Good road routes from South San Jose to Highway 1

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Tien Do, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tien Do

    Tien Do Guest

    Hi,

    In this comming Summer, I am biking from San Jose to San Diego, and will start from South San Jose
    near Evergreen College, I would be deeply appreciate if you can suggest a road route that I can get
    to Highway 1.

    Thanks very much.

    /td
     
    Tags:


  2. Ed Swierk

    Ed Swierk Guest

    On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Tien Do wrote:

    > In this comming Summer, I am biking from San Jose to San Diego, and will start from South San Jose
    > near Evergreen College, I would be deeply appreciate if you can suggest a road route that I can
    > get to Highway 1.

    I rode last September from Los Gatos to Highway 1 at Watsonville. It was beautiful and nearly
    traffic-free for most of the miles.

    Perhaps someone else can chime in to confirm that the bicycle path from downtown Los Gatos to the
    Lexington Reservoir is scheduled to be open by this summer. If not, the posted alternate route is
    doable on a road bike but rather steep.

    Start heading S on Los Gatos Blvd Continue on E Main St Turn L onto bike path between creek and Hwy
    17 bridge At end of path turn L onto Alma Bridge Rd, continue around the reservoir Turn L onto Old
    Santa Cruz Hwy Turn L onto Summit Rd [Food/water stop: Summit Store] At Soquel-San Jose Rd
    intersection, continue on Highland Way [More water available at fire station on R] At fork, bear
    right to continue on Highland Way Continue on Eureka Canyon Rd Continue on Corralitos Rd [Food/water
    stop: Corralitos Market] Turn L onto Freedom Blvd Turn R onto Airport Blvd Turn L onto Loma Prieta
    Ave Turn R onto Green Valley Rd

    From there you can follow the Adventure Bicycling Pacific Coast route or just follow the bike route
    signs along the non-freeway portions of Highway
    1.

    --
    Ed Swierk [email protected]
     
  3. Ed Swierk wrote:
    > On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Tien Do wrote:
    >

    > Start heading S on Los Gatos Blvd Continue on E Main St Turn L onto bike path between creek and
    > Hwy 17 bridge At end of path turn L onto Alma Bridge Rd, continue around the reservoir

    Turn R onto Aldercroft Heights http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Ds=n&uz=95032&BFCat=&Pyt=Tmap&addr=-
    &city=Los+Gatos&state=CA&csz=Los+Gatos%2C+CA&slt=37.226040&sln=-121.973213&mlt=37.178319&mln=-121.9-
    83531&zip=&country=us&mag=9&cs=7&BFClient=&BFKey=&poi=&poititle=&map.x=250&map.y=379

    > Turn L onto Old Santa Cruz Hwy Turn L onto Summit Rd [Food/water stop: Summit Store] At Soquel-San
    > Jose Rd intersection, continue on Highland Way [More water available at fire station on R] At
    > fork, bear right to continue on Highland Way Continue on Eureka Canyon Rd Continue on Corralitos
    > Rd [Food/water stop: Corralitos Market] Turn L onto Freedom Blvd Turn R onto Airport Blvd Turn L
    > onto Loma Prieta Ave Turn R onto Green Valley Rd
     
  4. Or turn L on aldercroft heights road for an offroad shortcut. Or, from the same intersection, go
    south up the creek on the dirt road in between aldercroft heights road and the creek. Go around the
    green gate. Soon you come to a small dam with a fish ladder. Go over the plank bridge and continue
    down the dirt road through the creek crossing until aldercroft heighs road returns to the creek.
    Continue south on the pavement for a few turns until you see a clearing and trailhead to the right.
    Jack London had a cabin here supposedly. Turn right up the canyon wall on the unpaved Call of the
    Wild Road. This is rather steep but short and puts you out on Old Santa Cruz Hiway an easy cruise
    from the summit.

    Daniel Connelly <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Ed Swierk wrote:
    > > On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Tien Do wrote:
    > >
    >
    >
    > > Start heading S on Los Gatos Blvd Continue on E Main St Turn L onto bike path between creek and
    > > Hwy 17 bridge At end of path turn L onto Alma Bridge Rd, continue around the reservoir
    >
    > Turn R onto Aldercroft Heights http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Ds=n&uz=95032&BFCat=&Pyt=Tmap&add-
    > r=&city=Los+Gatos&state=CA&csz=Los+Gatos%2C+CA&slt=37.226040&sln=-121.973213&mlt=37.178319&mln=-1-
    > 21.983531&zip=&country=us&mag=9&cs=7&BFClient=&BFKey=&poi=&poititle=&map.x=250&map.y=379
    >
    > > Turn L onto Old Santa Cruz Hwy Turn L onto Summit Rd [Food/water stop: Summit Store] At
    > > Soquel-San Jose Rd intersection, continue on Highland Way [More water available at fire station
    > > on R] At fork, bear right to continue on Highland Way Continue on Eureka Canyon Rd Continue on
    > > Corralitos Rd [Food/water stop: Corralitos Market] Turn L onto Freedom Blvd Turn R onto Airport
    > > Blvd Turn L onto Loma Prieta Ave Turn R onto Green Valley Rd
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Loading...