General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Going Walking at Hogmany?

Started by Kro · · Last activity · 30 posts · 804 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
16 January 2004
Last activity
16 January 2004
Original author
Kro
Posts
30
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
804
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–30 of 30
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Phil Cook said:

    Sgor na h-Ulaidh. Beinn Fhionnlaidh.

    Animated panorama here

    Very nice Phil. Pity about the burnt out sky in the sun direction but that's one of the problems
    with panos, isn't it?

    Paul
    --
    Calendars for 2004
    wildwales.fsnet.co.ukcal.html
    wilderness-wales.co.ukwilderness-wales.co.uk
    photosig.comuserphotos

  2. Paul Saunders said:
    Phil Cook said:

    Sgor na h-Ulaidh. Beinn Fhionnlaidh.

    Animated panorama here

    Very nice Phil. Pity about the burnt out sky in the sun direction but that's one of the problems
    with panos, isn't it?

    Yep. Fixable if you take your time (on shoot and later in Photoshop) shooting multiple exposures for
    that area of the sky, just as you would with any high contrast subject.
    --
    Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

  3. "KRO" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]... <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    I set off intending to do both Meall a Bhuiridh and Creise, starting from Blackrock Cottage, the
    initial "up" took me an hour as the snow got deeper, (maintenance staff zipping overhead on the
    skilift!) the "flat" bit across Coire Pollach took almost an hour through ski fences etc. No sign
    of Creise. On the last uphill section the wind increased, snow deepened and at a couple of stages
    was reduced to crawling up rather than having my feet sink in soft snow up past the knees
    (snowshoes anyone?). I had a breather in a small shed at the top next to the skilift and it's not
    more than 5 mins from there. Visibility was very poor due to flying snow and ice hitting my face
    and eyes (goggles anyone?) and I nearly lost my rucksack over the side at the cairn while trying
    to take a picture. Creise well and truly cancelled. I zoomed down back to the car in 3/4 hour
    though and am now sitting at


    home

    Quoted message said:

    letting dinner digest (drink anyone?).

    Sounds like you've earned the drink allright. Seasons Greetings to everyone.
    --

    Bernie Get back on the wagon to reply..

  4. "KRO" <[email hidden]> wrote in :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    I set off intending to do both Meall a Bhuiridh and Creise, starting from Blackrock Cottage, the
    initial "up" took me an hour as the snow got deeper, (maintenance staff zipping overhead on the
    skilift!) the "flat" bit across Coire Pollach took almost an hour through ski fences etc. No sign
    of Creise. On the last uphill section the wind increased, snow deepened and at a couple of stages
    was reduced to crawling up rather than having my feet sink in soft snow up past the knees
    (snowshoes anyone?). I had a breather in a small shed at the top next to the skilift and it's not
    more than 5 mins from there. Visibility was very poor due to flying snow and ice hitting my face
    and eyes (goggles anyone?) and I nearly lost my rucksack over the side at the cairn while trying
    to take a picture. Creise well and truly cancelled.

    Shame. I had an inversion up there a short while back. (smug grin anyone?)

    Quoted message said:

    I zoomed down back to the car in 3/4 hour though and am now sitting at home letting dinner digest
    (drink anyone?). For anyone going between Loch Lomond and Glencoe direction, the roads are in
    quite a slippy condition. At least one crash spotted on the way southwards.

    Snowdrifts along Loch Lomond on Tuesday. Mainly flattened but some over-cautions motorists made
    progress rather slooooow.

    Quoted message said:


    Happy New Year

    KRO

    And from me to all.

    --
    Adrian

  5. padraig said:
    (Chris Street) said:

    Well we had six inches dumped in the peak district which made it a little unpleaseant and very
    awkward to get the cars out this morning. Mind you we didn't care much as we were tucked into a
    nice warm(ish) camping barn for New years eve.

    Melting now fast with the rain that's been coming down, and the gloom is lifting a little.

    Quoted message said:

    We turned back in a sleety blizzard from our walk up onto Kinder (from the Snake Inn) this morning,
    at the ~500 metre point below the final steep bit of Fairbrook Naze. The snow (quite a few >knee-
    high drifts) was melting really quickly and everything was turning into a horrid sloppy mess.

    Sloppy mess sounds about right. It wasn't pleasant when it started thawing that's for sure!

    Quoted message said:


    It was quite bracing.

    Umm. This is a new word meaning bitterly cold and blowing a gale isn't it?

    --
    79.84% of all statistics are made up on the spot. The other 42% are made up later on. In Warwick -
    looking at flat fields and that includes the castle.

  6. KRO said:


    Quoted message said:


    I set off intending to do both Meall a Bhuiridh and Creise

    We restricted ourselves to the pap that day, and that was quite hard enough in the conditions!

  7. Gordon said:

    Just pondering whether to take off for a couple of miles to start shedding the 6lbs I have gained
    since before Xmas......

    Is that all? I put on more than that last month. Ah well, binge time over...

    Thought I'd do an epic walk to bring in the New Year, so I went for a stroll through town to Boots
    the Chemist to buy some flu tablets and throat spray for this cold/flu that I've had for two weeks
    that I can't get rid of. Sky mostly cloudy but a little bit of pleasant sunshine breaking through.
    Quite calm, not too cold.

    Paul
    --
    Calendars for 2004
    wildwales.fsnet.co.ukcal.html
    wilderness-wales.co.ukwilderness-wales.co.uk
    photosig.comuserphotos

  8. On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 18:13:33 GMT, [email hidden] (Chris
    Street) wrote:

    [snipped]

    Quoted message said:

    Sloppy mess sounds about right. It wasn't pleasant when it started thawing that's for sure!

    It was remarkable quite how quickly everything was thawing. We'd been quite smug on the way up about
    the frozen ground. On the way back it was beginning to get a bit squelchy.

    I imagine that the appropriate rivers were moderately energetic today.

    I might try to fit in a stroll along the river (Trent) tomorrow and see if all the extra water has
    made it as far as here yet.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    It was quite bracing.

    Umm. This is a new word meaning bitterly cold and blowing a gale isn't it?

    It is. I learnt this particular usage at a conference in Skegness one Easter.

    take care padraig

    --
    email - webmaster at sacktheboard dot com email addresses in From: and Reply-To: fields are valid
    but unread

  9. [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:

    Thought I'd do an epic walk to bring in the New Year, so I went for a stroll through town to Boots
    the Chemist to buy some flu tablets and throat spray for this cold/flu that I've had for two weeks
    that I can't get rid of.


    Poor you :-(

    I was all set to post my TR about how I wrestled with and conquered the Wrekin on new year's day...
    but the appalling weather the night before in the Mudlands rather put paid to that and so I spent
    the day curled up with a book or three[1] borrowed from the friends with whom we were staying.

    [1] Vaguely related to walking in that the characters of this particular series of children's books
    live surrounded by Austrian mountains and they often go for walks. What's more, they even -
    occasionally - return from them unscathed! :-)
    --
    Fran If you need my email address please ask.

  10. padraig said:

    On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 18:13:33 GMT, [email hidden] (Chris Street) wrote:

    [snipped]

    Quoted message said:

    Sloppy mess sounds about right. It wasn't pleasant when it started thawing that's for sure!

    It was remarkable quite how quickly everything was thawing. We'd been quite smug on the way up
    about the frozen ground. On the way back it was beginning to get a bit squelchy.

    Well come about 00.01 on the first we looked out of the barn to see in then New Year and found about
    a foot of snow and a blizzard. Come the morning it was raining and there was a couple of inches and
    a Glastonbury-esque sea of mud in the car park.

    Quoted message said:


    I imagine that the appropriate rivers were moderately energetic today.

    I might try to fit in a stroll along the river (Trent) tomorrow and see if all the extra water has
    made it as far as here yet.

    The Avon and Leam were up a fair bit but they are subsiding nicely now.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    It was quite bracing.

    Umm. This is a new word meaning bitterly cold and blowing a gale isn't it?

    It is. I learnt this particular usage at a conference in Skegness one Easter.

    LOL! I have a town brocure from the eighties from Skeggy that lists at the bottom....

    Temperatures

    Generally acceptable.

    Skies.

    Clear and sunny in summer.

    Air.

    Bracing and salty.

    Quoted message said:


    take care padraig

    --
    79.84% of all statistics are made up on the spot. The other 42% are made up later on. In Warwick -
    looking at flat fields and that includes the castle.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.