Going Campy for a new frame, Chorus or Record?

cucamelsmd15

Apr 6, 2005
I can get the groups for about $250 price difference. Would it be worth it to go with the Record over the Chorus or vice versa? This bike will be raced, but also used for commuting and daily rides. Thoughts?

Only real difference is the price and finish. '06 Chorus is as good as '04 Record.

The snob appeal is kind of nice, but functionally there is no difference. Weight is a non-issue. People obsess about weight when aerodynamics is way more important. Spend the money on wheels or a power meter.

Ignore the pragmatical brutes who tell you Chorus is just as good. Grin and bear the extra $250. What does it signify? The pain will be gone in a few weeks. Thereafter, and for years to come, the mere sight of Campy record will bring delight to your mind and pleasure to your heart.

:D:D:D:D

Doesn't matter really. Record = status, Chorus=functionality, and don't forget Centaur=best bang for the buck of any gruppo on the market. The real difference is Record has ceramic bearings...if you are going to ride for the next 30 years that would be the best. If you can afford Record go for it!

I have all 3 gruppos on my various bikes and functionally there is no difference.

cucamelsmd15 said:
I can get the groups for about $250 price difference. Would it be worth it to go with the Record over the Chorus or vice versa? This bike will be raced, but also used for commuting and daily rides. Thoughts?
$250 difference? For me that's a no-brainer. Record. Chorus is a nice group, but if you're not saving a ton of money, why not opt for the best.

cucamelsmd15 said:
. Thoughts?
Shimano :p :D

the hoods feels much nicer, unless the 10-speed Campag stuff has changed in recent years.

I also don't like the way the cables come out of the bars on Campag. This is probably just a one-off, and I know the cables have 2 exit options, but a friend of mine has a smallish bike (53cm) with a short stem (90mm), and the cables are jammed up so tight from the bars and down along the head-tube that it affects his steering! He can't ride no-hands coz the bars don't move at all freely.

Chuck731 said:
Ignore the pragmatical brutes who tell you Chorus is just as good. Grin and bear the extra $250. What does it signify? The pain will be gone in a few weeks. Thereafter, and for years to come, the mere sight of Campy record will bring delight to your mind and pleasure to your heart.

:D:D:D:D

Oh how I totally agree... :)

531Aussie said:

the hoods feels much nicer, unless the 10-speed Campag stuff has changed in recent years.

I also don't like the way the cables come out of the bars on Campag. This is probably just a one-off, and I know the cables have 2 exit options, but a friend of mine has a smallish bike (53cm) with a short stem (90mm), and the cables are jammed up so tight from the bars and down along the head-tube that it affects his steering! He can't ride no-hands coz the bars don't move at all freely.
I'll give you that about the hoods. My winter bike has Ultegra (Primary ride has Record) and I almost forgot how much I liked the hoods...Plus they are easier to use with a heavy winter glove. Regarding the cables, it sounds like your friend might need to re-do the cables and housings with a little more slack. Mine move just as freely as the Shimano (130mm stem though, but it shouldn't matter..).

531Aussie said:

Actually, half the reason I went with Campy was because the hoods were comfortable. I have Shimano stuff now, and after riding the Campy, I found out what I had been missing. The Shimano just digs my hands a little too much.

I say go with Chorus b/c it's good enough for 99% of the riders out there. But if you have your heart set on Record and you can afford it, then go for it.

Dieseldan said:
Only real difference is the price and finish. '06 Chorus is as good as '04 Record.

This issue has been brought up 100 times in the past here on the forums.

Chorus is Record - minus the Titanium bolts(which are nice to have over time... alum. will eventually round out)... and Record does have nicer/more durable cranks/cassette rings. I've been told / and have noticed on a Chorus BB I once had.... that the bearings on Record are better/nicer then Chorus (hubs / BB).

If it were me... where ever I decieded to buy the components from, I'd have them price match who ever has the best deal around. Get Chorus, but swap out the BB + hubs for Record ;) ...... its roughly a $125-150 difference in doing so. Also, leave out the Chorus head-set... and spend an extra $50 and get a KING baby !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Over time, its worth it. Then boooooom , if you do the BB/Hubs/Head-set situation = how much $$ a Record Groupo would be.

Also, with that $250 savings you were talking about..... you could reinvest that $250 into a Campy Chorus/ or Record Carbon Crankset- if you went the Chorus groupo route.

Most places I've seen, the difference between the two groups is about $400... not $250 . If thats the deal you can get, then get Record...... and use the cold-forged crankset for a while.... till later if you want the Carbon version.

Earlier in the week I posed a similar question, I needed a 13/29 Cassette for my all Record Six13...I was considering Chorus, I called my LBS and he had a Chorus in stock...when I got there I asked if he had a Record version, he did, the last one...he told me there's no difference, only the weight, which is negligable....but as I was standing there I thought, Bollocks, I'll keep the bike Record...the extra money is spent and a thing of the past and the Bike IS still "Full Record"

In your case, if you think about it, $250 goes nowhere these Days,...so if you WANT Record, then go for it....you can use the Grouppo on your next Bike...the Parts are rebuildable so it could last you for ever...mind you, so will Chorus...

cucamelsmd15 said:

Jaguar27 said:
Earlier in the week I posed a similar question, I needed a 13/29 Cassette for my all Record Six13...I was considering Chorus, I called my LBS and he had a Chorus in stock...when I got there I asked if he had a Record version, he did, the last one...he told me there's no difference, only the weight, which is negligable....but as I was standing there I thought, Bollocks, I'll keep the bike Record...the extra money is spent and a thing of the past and the Bike IS still "Full Record"

Your right.. it is still full Record, but Cassettes do wear out after XXXX's thousands of miles/ if properly maintained- chains replaced every 1200 or so miles... will go a little extra. There is a $100 difference between Chorus + Record cassettes. Even though like I said before about Record rings/cassettes being a bit more durable , with the cassette situation I'd go Chorus... unless I was hard-core CAT 1 - semi-pro racer. ;)

To the origional poster, I'd go with that Record deal you were talking about for an extra $250.... but get a Chorus cassette(which will save some $$ there) , and in exchange GET a King headset. Also, if you need a seat-post..... the Chorus Carbon should be good enough... and it will also save you some $$, or if you could find a Chorus/Titanium seatpost... that would also be nice as well (durability issues w/ Carbon posts.... maybe , not too many durability issues w/ Ti. posts).

This is one of those decisions that you can answer with your brain, or your heart, although you've shown a high degree of class in just arriving at this choice.

Your brain says get the most logical combination of components - Chorus is close enough to Record.

Your heart says - get Record, because it's what you've always wanted.

Not to wax in too maudlin a fashion, but do you ride because it's a logical thing to do, or do you ride because you love doing it?

I've been riding a Chorus 10 group for almost four years now. Bulletproof, never out of adjustment, crisp action... but if I could have bought Record for another $250, I'd have done it.

JohnO said:
Not to wax in too maudlin a fashion, but do you ride because it's a logical thing to do, or do you ride because you love doing it?
If he wanted logic, it would be a question of Xenon or Mirage.:)

Adam-from-SLO said:
Your right.. it is still full Record, but Cassettes do wear out after XXXX's thousands of miles/ if properly maintained- chains replaced every 1200 or so miles... will go a little extra. There is a $100 difference between Chorus + Record cassettes. Even though like I said before about Record rings/cassettes being a bit more durable , with the cassette situation I'd go Chorus... unless I was hard-core CAT 1 - semi-pro racer. ;)

To the origional poster, I'd go with that Record deal you were talking about for an extra $250.... but get a Chorus cassette(which will save some $$ there) , and in exchange GET a King headset. Also, if you need a seat-post..... the Chorus Carbon should be good enough... and it will also save you some $$, or if you could find a Chorus/Titanium seatpost... that would also be nice as well (durability issues w/ Carbon posts.... maybe , not too many durability issues w/ Ti. posts).
I already have a King headset:p

Im going with the Record, and a Eurus wheelset, because when bought together, it sweetens the package and saves me a bit of money as well. Ill probably buy a Chorus cassette to go on the set of training wheels, and race with the Record. Weight isnt really an issue, so I wont be buying carbon cranks or anything like that. I got the Record anyway, that should give me enough snob appeal;)

cucamelsmd15 said:
I already have a King headset:p

Im going with the Record, and a Eurus wheelset, because when bought together, it sweetens the package and saves me a bit of money as well. Ill probably buy a Chorus cassette to go on the set of training wheels, and race with the Record. Weight isnt really an issue, so I wont be buying carbon cranks or anything like that. I got the Record anyway, that should give me enough snob appeal;)

Nice !

Back in 1997 , when 9-speed first began.... I bought a nice frameset, and put Record 9-speed on it ! It still rolls solid, and still shifts crisply ;) Also, come to think of it, I did buy a Chorus cassette for it = about $50 vs. about $110 for Record.

Mixing Record w/Chorus does sing sweet music though... cannot have one, without the other :)

cucamelsmd15 said:
Actually, half the reason I went with Campy was because the hoods were comfortable. I have Shimano stuff now, and after riding the Campy, I found out what I had been missing. The Shimano just digs my hands a little too much.
Ah well, each to their own :)

Then I'd definitely go for Record.

I'd go for Record, it's only a little more money for a lot more snob value, to me anyway :cool: just took delivery of my 06 Record group, bought it from http://www.cyclingmailorder.com/ as they were the cheapest by far. Just waiting for my new frame to arrive now...............