Going from 12-26 cassette to 11-34

boudreaux said:
Well, that's just all wrong headed thinking. Triples give you low gears and close to relatively close cog spacing.Everything else is a compromise.
That may be true, but the whole point of this is to get into a gear range that is perfectly suited for the person and the riding conditions. It might take a triple up front. It might mean customized cassettes in the back. As long as every gear is used to its fullest potential. Anything extra is a waste.

boudreaux said:
Well, that is just BS too.
Well then, BS it is and full of it I am. You set up your bike the way you like and I'll do the same with mine. If you like carrying unneeded or unused gears around or using less-than-optimal gear ratios, then that's your choice. Me, I have money to burn on optimizing and I get a kick out of tweaking my bikes. Good day and safe riding to you.

Danian said:
Well then, BS it is and full of it I am. If you like carrying unneeded or unused gears around or using less-than-optimal gear ratios, then that's your choice.
Well, at least you got one thing right..........AFWIW, single, double,compact or triple, I seem to be able to find a resonable use for all the gear combinations,save the extreme crossovers. If you worry about the weight of a few extra cogs or a few duplicate ones, you probably have bigger issues.

Danian said:
Weight weenies would also appreciate the loss of an unneeded chainring.
Consider the extra weight of a 11x34 casette,vs the weight of an aluminum 30t granny ring, and some aluminum mounting bolts. You can get a way with a short cage RD with a triple so there is no extra there,and a triple ultegra FD only adds about another 7 grams. Methinks you are barking up the wrong tree.

boudreaux said:
Consider the extra weight of a 11x34 casette,vs the weight of an aluminum 30t granny ring, and some aluminum mounting bolts. You can get a way with a short cage RD with a triple so there is no extra there,and a triple ultegra FD only adds about another 7 grams. Methinks you are barking up the wrong tree.
My reference to the "weight weenies" was somewhat tongue-in-check, directed at those people who chose not to wear socks to save on the weight.

What's interesting here is your insistence on how wrong you think I am by not going with a triple crank or considering changing my rear cassette. At this point, it's all a non-issue. As I said at the beginning, the FSA Carbon Pro Elite Compact 50/34 cranks have been ordered and they will be installed. Period. If and only if they do not give me sufficient range, I will NOT put money into buying a triple crank, but instead consider changing the rear cassette to achieve my goal range. The intent of this thread was to see what was possible. I would appreciate it not turning into one of those "I'm right and you're all wrong" threads. Good day to you.

Danian said:
My reference to the "weight weenies" was somewhat tongue-in-check, directed at those people who chose not to wear socks to save on the weight.

The intent of this thread was to see what was possible. I would appreciate it not turning into one of those "I'm right and you're all wrong" threads. Good day to you.
I don't wear on stinkin sox,and you are the one that thinks you've got it all right.

boudreaux said:
I don't wear on stinkin sox,and you are the one that thinks you've got it all right.

well I'm runnig a 52/39 chainrings
and 14-32 5speed freewheel
the only problem is it catchs on the 32 goin on and off
had a 28 and it didnt do it
so hoping to find a mtb derailer maybe a Deore
to fix this
also been told a vintage Suntour GT which is long cage will take care of it

TechJD said:
well I'm runnig a 52/39 chainrings
and 14-32 5speed freewheel
the only problem is it catchs on the 32 goin on and off
had a 28 and it didnt do it
so hoping to find a mtb derailer maybe a Deore
to fix this
also been told a vintage Suntour GT which is long cage will take care of it
Yeah if you want mess with trying to find the right vintage stuff in good condition at a reasonable price. Some if it would even shift a 38 cog.

Keep it civil gents.This post is useful and informative.

Dont put off newer forum members or riders like myself with your E-peen measuring.

Roadrash Dunc said:
Perhaps the custom 13-30 is the best option then (a standard 12-27 but removed the 12t and has a 30t at the top)

Still seems extremely expensive at 100 dollars when i can buy a 12-27 in the UK quite easily for 25 GBP.

11-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-32 is an MTB 9spd. Whys that suck so much compared to 12-13-14-15-17-19-21-24-27.
Theres no jump too drastic and plenty of cover at both ends for climbing and rolling.
I guess i cant have it perfect both ways.If i was spending all day on the flat i wouldnt have this problem.

You could get that 12-27 and customize it to 12-30 yourself if you can find a source for a loose 30T cog. Simply take out the 14T and spacer and put the 30T cog and the spacer on before the remaining cogs from the 12-27. Harris Cyclery at www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/index.html used to have loose 30T cogs but they are no longer on the web page.

What's wrong with your LBS's everywhere? Where I live, there are 4 LBS in a radius of 10km and I am sure at least half of them has a 30t cog or can at least order them. Same thing with all the other stuff that much people have trouble finding. It seems the service in Europe is better.

tosh_84 said:
What's wrong with your LBS's everywhere? Where I live, there are 4 LBS in a radius of 10km and I am sure at least half of them has a 30t cog or can at least order them. Same thing with all the other stuff that much people have trouble finding. It seems the service in Europe is better.

They probably are better over there
here in the U.S. very few people take pride in their work anymore
it's get`em in and get`em out, if it's not exactly right bluff the customer into thinking it is
Tell the customer it's fine and that it's the way they are doin it is wrong
they will believe ya
bad part is they(the customer) usally do believe them, and once it's out the door they can always say well
you did something to it when you bring it back
and if you do fine someone that does it right they want an arm and leg to do it

I just wanted to thank everyone who gave useful replies. I ended up not having to change my cassette. Switching to the FSA Pro Carbon Compact Elite 50/34 crankset was all I needed to get me into the perfect gear range for me. I went for an extended ride today on varied terrain and although I went through the entire range of gears, I never needed any more gears than I had. Anyway, it's still nice to know I have other options in case I decide I want to climb steeper hills. Thanks for your collective help!