Good online classified or discount bike store?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Todd Nappi, May 2, 2003.

  1. Todd Nappi

    Todd Nappi Guest

    Hi, I've been to mtbreview.com classifieds, pretty good but sort of out of my price range. I'm
    looking at the $600 range, maybe a little more, so I was considering a used bike because that won't
    seem to buy me much new and everything is out of that price range. Right now I have a Diamonback
    Response, which I like, and just want to upgrade on it a little. I'm not a hard core off roader and
    I need something that is good in the urban environment. I was thinking full suspension. Any ideas or
    classifieds, or even better anyone selling anything in the NJ area? Thanks for the read, Todd

    Tags:

  2. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > Hi, I've been to mtbreview.com classifieds, pretty good but sort of out of my price range. I'm
    > looking at the $600 range, maybe a little more, so I was considering a used bike because that
    > won't seem to buy me much new and everything is out of that price range. Right now I have a
    > Diamonback Response, which I like, and just want to upgrade on it a little. I'm not a hard core
    > off roader and I need something that is good in the urban environment. I was thinking full
    > suspension. Any ideas or classifieds, or even better anyone selling anything in the NJ area?
    > Thanks for the read, Todd

    http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/tmp/fs_frame.jpg

    Front fork is dead (just there to hold up the frame). 6" of rear travel, and it has mounting points
    for V brakes or disks.

    It isn't a hard-core frame, and it is fairly heavy.

    You want it, it's yours.

    ~Travis
    --
    travis57 at megalink dot net

    travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronics, Owner/Founder/Developer

  3. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "Todd Nappi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I've been to mtbreview.com classifieds, pretty good but sort of out of my price range. I'm
    > looking at the $600 range, maybe a little more, so I was considering a used bike because that
    > won't seem to buy me much new and everything is out of that price range. Right now I have a
    > Diamonback Response, which I like, and just want to upgrade on it a little. I'm not a hard core
    > off roader and I need something that is good in the urban environment. I was thinking full
    > suspension. Any ideas or classifieds, or even better anyone selling anything in the NJ area?
    > Thanks for the read,

    Todd, are you handy with tools? Don't mind rebuilding wheel bearings, replacing cables, patching
    tubes, trueing wheels? If so, and if you have space in which to work, I recommend a lightly-used
    bike from Ebay or elsewhere. $600 should buy you a very nice 2 or 3 year old bike with high-end
    components. Shop smart. Know exactly what you're looking for. Ask a *lot* of questions, and demand
    straight answers (and photos to prove it). Honest sellers won't mind being helpful. Avoid all of the
    other sellers.

    MTBR.com is a pathetic shadow of what it was in the Good Old Days. I used to trade heavily on MTBR
    when the ads were free, and found some amazing deals, like a Voodoo Bizango frameset for $70 (it was
    scratched up; but no metal damage). Nowadays, the asking prices are ridiculous. Ebay is much more
    reasonable. If you're looking for a light high-end hardtail, and you don't mind 8-speed rear mechs,
    you can buy 'em for a song. There are hundreds and hundreds of beautiful older moutain bikes with
    under 100 miles on them that are essentially new, but selling for 1/5 of their retail value (or
    less) on Ebay.

    What is true of all auctions is true of Ebay: Bidders often bid too much. Don't fall into that trap.
    My technique is to look for auctions that end on weekdays at odd hours (when nobody is surfing
    Ebay), and bid low on auctions with no reserve. You'd be amazed how many times a low bid will win a
    bike, especially if it's missing key parts like a front wheel, saddle, etc. I bought a nice Wheeler
    hardtail, complete, for $36 a few years ago. I used the wheels and components on 3 different bikes,
    and sold the frame for $125. See what I mean?

    If this isn't your cup o' tea, have a look at the thread from yesterday about the Giant Rainier.
    It's a sweet bike for the money, and it's in your price range.

    Best of luck on your quest.

    Barry