Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Good Canti's, or go linear?

Started by neil0502 · · Last activity · 8 posts · 758 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
24 April 2004
Last activity
25 April 2004
Original author
neil0502
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
758
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. The shifters on my old MTB blew out last week. Replaced them, the bars,
    and all cables. That all seems fine.

    Pulled off my cantilever brakes, f&r, greased studs, then looked the
    parts over. Pads have dry rot, hardware is rusted. Small parts add up
    quickly. I'd like to replace.

    My ?'s : Seems like there are some pretty good canti's on the market
    right now, reasonably priced (e.g., Avids). There's also the option of
    using a pulley gizmo (Sheldon Brown's article: http://tinyurl.com/37fcx)
    and installing a direct-pull brake.

    Are canti's dated technology, or a brake that's applicable only to
    tourers and obsolete MTB's? I never had a problem setting them up, or
    getting an appropriate degree of mechanical advantage. Are direct-pulls
    just a better design, and worth any compromise that the 'Travel Agent'
    gizmo might imply? Should the brake boss care which I put on?

    TIA

    Neil

    --

  2. neil0502 said:

    The shifters on my old MTB blew out last week. Replaced them, the bars,
    and all cables. That all seems fine.

    Pulled off my cantilever brakes, f&r, greased studs, then looked the
    parts over. Pads have dry rot, hardware is rusted. Small parts add up
    quickly. I'd like to replace.

    My ?'s : Seems like there are some pretty good canti's on the market
    right now, reasonably priced (e.g., Avids). There's also the option of
    using a pulley gizmo (Sheldon Brown's article: http://tinyurl.com/37fcx)
    and installing a direct-pull brake.

    Are canti's dated technology, or a brake that's applicable only to
    tourers and obsolete MTB's? I never had a problem setting them up, or
    getting an appropriate degree of mechanical advantage. Are direct-pulls
    just a better design, and worth any compromise that the 'Travel Agent'
    gizmo might imply? Should the brake boss care which I put on?

    TIA

    Neil

    One of the Avid cantis has a reputation for squealing. I don't know if
    this is because of the design or because lots of talkative people
    don't know how to set them up....

    I have no problems with cantilever brakes. I have
    linear/v-brake/direct pull on one bike and cantis on another (and dual
    pivots on the road bike). Each is different, but both work well.
    Unless you are having problems braking, feeling unsafe, I wouldn't
    encourage you to go to direct pull.

    I never feel unsafe with cantis, but I do occasionally go overboard
    with the direct pull and come close to locking up a wheel when it
    isn't a good thing to do. The direct pull take a more delicate touch.
    A short range between just starting to brake and full pressure.

    For the cost of the travel agents, you can get brake levers for direct
    pull brakes, can't you? Why clutter the bike up? I think that the
    travel agents are worth looking at if you have integrated
    brake/shifters, but if they are separate, just get new levers.

  3. neil0502 said:

    Are canti's dated technology, or a brake that's applicable only to
    tourers and obsolete MTB's? I never had a problem setting them up, or
    getting an appropriate degree of mechanical advantage. Are direct-pulls
    just a better design, and worth any compromise that the 'Travel Agent'
    gizmo might imply? Should the brake boss care which I put on?

    Cantis work fine (as long as they're set up right), and I personally
    prefer the "feel" to linear brakes. In fact, I still run cantis on
    the back of all my personal MTBs (though I had to switch to linear
    brakes on the front because forks no longer come with cable hangers).

    Linear brakes can have a slight advantage in mechanical advantage, and
    are usually (not always) easier to set up.

    Cantis tend to squeal less, have better modulation, and the pads are
    thicker (last longer). They also allow for greater pad to rim
    clearance, which can come in handy if you tweak a wheel in the middle
    of a ride/race.

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $695 ti frame

  4. Quoted message said:

    Cantis work fine (as long as they're set up right), and I personally
    prefer the "feel" to linear brakes. In fact, I still run cantis on the
    back of all my personal MTBs (though I had to switch to linear brakes on
    the front because forks no longer come with cable hangers).
    Linear brakes can have a slight advantage in mechanical advantage, and
    are usually (not always) easier to set up.
    Cantis tend to squeal less, have better modulation, and the pads are
    thicker (last longer). They also allow for greater pad to rim clearance,
    which can come in handy if you tweak a wheel in the middle of a
    ride/race.
    Thanks, Dan. Great points, too.
    I noticed the same (squeal) issue cited almost universally regarding the
    XT V-brake. Hard to believe that you couldn't get around something like
    that with pads, proper setup, clean rims, etc., but maybe.... Had a
    squeal on the front Tektro canti (OEM) on my Cannondale tourer. C'Dale
    Wound up replacing the canti (Avids), the rim, then the whole frame
    before the squeal went away. Not anxious to re-visit that!
    My mtb has integrated brake levers/shifters. Sounds like new, decent
    cantis are the simplest approach.
    (...and Dan wrote):
    One of the Avid cantis has a reputation for squealing. I don't know if
    this is because of the design or because lots of talkative people don't
    know how to set them up....
    I have no problems with cantilever brakes. I have linear/v- brake/direct
    pull on one bike and cantis on another (and dual pivots on the road
    bike). Each is different, but both work well. Unless you are having
    problems braking, feeling unsafe, I wouldn't encourage you to go to
    direct pull.
    I never feel unsafe with cantis, but I do occasionally go overboard with
    the direct pull and come close to locking up a wheel when it isn't a
    good thing to do. The direct pull take a more delicate touch. A short
    range between just starting to brake and full pressure.
    For the cost of the travel agents, you can get brake levers for direct
    pull brakes, can't you? Why clutter the bike up? I think that the travel
    agents are worth looking at if you have integrated brake/shifters, but
    if they are separate, just get new levers.

    Thanks, Mark. Excellent points. I don't seem to have a problem setting
    up the cantis. I used to have roller cam brakes on my prior mtb. I
    figure, if you can keep those adjusted, the rest is gravy.

    (Mark wrote):

    --

  5. neil-<< My ?'s : Seems like there are some pretty good canti's on the market
    right now, reasonably priced (e.g., Avids). There's also the option of
    using a pulley gizmo (Sheldon Brown's article: http://tinyurl.com/37fcx)
    and installing a direct-pull brake. >><BR><BR>

    Save yer $ and get some nice cantis. No need for 'gizmos' and they work great.
    Avids, Tektros, shimano-all really nice.

    << Are canti's dated technology, or a brake that's applicable only to
    tourers and obsolete MTB's? >><BR><BR>

    Nope. V brakes are longer armed, more power but well set up cantis work just
    fine...

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com
    "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  6. neil0502 said:

    The shifters on my old MTB blew out last week. Replaced them, the bars,
    and all cables. That all seems fine.

    Pulled off my cantilever brakes, f&r, greased studs, then looked the
    parts over. Pads have dry rot, hardware is rusted. Small parts add up
    quickly. I'd like to replace.

    My ?'s : Seems like there are some pretty good canti's on the market
    right now, reasonably priced (e.g., Avids). There's also the option of
    using a pulley gizmo (Sheldon Brown's article: http://tinyurl.com/37fcx)
    and installing a direct-pull brake.

    Are canti's dated technology, or a brake that's applicable only to
    tourers and obsolete MTB's? I never had a problem setting them up, or
    getting an appropriate degree of mechanical advantage. Are direct-pulls
    just a better design, and worth any compromise that the 'Travel Agent'
    gizmo might imply? Should the brake boss care which I put on?

    V-brakes are lovely, although you'll have to get the right levers. A
    full Deore set including cables is very cheap and works better than
    anything else I've tried. The LX and higher V-brakes have parallel push
    arms, which can squeal like a pig if the pivots get sloppy. So
    personally I'd have the V-brakes :-)

  7. I don't think V-Dapters are made any more, so Sheldon's (and my) canti
    conversion is no longer an option, I believe. You could machine a piece
    of aluminum to accept a Travel Agent. But it's clunky.

    I recently switched out my V-Dapter canti converted uprights for a set
    of Tektro mini-v's and with a travel agent they work perfectly, even
    with STI road levers.

    http://www.bestwebbuys.com/bikes/search?isrc=i-home-search&q=tektro+mini-v

    - -

    "May you have the wind at your back.
    And a really low gear for the hills!"

    Chris Zacho ~ "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

    Chris'Z Corner
    http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

  8. "neil0502" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    and installing a direct-pull brake.

    Are canti's dated technology, or a brake that's applicable only to
    tourers and obsolete MTB's? I never had a problem setting them up, or
    getting an appropriate degree of mechanical advantage. Are direct-pulls
    just a better design, and worth any compromise that the 'Travel Agent'
    gizmo might imply? Should the brake boss care which I put on?

    I've switched a couple of bikes from canti to V, mostly because I got new
    brifters with V levers and didn't want to screw around with a mechanical
    advantage adjuster. I don't think it made any difference. Both types of brakes
    seem to work identically.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.