google groups2 beta version

MartinM

Guest
Is still rubbish; If you post a reply it starts a new topic prefixed
Re. Back to cyclingforums.

In message <[email protected]>, MartinM
<[email protected]> writes
>Is still rubbish; If you post a reply it starts a new topic prefixed
>Re. Back to cyclingforums.

Or just get a newsreader and do it properly.

--
Chris French, Leeds

chris French said:
In message <[email protected]>, MartinM
<[email protected]> writes
>Is still rubbish; If you post a reply it starts a new topic prefixed
>Re. Back to cyclingforums.

Or just get a newsreader and do it properly.

I have tried, confugured OE to news.international.net and got "The Server could not be found":
Configuration:
Account: news.international.net
Server: news.international.net
Protocol: NNTP
Port: 119
Secure(SSL): 0
Code: 800ccc0d

??

MartinMM wrote:

> chris French Wrote:
>
>>In message <[email protected]>, MartinM
>><[email protected]> writes
>>
>>>Is still rubbish; If you post a reply it starts a new topic prefixed
>>>Re. Back to cyclingforums.
>>>

>>Or just get a newsreader and do it properly.
>>

>>I have tried, confugured OE to news.international.net and got "The
>>Server could not be found":

You need to register with them first.
http://www.individual.net/

Tony

Tony Raven said:
MartinMM wrote:

> chris French Wrote:
>
>>In message <[email protected]>, MartinM
>><[email protected]> writes
>>
>>>Is still rubbish; If you post a reply it starts a new topic prefixed
>>>Re. Back to cyclingforums.
>>>

>>Or just get a newsreader and do it properly.
>>

>>I have tried, confugured OE to news.international.net and got "The
>>Server could not be found":

You need to register with them first.
http://www.individual.net/

Thanks; see you in the real world if I'm successful

MartinMM said:
Tony Raven said:
MartinMM wrote:

> chris French Wrote:
>
>>In message <[email protected]>, MartinM
>><[email protected]> writes
>>
>>>Is still rubbish; If you post a reply it starts a new topic prefixed
>>>Re. Back to cyclingforums.
>>>

>>Or just get a newsreader and do it properly.
>>

>>I have tried, confugured OE to news.international.net and got "The
>>Server could not be found":

You need to register with them first.
http://www.individual.net/

Thanks; see you in the real world if I'm successful

well I got a list of groups and selected urc and a couple of others off it and when I click on one on the folders I get:

480 Authentication required.

Configuration:
Account: news.individual.net
Server: news.individual.net

is this where I need to register (well not here but via the web)?

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 04:56:43 +1000, MartinMM wrote:
> is this where I need to register (well not here but via the web)?

Yes, register first! After you receive your username and password,
supply them in the news account options (under "This server requires me
to log on"). Without a login, you can download the list of newsgroups
but you can not read or post.

Also install OE-Quotefix from

Ewoud Dronkert said:
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 04:56:43 +1000, MartinMM wrote:
> is this where I need to register (well not here but via the web)?

Yes, register first! After you receive your username and password,
supply them in the news account options (under "This server requires me
to log on"). Without a login, you can download the list of newsgroups
but you can not read or post.

Also install OE-Quotefix from

thanks, have got the preliminary email back, waiting for a real person to send me something. How do I know I won't get spammed?

in message <[email protected]>, MartinMM
('[email protected]') wrote:

> MartinMM Wrote:
>> > Tony Raven Wrote:

>> > prefixed

>> > You need to register with them first.
>> > http://www.individual.net/
>> >
>> > Thanks; see you in the real world if I'm successful> >

>> well I got a list of groups and selected urc and a couple of others
>> off it and when I click on one on the folders I get:
>>
>> 480 Authentication required.
>>
>> Configuration:
>> Account: news.individual.net
>> Server: news.individual.net
>>
>> is this where I need to register (well not here but via the web)?

Yes. <URL:http://news.individual.net/>

;; Our modern industrial economy takes a mountain covered with trees,
;; lakes, running streams and transforms it into a mountain of junk,
;; garbage, slime pits, and debris. -- Edward Abbey

In message <[email protected]>, MartinMM
<[email protected]> writes

>Ewoud Dronkert Wrote:
>> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 04:56:43 +1000, MartinMM wrote:
>> > is this where I need to register (well not here but via the web)?

>> Yes, register first! After you receive your username and password,
>> supply them in the news account options (under "This server requires
>>> me

>> to log on"). Without a login, you can download the list of newsgroups
>> but you can not read or post.
>>
>> Also install OE-Quotefix from
>> http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/

>thanks, have got the preliminary email back, waiting for a real person
>to send me something. How do I know I won't get spammed?

Because none of us who have used them for ages ever have been?

--
Chris French, Leeds

MartinMM wrote:

> How do I know I won't get spammed?

Either obfuscate your e-mail address - look at other posters here for
examples or use a throw away address that you do not use for normal
mail. Hotmail is a popular choice. Either don't bother to read mail at
the throw away address or use it until spam becomes too great and then
throw it away and use another.

Tony

Tony Raven said:
MartinMM wrote:

> How do I know I won't get spammed?

Either obfuscate your e-mail address - look at other posters here for
examples or use a throw away address that you do not use for normal
mail. Hotmail is a popular choice. Either don't bother to read mail at
the throw away address or use it until spam becomes too great and then
throw it away and use another.

Tony
Hmm, does that mean the address I sent to n.i.n will get propagated, my current one was set up by the webmaster of my club and once I got the confirmation back he re-directed it to [email protected] so I could use that as long as I don't need anything to come back.

Tony Raven wrote:
> MartinMM wrote:
>

>> How do I know I won't get spammed?
>>

> Either obfuscate your e-mail address - look at other posters here for
> examples or use a throw away address that you do not use for normal
> mail. Hotmail is a popular choice. Either don't bother to read mail
> at the throw away address or use it until spam becomes too great and
> then throw it away and use another.
>
> Tony

Thats what I do and have received no spam.

MartinMM wrote:

> Tony Raven Wrote:
>
>>MartinMM wrote:
>>

>>>How do I know I won't get spammed?
>>>

>>Either obfuscate your e-mail address - look at other posters here for
>>examples or use a throw away address that you do not use for normal
>>mail. Hotmail is a popular choice. Either don't bother to read mail
>>at
>>the throw away address or use it until spam becomes too great and then
>>throw it away and use another.
>>
>>Tony

> Hmm, does that mean the address I sent to n.i.n will get propagated,
> my current one was set up by the webmaster of my club and once I got
> the confirmation back he re-directed it to [email protected] so I could use
> that as long as I don't need anything to come back.

Nope. You set it up in your newsreader/e-mail programme. Assuming you
are using Outhouse Depress, go to Tools/Accounts/News. Select the news
server and Properties. You can enter whatever you like in the e-mail
address and reply address field. Go to the Server tab to enter you
username and password from news.individual.net.

Tony

MartinMM wrote:

> Tony Raven Wrote:
>
>>MartinMM wrote:
>>

>>>How do I know I won't get spammed?
>>>

>>Either obfuscate your e-mail address - look at other posters here for
>>examples or use a throw away address that you do not use for normal
>>mail. Hotmail is a popular choice. Either don't bother to read mail
>>at
>>the throw away address or use it until spam becomes too great and then
>>throw it away and use another.
>>
>>Tony

> Hmm, does that mean the address I sent to n.i.n will get propagated,
> my current one was set up by the webmaster of my club and once I got
> the confirmation back he re-directed it to [email protected] so I could use
> that as long as I don't need anything to come back.

No that should be fine. Just mung your address in the OE settings so
that an automated reader cant make sense of it. Like mine for instance.

Stan Cox

Stan Cox wrote:

> No that should be fine. Just mung your address in the OE settings so
> that an automated reader cant make sense of it. Like mine for instance.

Actually against news.individual.net policies:

"Sender Address
The e-mail addresses given in "From:", "Reply-To:", and "Sender:" should
be your own and should be valid (= should not bounce because of
invalidity). Using addresses and name space of other people without
their permission is prohibited."

Which is why I use an address that goes down a black hole rather than
one that might bounce. Anybody actually reading the group can guess
pretty easily how to change it to make it my real address.

Tony

Stan Cox wrote:

> Just mung your address in the OE settings so that an automated reader
> cant make sense of it. Like mine for instance.

It would be against news.individual.net's AUP. Also, unless you have
permission from the owner of mung.com, you shouldn't be using an email
address of a mung.com subdomain. You've also presumably missed off the
'l' from 'ntlworld'.

You'd be better off using your email address but with a .INVALID at the
end. The top-level domain .invalid is guaranteed not to exist, ever.

"I've got your picture on my wall, I've got your name upon my scarf"

Keith Willoughby wrote:
> Stan Cox wrote:
>

>>Just mung your address in the OE settings so that an automated reader
>>cant make sense of it. Like mine for instance.

> It would be against news.individual.net's AUP. Also, unless you have
> permission from the owner of mung.com, you shouldn't be using an email
> address of a mung.com subdomain. You've also presumably missed off the
> 'l' from 'ntlworld'.
>
> You'd be better off using your email address but with a .INVALID at the
> end. The top-level domain .invalid is guaranteed not to exist, ever.

Good points well made, my bad. I am not familiar with the individual.net
t&c's because I use the ntl servers. I rebuilt this machine last week &
just put that in the settings without thinking about it. I should have
noticed that mung.com exists.

Stan Cox

In message <[email protected]>, Stan Cox
<[email protected]> writes
>Keith Willoughby wrote:
>> Stan Cox wrote:
>>>Just mung your address in the OE settings so that an automated reader
>>>cant make sense of it. Like mine for instance.

>> It would be against news.individual.net's AUP. Also, unless you
>>have
>> permission from the owner of mung.com, you shouldn't be using an email
>> address of a mung.com subdomain. You've also presumably missed off the
>> 'l' from 'ntlworld'.
>> You'd be better off using your email address but with a .INVALID at
>>the
>> end. The top-level domain .invalid is guaranteed not to exist, ever.
>>

>Good points well made, my bad. I am not familiar with the
>individual.net t&c's because I use the ntl servers. I rebuilt this
>machine last week & just put that in the settings without thinking
>about it. I should have noticed that mung.com exists.

And n.i.n do actually block messages if the email address isn't valid -
or rather I guess, if a DNS lookup on the domain fails
--
Chris French, Leeds