General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Google treats Deja-News (Google Groups) like

Started by =?iso-8859-1?q?Bobo_Bonobo=AE?= · · Last activity · 33 posts · 198 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
19 July 2007
Last activity
21 July 2007
Original author
=?iso-8859-1?q?Bobo_Bonobo=AE?=
Posts
33
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
198
Views / 30 days
12

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 33
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. the Dursleys treat Harry. Access to Usenet can get as much as a day &
    a half behind. My ISP used to have their own newsserver. Arggh. I
    might have to start paying for it.

    --Bryan

  2. Bobo Bonobo® <[email hidden]> dropped this turd
    news:[email hidden]: in
    rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:

    the Dursleys treat Harry. Access to Usenet can get as much as a day &
    a half behind. My ISP used to have their own newsserver. Arggh. I
    might have to start paying for it.

    --Bryan

    I heartily agree Bryan. Charter outsourced Usenet and it has sucked every
    since. Even the mail servers Charter maintains lag behind a couple of
    hours sometimes. If I had any options I'd dump Charter altogether. I'm
    thinking about paying for a Usenet service also but I'll have to pay for it
    because many of the free ones don't have binary capability. I like to look
    at the pics on the food binary groups and the gardening groups.

    Michael

    --
    Due to recent cutbacks - The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned
    off.
    ~unknow author

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Bobo Bonobo® said:

    the Dursleys treat Harry. Access to Usenet can get as much as a day &
    a half behind. My ISP used to have their own newsserver. Arggh. I
    might have to start paying for it.

    --Bryan

    I have yet to regret shelling out $12.00 per month for Giganews.
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  4. Bobo Bonobo® said:

    the Dursleys treat Harry. Access to Usenet can get as much as a day &
    a half behind.

    They, and usenet, would be better off if they dropped posting access
    and went to just archiving. They are the major spam vector these days.

    Quoted message said:

    My ISP used to have their own newsserver. Arggh. I
    might have to start paying for it.

    I recommend the http://news.individual.net service. It's moderately
    priced at 10 Euro/year, about $14 US currently, and provides access to
    most text newsgroups. Its reliability and retention are very good.

    Brian

    --
    If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
    won't shut up.
    -- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)

  5. On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 06:47:55 -0700, Bobo Bonobo® <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    the Dursleys treat Harry. Access to Usenet can get as much as a day &
    a half behind. My ISP used to have their own newsserver. Arggh. I
    might have to start paying for it.


    I though GG's timelyness had improved, but just lately I tried to look
    up a couple of recent threads when the OP hadn't shown up on giganews
    and couldn't find the *entire* thread! I think they've backslid.

    PS: some ISPs have farmed out to giganews and give you the "basic
    package" for free. Check it out. If yours doesn't, you can afford it
    anyway. http://www.giganews.com/

    --

    A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.

  6. sf said:

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 06:47:55 -0700, Bobo Bonobo® <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    the Dursleys treat Harry. Access to Usenet can get as much as a
    day & a half behind. My ISP used to have their own newsserver.
    Arggh. I might have to start paying for it.


    I though GG's timelyness had improved, but just lately I tried to look
    up a couple of recent threads when the OP hadn't shown up on giganews
    and couldn't find the entire thread! I think they've backslid.

    They've been having a problem for the past several days. Reports are
    that things are improving.

    Quoted message said:

    PS: some ISPs have farmed out to giganews and give you the "basic
    package" for free. Check it out. If yours doesn't, you can afford it
    anyway. http://www.giganews.com/

    http://news.individual.net is much cheaper if all you want is the
    equivalent of what GG provides, text groups.

    Brian

    --
    If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
    won't shut up.
    -- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)

  7. On 19 Jul 2007 18:43:54 GMT, "Default User" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    PS: some ISPs have farmed out to giganews and give you the "basic
    package" for free. Check it out. If yours doesn't, you can afford it
    anyway. http://www.giganews.com/

    http://news.individual.net is much cheaper if all you want is the
    equivalent of what GG provides, text groups.

    I know, but he wants binaries.

    --

    A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.

  8. Is it something I am doing wrong? I tried to find my recipe,
    such as it is, for chicken cacchiatore and cannot. Then I noticed
    any results I got in all my ways of searching for it were only in the
    last year or two.

    Does Google Groups still have older posts? Or am I just really
    confused.

    Sign me Aggravated,

    nancy

  9. Nancy Young said:

    Is it something I am doing wrong? I tried to find my recipe,
    such as it is, for chicken cacchiatore and cannot. Then I noticed
    any results I got in all my ways of searching for it were only in the
    last year or two.

    Does Google Groups still have older posts? Or am I just really
    confused.

    I just pulled up some stuff from 1981 via GG. That's where their
    advanced search date parameters begin.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

  10. "Blinky the Shark" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Nancy Young said:

    Is it something I am doing wrong? I tried to find my recipe,
    such as it is, for chicken cacchiatore and cannot. Then I noticed
    any results I got in all my ways of searching for it were only in the
    last year or two.

    Does Google Groups still have older posts? Or am I just really
    confused.

    I just pulled up some stuff from 1981 via GG. That's where their
    advanced search date parameters begin.

    Thanks. I'm sure the more annoyed I became, the more likely
    I was doing something wrong. When I couldn't find any reference
    to the word water between 81 and 2005, I decide to stop irritating
    myself.

    Heh. The cacciatore by any spelling turned out fine anyway.

    nancy

  11. On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 17:53:17 -0400, "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Is it something I am doing wrong? I tried to find my recipe,
    such as it is, for chicken cacchiatore and cannot. Then I noticed
    any results I got in all my ways of searching for it were only in the
    last year or two.

    Does Google Groups still have older posts? Or am I just really
    confused.

    Sign me Aggravated,


    I don't see any thread with chicken cacchiatore before 2002. All of
    your comments are add ons - I don't see an entire recipe by you. Are
    you sure you posted it?

    --

    A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.

  12. <sf> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 17:53:17 -0400, "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Is it something I am doing wrong? I tried to find my recipe,
    such as it is, for chicken cacchiatore and cannot. Then I noticed
    any results I got in all my ways of searching for it were only in the
    last year or two.

    Does Google Groups still have older posts? Or am I just really
    confused.

    Sign me Aggravated,


    I don't see any thread with chicken cacchiatore before 2002. All of
    your comments are add ons - I don't see an entire recipe by you. Are
    you sure you posted it?

    A number of times. I know how to make it, the recipe is my
    mil's, nothing to it, I just wanted to know how long to simmer and
    I can't find her handwritten copy, either.

    Maybe I dreamed it up. Heh.

    nancy

  13. On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 19:48:52 -0400, "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    <sf> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 17:53:17 -0400, "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Is it something I am doing wrong? I tried to find my recipe,
    such as it is, for chicken cacchiatore and cannot. Then I noticed
    any results I got in all my ways of searching for it were only in the
    last year or two.

    Does Google Groups still have older posts? Or am I just really
    confused.

    Sign me Aggravated,


    I don't see any thread with chicken cacchiatore before 2002. All of
    your comments are add ons - I don't see an entire recipe by you. Are
    you sure you posted it?

    A number of times. I know how to make it, the recipe is my
    mil's, nothing to it, I just wanted to know how long to simmer and
    I can't find her handwritten copy, either.

    Maybe I dreamed it up. Heh.


    I found it Nancy.... you spelled it wrong and I copy/pasted the wrong
    spelling too getting your results. 🙁 Look for chicken cacciatore.

    Here's the recipe!

    Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
    From: Nancy Young <[email hidden]>
    Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 18:14:55 -0500
    Local: Mon, Jan 26 2004 4:14 pm
    Subject: Chicken Cacciatore

    Okay, here's my mil's recipe, no big deal. But it is what I'm making
    for dinner. In her words.

    6 chicken thighs
    2 cans of tomato sauce (any supermarket brand)
    1 green bell pepper (cut in small pieces)
    1/4 ground pepper
    1 tablespoon oregano
    1 teaspoon garlic powder

    Take skin off chicken. Heat skillet, add about a tablespoon of oil.
    Brown chicken, both sides, medium heat. Place browned chicken in
    sauce pot. Pour tomato sauce over chicken. Add seasonings plus
    pepper. Simmer for approximately 45 minutes. Stir occasionally.

    PS: If you want to, you can brown 2 or 3 sausages and add to chicken
    in sauce pot.

    (laughing!) The rest is almost incomprehensible but I get that you
    need to drain the fat from the sausage.

    At any rate, I brown the chicken that I have skinned and cut off the
    fat, (thighs, only thighs) in the sausage fat.

    Smells great in here. I know, not Goremett.

    nancy

    --

    A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.

  14. sf said:

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 19:48:52 -0400, "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    <sf> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 17:53:17 -0400, "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    >Is it something I am doing wrong? I tried to find my recipe,
    >such as it is, for chicken cacchiatore and cannot. Then I noticed
    >any results I got in all my ways of searching for it were only in the
    >last year or two.
    >
    >Does Google Groups still have older posts? Or am I just really
    >confused.
    >
    >Sign me Aggravated,
    >
    I don't see any thread with chicken cacchiatore before 2002. All of
    your comments are add ons - I don't see an entire recipe by you. Are
    you sure you posted it?

    A number of times. I know how to make it, the recipe is my
    mil's, nothing to it, I just wanted to know how long to simmer and
    I can't find her handwritten copy, either.

    Maybe I dreamed it up. Heh.


    I found it Nancy.... you spelled it wrong and I copy/pasted the wrong
    spelling too getting your results. 🙁 Look for chicken cacciatore.

    Here's the recipe!

    Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
    From: Nancy Young <[email hidden]>
    Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 18:14:55 -0500
    Local: Mon, Jan 26 2004 4:14 pm
    Subject: Chicken Cacciatore

    Okay, here's my mil's recipe, no big deal. But it is what I'm making
    for dinner. In her words.

    6 chicken thighs
    2 cans of tomato sauce (any supermarket brand)
    1 green bell pepper (cut in small pieces)
    1/4 ground pepper
    1 tablespoon oregano
    1 teaspoon garlic powder

    Take skin off chicken. Heat skillet, add about a tablespoon of oil.
    Brown chicken, both sides, medium heat. Place browned chicken in
    sauce pot. Pour tomato sauce over chicken. Add seasonings plus
    pepper. Simmer for approximately 45 minutes. Stir occasionally.

    PS: If you want to, you can brown 2 or 3 sausages and add to chicken
    in sauce pot.

    (laughing!) The rest is almost incomprehensible but I get that you
    need to drain the fat from the sausage.

    At any rate, I brown the chicken that I have skinned and cut off the
    fat, (thighs, only thighs) in the sausage fat.

    Smells great in here. I know, not Goremett.

    nancy

    Since I went through the process, too, but didn't get that far back,
    here's a thread on chicken cacciatore from last fall, that Nancy's in,
    but the recipe(s) therein aren't hers. If anyone wants an alternate.
    🙂

    http://tinyurl.com/yrzgsx

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

  15. <sf> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 19:48:52 -0400, "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Maybe I dreamed it up. Heh.


    I found it Nancy.... you spelled it wrong and I copy/pasted the wrong
    spelling too getting your results. 🙁 Look for chicken cacciatore.

    Thank you! I spelled it every way from Sunday. I googled on the
    ingredients. I tried it all. I don't know what I was doing wrong.
    Thanks a million!

    nancy

  16. sf said:

    PS: some ISPs have farmed out to giganews and give you the "basic
    package" for free. Check it out. If yours doesn't, you can afford it
    anyway. http://www.giganews.com/

    I think SBC/AT&T DSL and Dialups are about the only semi-national
    provider around that still maintains their own servers. And they
    work well.

    I couldn't be happier with my SBC/AT&T DSL for $20/month.

    -sw

  17. Steve Wertz said:
    sf said:

    PS: some ISPs have farmed out to giganews and give you the "basic
    package" for free. Check it out. If yours doesn't, you can afford it
    anyway. http://www.giganews.com/

    I think SBC/AT&T DSL and Dialups are about the only semi-national
    provider around that still maintains their own servers.

    + Earthlink

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

  18. Blinky the Shark said:
    Steve Wertz said:

    I think SBC/AT&T DSL and Dialups are about the only semi-national
    provider around that still maintains their own servers.

    + Earthlink

    That did come to mind, but I wasn't sure. I know they've had
    serious problems in the past, so I didn't even other checking on
    it.

    There are a bunch of smaller ISP's that still do it - like
    Texas.net (my former ISP), who are also the founders of Giganews.

    -sw

  19. Omelet said:

    I have yet to regret shelling out $12.00 per month for Giganews.

    Easynews is $10 and has zero problems (sort of, but
    I use it in a bizarre way that would expose those
    problems, and normal browser-type newsreaders don't).

    --Blair

  20. Steve Wertz said:
    Blinky the Shark said:
    Steve Wertz said:

    I think SBC/AT&T DSL and Dialups are about the only semi-national
    provider around that still maintains their own servers.

    + Earthlink

    Which is not to say it has good news servers; just that it has some.

    I don't use them. I do use Earthlink.

    Quoted message said:

    That did come to mind, but I wasn't sure. I know they've had
    serious problems in the past, so I didn't even other checking on
    it.

    There are a bunch of smaller ISP's that still do it - like
    Texas.net (my former ISP), who are also the founders of Giganews.

    They founded Giganews but don't use it?

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.