Go Frog-Gigging, Lance!

Garrison Hilliard

Guest
Armstrong considering comeback to rile French

JEAN LAFOND

LANCE Armstrong has confirmed that he is considering coming out of retirement in
response to reports that he used a performance-enhancing blood booster in the
1999 Tour de France.

The Texan retired in July after winning his seventh consecutive Tour de France
and declared "I'm finished." He said he wanted to spend a few days "with a beer,
having a blast" with time dedicated to playing with his three children.

But he has spent the last two weeks angrily denying reports by the French
newspaper L'Equipe that said retrospective tests showed he used the banned
substance EPO (erythropoietin) in 1999.

"While I'm absolutely enjoying my time as a retired athlete with Sheryl [Crow]
and the kids, the recent smear campaign out of France has awoken my competitive
side," said Armstrong last night. "I'm not willing to put a percentage on the
chances but I will no longer rule it out."

Armstrong first hinted that he might ride again in comments made to the Austin
American-Statesman on Monday this week. "I'm thinking it's the best way, to
anger the French," he told the newspaper. "I'm exercising every day."

The news caught even Armstrong's close associates by surprise. Earlier
yesterday, Armstrong's spokesman Mark Higgins had described the cyclist's
comments to the newspaper as a joke. Later, he corrected that impression.

"He's definitely a retired athlete, (but) he's still fit and riding every day,
still thinking about racing," said Higgins after a phone conversation with
Armstrong. "He said it's definitely something he's been thinking about and that
the door is still open."

Armstrong's comments also surprised officials with his Discovery Channel team.

"That to me sounds very Lance-like," said team manager Dan Osipow. "It leaves
things open and the motivation seems pretty clear. He is immensely proud of his
reputation."

Osipow said the team will soon evaluate its roster for the 2006 season.

"He owns part of the team. If there's a certain rider from Texas who wants to
join the team, we'll have space.

"Lance was pretty definitive when he announced his plans for retirement. But
circumstances change. Who knows?"

There were no tests to detect EPO, a drug that increases the level of red blood
cells and endurance, in 1999. However, samples from the 1999 Tour de France were
kept and have been recently retested by a laboratory based outside Paris.

Armstrong has steadfastly denied ever taking performance-enhancing drugs.

The prospect of a possible comeback overshadowed news of Armstrong's engagement
to rock star Sheryl Crow. No wedding date has been set, although it is likely to
be a spring ceremony.

The couple met in October 2003 and began dating a short time later. It will be
the second time down the aisle for Armstrong, who has three children with
ex-wife Kristin.

http://sport.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1902072005

Garrison Hilliard wrote:
> The prospect of a possible comeback overshadowed news of Armstrong's engagement
> to rock star Sheryl Crow. No wedding date has been set, although it is likely to
> be a spring ceremony.

I'm tired of hearing about Lance Armstrong and his engagement and now
his decision to do another TdF to end the drug rumors. I don't think
Lance is going to go quietly into any goodnight. He is happy in the
spotlight if you ask me, and he intends to stay there. I wish he
would just get married and get involved in some much needed causes to
benefit the United States. Or run for political office or something.
In the whole scheme of things, who the heck cares who he is marrying,
why he is marrying her and what the French think about him. Why
doesn't he just move on into a new phase of his life. Go out in a
blaze of glory.
Maggie

Maggie wrote:

> I'm tired of hearing about Lance Armstrong and his engagement and now
> his decision to do another TdF to end the drug rumors. I don't think
> Lance is going to go quietly into any goodnight. He is happy in the
> spotlight if you ask me, and he intends to stay there. I wish he
> would just get married and get involved in some much needed causes to
> benefit the United States. Or run for political office or something.

Hard to run for political office when you have no college degree.
Lance isn't coming back, he is just having fun pulling the chains
of anyone who believes that he might.

Maggie wrote:
:: Garrison Hilliard wrote:
::: The prospect of a possible comeback overshadowed news of
::: Armstrong's engagement to rock star Sheryl Crow. No wedding date
::: has been set, although it is likely to be a spring ceremony.
:::
::
::
:: I'm tired of hearing about Lance Armstrong and his engagement and now
:: his decision to do another TdF to end the drug rumors. I don't think
:: Lance is going to go quietly into any goodnight. He is happy in the
:: spotlight if you ask me, and he intends to stay there. I wish he
:: would just get married and get involved in some much needed causes to
:: benefit the United States. Or run for political office or something.
:: In the whole scheme of things, who the heck cares who he is marrying,
:: why he is marrying her and what the French think about him. Why
:: doesn't he just move on into a new phase of his life. Go out in a
:: blaze of glory.
:: Maggie

Because competing at bike racing is what he does - best. And, he's very,
very good at it. Think about it.

"Maggie" <[email protected]> wrote

> I wish he
> would just get married and get involved in some much needed causes to
> benefit the United States.

Maybe Brian and he can find something together.

--
I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I know: the only ones
among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found

http://spaces.msn.com/members/flomblog/

"chiefhiawatha" <[email protected]> wrote

> Hard to run for political office when you have no college degree.

A college degree is a prerequisite for running for political office?

--

"Jim Flom " <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "Maggie" <[email protected]> wrote
>>
>> I wish he
>> would just get married and get involved in some much needed causes to
>> benefit the United States.

> Maybe Brian and he can find something together.

Snore.

--
Truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it;
but, in the end; there it is.

I would wake up Brian and quit telling him to "shut up!" (and post in
English) if he would make such a noble effort.

=Ken=
(didn't Harry S. Truman not have a complete college education?)

[email protected] wrote:
> Angry woman who's probably too ugly to find a man. Chill out, Maggie!
> Accept your fate like Janet Reno has done!

I is gorgeous baby.

Maggie

Maggie wrote:

> I'm tired of hearing about Lance Armstrong and his engagement and now
> his decision to do another TdF to end the drug rumors. I don't think
> Lance is going to go quietly into any goodnight. He is happy in the
> spotlight if you ask me, and he intends to stay there. I wish he
> would just get married and get involved in some much needed causes to
> benefit the United States. Or run for political office or something.
> In the whole scheme of things, who the heck cares who he is marrying,
> why he is marrying her and what the French think about him. Why
> doesn't he just move on into a new phase of his life. Go out in a
> blaze of glory.

It must suck to be so famous that you can't do or say anything without
it becoming a headline.

At the same time, how might it feel to be famous because you really are
superior in your chosen field? I'll never know, and I'm guessing you
won't, either, Maggie. Most famous people are famous by accident.

The fact that Armstrong is that one-in-a-million perfect confluence of
athlete and sport is galling to the haters, who simply can't accept
that they (or their national favorites) will never be as good as he is,
no matter how hard they try or how much they suffer, because nobody can
prepare better than he does PLUS he has a physical edge.

If you don't want to hear about Armstrong, stay away from cycling,
discussions of cycling, and anything to do with cancer survivorship.
Because in those areas, he is a giant.

RichC

Every time I heard of Lance Armstrong, it reminds me of drug, not
cycling. Lance represents
drug and drug addict both legal and illegal. His body was aid by
physical enhancement drug.
That's how he won the tourment over and over again. OF course, the
drug was remained
in his body for many years to come. He is not a god or superman. .
He is just a regular human being who happen
to be around with a team of scietists who know the best how to beat
the system. American system is
corrupt system up on the higher level while the down middle level among
middle-class is made up
of brainwashed people. Lance is superhero for many Americans. LIke
HOllywood movie, they really believe
superhero.

I'd love to see Lance come back. I just don't see what point there is to
coming back and racing to win another Tour de France. Come back and race to
win Flanders and Amstel and Liege or maybe the Giro and/or Vuelta. I'd love
to see him come back and mount a serious Classics campaign. But to come
back and win another TdF?

Yawn.

--
Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

rdclark wrote:
> If you don't want to hear about Armstrong, stay away from cycling,
> discussions of cycling, and anything to do with cancer survivorship.
> Because in those areas, he is a giant.
>
> RichC

Lance is making more news as a cancer survivor and as Mr. Sheryl than
he is as a cyclist nowadays. Really. Whenever he is in the news, it
is about his upcoming marriage, his supposed drug use, and the way he
beat cancer. I very rarely see anything about his training or anything
related to his training or anything bicycle related. Its Sheryl, drugs,
will he run for politics, why the French hate him, did he use drugs,
did he get captured by aliens who gave him super human strength and all
that other tabloid ****.

Staying away from the two areas you mentioned will not stop people from
hearing about Lance. He has moved far from just being in the sport of
cycling. He has moved to a wider arena. The arena of Tabloid press.
He is everywhere now, and more people know him than knew him years ago.
And not because of cycling. This is fact Jack. People who have no
interest at all in bikes, or the sport now know this man. He is
everywhere!
Maggie.
Maggie

"Every time I heard of Lance Armstrong, it reminds me of drug, not
cycling. Lance represents
drug and drug addict both legal and illegal. His body was aid by
physical enhancement drug.
That's how he won the tourment over and over again. OF course, the
drug was remained
in his body for many years to come. He is not a god or superman. .
He is just a regular human being who happen
to be around with a team of scietists who know the best how to beat
the system. American system is..."

So -- you MUST be the yellow journalism liar who writes for L'Equipe
then, ehh?

Go away. You hate pro sports anyway.

-Ken

Maggie wrote:
:: rdclark wrote:
[...]

Wrong....it is primarily because of cycling combined with beating cancer.
No one wants to hear about training, true, but drug, sex, and rock & roll
creates interest.

--

i agree 100%. who is advising lance on this tour thing? either way it
goes, he comes out a loser. if he decides not to race, he looks like

subrok wrote:

> i agree 100%. who is advising lance on this tour thing? either way it
> goes, he comes out a loser. if he decides not to race, he looks like
> he's all bark and no bite, and if he does ride, he looks like an
> ungracious pro who can't spend a minute out of the spotlight. there's
> nothing left to prove, lance. people want to believe that champions are
> motivated by hope, not vengeance.

Maybe I'm way off here, but isn't is possible that he enjoys doing the
Tour every year and likes to win? If so, what's wrong with that?

Roger Zoul wrote:
> Wrong....it is primarily because of cycling combined with beating cancer.
> No one wants to hear about training, true, but drug, sex, and rock & roll
> creates interest.

It does not create interest.....Americans thrive on it. That is why
the owners of rag mags make a ton of money. People love DRAMA!!

Maggie. (Drama Queen)

"k.papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Every time I heard of Lance Armstrong, it reminds me of drug, not
> cycling. Lance represents
> drug and drug addict both legal and illegal. His body was aid by
> physical enhancement drug.
> That's how he won the tourment over and over again. OF course, the
> drug was remained
> in his body for many years to come. He is not a god or superman. .
> He is just a regular human being who happen
> to be around with a team of scietists who know the best how to beat
> the system. American system is..."
>
> So -- you MUST be the yellow journalism liar who writes for L'Equipe
> then, ehh?
>
> Go away. You hate pro sports anyway.
>
> -Ken

You are soooooo boring. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz