google groups2 beta version

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by MartinM, Aug 29, 2004.

  1. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Is still rubbish; If you post a reply it starts a new topic prefixed
    Re. Back to cyclingforums.

    Tags:

  2. chris French

    chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, MartinM
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Is still rubbish; If you post a reply it starts a new topic prefixed
    >Re. Back to cyclingforums.

    Or just get a newsreader and do it properly.

    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  3. MartinMM

    MartinMM New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2004

  4. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    MartinMM wrote:

    > chris French Wrote:
    >
    >>In message <[email protected]>, MartinM
    >><[email protected]> writes
    >>
    >>>Is still rubbish; If you post a reply it starts a new topic prefixed
    >>>Re. Back to cyclingforums.
    >>>

    >>Or just get a newsreader and do it properly.
    >>

    >>I have tried, confugured OE to news.international.net and got "The
    >>Server could not be found":

    You need to register with them first.
    http://www.individual.net/

    Tony

  5. MartinMM

    MartinMM New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2004

  6. MartinMM

    MartinMM New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2004

  7. On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 04:56:43 +1000, MartinMM wrote:
    > is this where I need to register (well not here but via the web)?

    Yes, register first! After you receive your username and password,
    supply them in the news account options (under "This server requires me
    to log on"). Without a login, you can download the list of newsgroups
    but you can not read or post.

    Also install OE-Quotefix from

  8. MartinMM

    MartinMM New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2004
    thanks, have got the preliminary email back, waiting for a real person to send me something. How do I know I won't get spammed?

  9. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, MartinMM
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > MartinMM Wrote:
    >> > Tony Raven Wrote:

    >> > prefixed

    >> > You need to register with them first.
    >> > http://www.individual.net/
    >> >
    >> > Thanks; see you in the real world if I'm successful> >

    >> well I got a list of groups and selected urc and a couple of others
    >> off it and when I click on one on the folders I get:
    >>
    >> 480 Authentication required.
    >>
    >> Configuration:
    >> Account: news.individual.net
    >> Server: news.individual.net
    >>
    >> is this where I need to register (well not here but via the web)?

    Yes. <URL:http://news.individual.net/>

    ;; Our modern industrial economy takes a mountain covered with trees,
    ;; lakes, running streams and transforms it into a mountain of junk,
    ;; garbage, slime pits, and debris. -- Edward Abbey

  10. chris French

    chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, MartinMM
    <[email protected]> writes

    >Ewoud Dronkert Wrote:
    >> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 04:56:43 +1000, MartinMM wrote:
    >> > is this where I need to register (well not here but via the web)?

    >> Yes, register first! After you receive your username and password,
    >> supply them in the news account options (under "This server requires
    >>> me

    >> to log on"). Without a login, you can download the list of newsgroups
    >> but you can not read or post.
    >>
    >> Also install OE-Quotefix from
    >> http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/

    >thanks, have got the preliminary email back, waiting for a real person
    >to send me something. How do I know I won't get spammed?

    Because none of us who have used them for ages ever have been?

    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  11. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    MartinMM wrote:

    > How do I know I won't get spammed?

    Either obfuscate your e-mail address - look at other posters here for
    examples or use a throw away address that you do not use for normal
    mail. Hotmail is a popular choice. Either don't bother to read mail at
    the throw away address or use it until spam becomes too great and then
    throw it away and use another.

    Tony

  12. MartinMM

    MartinMM New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2004
    Hmm, does that mean the address I sent to n.i.n will get propagated, my current one was set up by the webmaster of my club and once I got the confirmation back he re-directed it to [email protected] so I could use that as long as I don't need anything to come back.

  13. Tony Raven wrote:
    > MartinMM wrote:
    >

    >> How do I know I won't get spammed?
    >>

    > Either obfuscate your e-mail address - look at other posters here for
    > examples or use a throw away address that you do not use for normal
    > mail. Hotmail is a popular choice. Either don't bother to read mail
    > at the throw away address or use it until spam becomes too great and
    > then throw it away and use another.
    >
    > Tony

    Thats what I do and have received no spam.

  14. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    MartinMM wrote:

    > Tony Raven Wrote:
    >
    >>MartinMM wrote:
    >>

    >>>How do I know I won't get spammed?
    >>>

    >>Either obfuscate your e-mail address - look at other posters here for
    >>examples or use a throw away address that you do not use for normal
    >>mail. Hotmail is a popular choice. Either don't bother to read mail
    >>at
    >>the throw away address or use it until spam becomes too great and then
    >>throw it away and use another.
    >>
    >>Tony

    > Hmm, does that mean the address I sent to n.i.n will get propagated,
    > my current one was set up by the webmaster of my club and once I got
    > the confirmation back he re-directed it to [email protected] so I could use
    > that as long as I don't need anything to come back.

    Nope. You set it up in your newsreader/e-mail programme. Assuming you
    are using Outhouse Depress, go to Tools/Accounts/News. Select the news
    server and Properties. You can enter whatever you like in the e-mail
    address and reply address field. Go to the Server tab to enter you
    username and password from news.individual.net.

    Tony

  15. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    MartinMM wrote:

    > Tony Raven Wrote:
    >
    >>MartinMM wrote:
    >>

    >>>How do I know I won't get spammed?
    >>>

    >>Either obfuscate your e-mail address - look at other posters here for
    >>examples or use a throw away address that you do not use for normal
    >>mail. Hotmail is a popular choice. Either don't bother to read mail
    >>at
    >>the throw away address or use it until spam becomes too great and then
    >>throw it away and use another.
    >>
    >>Tony

    > Hmm, does that mean the address I sent to n.i.n will get propagated,
    > my current one was set up by the webmaster of my club and once I got
    > the confirmation back he re-directed it to [email protected] so I could use
    > that as long as I don't need anything to come back.

    No that should be fine. Just mung your address in the OE settings so
    that an automated reader cant make sense of it. Like mine for instance.

    Stan Cox

  16. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Stan Cox wrote:

    > No that should be fine. Just mung your address in the OE settings so
    > that an automated reader cant make sense of it. Like mine for instance.

    Actually against news.individual.net policies:

    "Sender Address
    The e-mail addresses given in "From:", "Reply-To:", and "Sender:" should
    be your own and should be valid (= should not bounce because of
    invalidity). Using addresses and name space of other people without
    their permission is prohibited."

    Which is why I use an address that goes down a black hole rather than
    one that might bounce. Anybody actually reading the group can guess
    pretty easily how to change it to make it my real address.

    Tony

  17. Stan Cox wrote:

    > Just mung your address in the OE settings so that an automated reader
    > cant make sense of it. Like mine for instance.

    It would be against news.individual.net's AUP. Also, unless you have
    permission from the owner of mung.com, you shouldn't be using an email
    address of a mung.com subdomain. You've also presumably missed off the
    'l' from 'ntlworld'.

    You'd be better off using your email address but with a .INVALID at the
    end. The top-level domain .invalid is guaranteed not to exist, ever.

    "I've got your picture on my wall, I've got your name upon my scarf"

  18. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    Keith Willoughby wrote:
    > Stan Cox wrote:
    >

    >>Just mung your address in the OE settings so that an automated reader
    >>cant make sense of it. Like mine for instance.

    > It would be against news.individual.net's AUP. Also, unless you have
    > permission from the owner of mung.com, you shouldn't be using an email
    > address of a mung.com subdomain. You've also presumably missed off the
    > 'l' from 'ntlworld'.
    >
    > You'd be better off using your email address but with a .INVALID at the
    > end. The top-level domain .invalid is guaranteed not to exist, ever.

    Good points well made, my bad. I am not familiar with the individual.net
    t&c's because I use the ntl servers. I rebuilt this machine last week &
    just put that in the settings without thinking about it. I should have
    noticed that mung.com exists.

    Stan Cox

  19. chris French

    chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Stan Cox
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Keith Willoughby wrote:
    >> Stan Cox wrote:
    >>>Just mung your address in the OE settings so that an automated reader
    >>>cant make sense of it. Like mine for instance.

    >> It would be against news.individual.net's AUP. Also, unless you
    >>have
    >> permission from the owner of mung.com, you shouldn't be using an email
    >> address of a mung.com subdomain. You've also presumably missed off the
    >> 'l' from 'ntlworld'.
    >> You'd be better off using your email address but with a .INVALID at
    >>the
    >> end. The top-level domain .invalid is guaranteed not to exist, ever.
    >>

    >Good points well made, my bad. I am not familiar with the
    >individual.net t&c's because I use the ntl servers. I rebuilt this
    >machine last week & just put that in the settings without thinking
    >about it. I should have noticed that mung.com exists.

    And n.i.n do actually block messages if the email address isn't valid -
    or rather I guess, if a DNS lookup on the domain fails
    --
    Chris French, Leeds