rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Got my new Qu-Ax!!!

Started by MuniTune · · Last activity · 18 posts · 523 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
1 August 2004
Last activity
2 August 2004
Original author
MuniTune
Posts
18
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
523
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–18 of 18
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hey everybody. I got a call while I was on RAGBRAI saying that my new
    muni was in! Needless to say I finished up the 500 miles and got home!
    So far it is exceedingly awesome and got here (Iowa) way faster than
    expected (from Germany). So far it is awesome. I am wondering how
    tight to tighten the bearing caps (not sure if that's the official name
    for them...). Also, what do you guys inflate your Gazz's to? and for
    what surface? I will post pictures of it tomarrow. One last thing,
    nuts for the bearing cap screws on top or bottom?

    Thanks! Will report tomarrow (midnight is probably a little too late to
    ride).

    --
    MuniTune - Bluto

    "those are both awesome and together you make an unstoppable team of
    frameless evil"
    -Tim, regarding Sofa on his amazing UW36 and Joel on the BC.

    R.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuniTune's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6773
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/34241

  2. if you live in iowa, why did you order a qu-ax? isnt the onza the same
    thing and availible in the usa? is there something about the qu-ax that
    i don't know?

    seriously though, enjoy your new MUni... you must be stoked.

    --
    TheBadger587 - so close to gliding

    DIY CF Seatbase installation is a major pain in the ass.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TheBadger587's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5576
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/34241

  3. the quax has different hub and cranks, and a different frame. on this
    side of the pond its a fair bit cheaper than the onza and shipping from
    municycle doesnt costmuch at all

    --
    tom_edmonds - Finally...less talking, more riding

    Got me another 28" uni 😄
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tom_edmonds's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3992
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/34241

  4. What do you mean by bearing caps? To attach the wheel to the frame? Or
    the end bolts of the cranks? For the former, I just do it firmly. Don't
    go nuts on these, you'll know when to stop turning. Loctite is good too.
    The Qu-Ax frames I have come with the ny-lock nuts so it's pretty easy
    to get em on right.

    For the latter do the end bolts up TIGHT and then the pinch bolts TIGHT
    too!

    As for the Gazz.. play around with it loads. I found with the Duro only
    one pressure suited me but after upgrading to the Nokian I can change it
    around and still have a great ride. All depends what you want to do!

    --
    one wheeled stallion - Guerilla Unicyclist

    OWS

    "I'm going to be polite in this whole message except for here.

    Idiot." - John Foss

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/34241

  5. Thanks so much stallion! Both info is good to know, sorry I couldn't
    explain myself better.

    Also, you have to put the pedals on really tight too, right?

    --
    MuniTune - Bluto

    "those are both awesome and together you make an unstoppable team of
    frameless evil"
    -Tim, regarding Sofa on his amazing UW36 and Joel on the BC.

    R.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuniTune's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6773
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/34241

  6. No problem- I live to give after all 😉 I grease my pedal spindles and
    do them tight. The grease lets you do em a little tighter a little
    easier. Some people say that they have stripped the cranks or something
    from doing them too tight, but I was reading the literature that came
    with my Onza bike and it said that it's near impossible to do them too
    tight. I never had problems with tightening pedals up pretty hard.
    Infinately preferable to loose, as it'll take your crank out with it!

    Out of curiosity, which frame do you have? The Nimbus II style or the
    chunkier one? Either way we need action pics!
    😄

    --
    one wheeled stallion - Guerilla Unicyclist

    OWS

    "I'm going to be polite in this whole message except for here.

    Idiot." - John Foss

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/34241

  7. MuniTune said:

    nuts for the bearing cap screws on top or bottom?

    Most people have them at the bottom but I don't know if that's for a
    good reason. I for one have got them at the top, seems less vulnerable
    if you do crank grabs and miss it. Also (minor advantage), if a nut
    would totally unscrew unnoticedly during a ride, you would probably
    retain the bolt.

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    I like the idea of not having to balance when out on a ride - joe

  8. i ride with my nuts perched above the cap. they're out of harm's way
    like that.

    --
    TheBadger587 - so close to gliding

    DIY CF Seatbase installation is a major pain in the ass.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TheBadger587's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5576
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/34241

  9. You know, if someone were to come along and read just that post, they
    would think of it as very dirty. :p

    Have fun on your new muni, by the way.

    --
    digitalattrition - Rat Fink

    Unicycling consists of the two Bs: balance and balls. Without these,
    you cannot progress
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    digitalattrition's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6430
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/34241

  10. one wheeled stallion said:

    *No problem- I live to give after all 😉 I grease my pedal spindles
    and do them tight. The grease lets you do em a little tighter a little
    easier. Some people say that they have stripped the cranks or
    something from doing them too tight, but I was reading the literature
    that came with my Onza bike and it said that it's near impossible to
    do them too tight. I never had problems with tightening pedals up
    pretty hard. Infinately preferable to loose, as it'll take your crank
    out with it!
    *

    You are not likely to strip the threads by screwing the pedal on too
    tight. What's more likely is the person cross threaded the pedal
    threads when installing the pedal.

    You can strip the pedal threads in the crank if you cross thread the
    pedals as you install them. Cross threading is when you thread on the
    pedals such that the pedal threads and crank thread do not mesh up. It
    happens when the pedal gets threaded in at a slight angle.

    Cross threading will destroy the crank threads stripping them out. You
    may be able to salvage the crank by getting a helicoil installed to
    replace the threads. But that may end up costing more than the crank is
    worth.

    Be very very careful that you do not install the pedals cross threaded.
    Thread the pedals in by hand for several revolutions to get the threads
    started. Once the pedals have been threaded on a few revolutions by
    hand, then you can use a pedal wrench to finish the job.

    Most cross threading happens when you use a wrench to start the threads.
    The wrench has so much leverage that you don't notice that the threads
    are not meshing up and that you're destroying more threads with every
    turn of the wrench.

    And yes, you should grease the pedal threads before threading them into
    the crank.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com
    Gallery: '' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/john_childs)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    john_childs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/449
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/34241

  11. I too have my nuts above my caps for the same reason.

    --
    one wheeled stallion - Guerilla Unicyclist

    OWS

    "I'm going to be polite in this whole message except for here.

    Idiot." - John Foss

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/34241

  12. Thanks for all the awesome info. everybody. I got some pics here. None
    of me out riding because I don't have a photographer, and because I'm
    pretty tired because I just finished bicycling 500 miles across Iowa
    (along with 10,000 other people). I had to make the pictures pretty
    small so they would upload fast. Here goes...

    +----------------------------------------------------------------+
    | Attachment filename: uni1.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/226901|
    +----------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    MuniTune - Bluto

    "those are both awesome and together you make an unstoppable team of
    frameless evil"
    -Tim, regarding Sofa on his amazing UW36 and Joel on the BC.

    R.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuniTune's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6773
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/34241

  13. and another...

    +----------------------------------------------------------------+
    | Attachment filename: uni3.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/226903|
    +----------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    MuniTune - Bluto

    "those are both awesome and together you make an unstoppable team of
    frameless evil"
    -Tim, regarding Sofa on his amazing UW36 and Joel on the BC.

    R.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuniTune's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6773
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/34241

  14. and another...

    +----------------------------------------------------------------+
    | Attachment filename: uni2.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/226907|
    +----------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    MuniTune - Bluto

    "those are both awesome and together you make an unstoppable team of
    frameless evil"
    -Tim, regarding Sofa on his amazing UW36 and Joel on the BC.

    R.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuniTune's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6773
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/34241

  15. and another...

    +----------------------------------------------------------------+
    | Attachment filename: uni4.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/226909|
    +----------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    MuniTune - Bluto

    "those are both awesome and together you make an unstoppable team of
    frameless evil"
    -Tim, regarding Sofa on his amazing UW36 and Joel on the BC.

    R.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuniTune's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6773
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/34241

  16. two more...

    +----------------------------------------------------------------+
    | Attachment filename: uni5.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/226910|
    +----------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    MuniTune - Bluto

    "those are both awesome and together you make an unstoppable team of
    frameless evil"
    -Tim, regarding Sofa on his amazing UW36 and Joel on the BC.

    R.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuniTune's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6773
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/34241

  17. nah, I'll just leave it at that.

    --
    MuniTune - Bluto

    "those are both awesome and together you make an unstoppable team of
    frameless evil"
    -Tim, regarding Sofa on his amazing UW36 and Joel on the BC.

    R.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuniTune's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6773
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/34241

  18. All my unis have the bolt put through from the bottom, but at BMW Steve
    C came up with what sounded like a good reason to have them the other
    way round. Having the nut on the top makes them stick up more, so if
    you're wearing trousers they might catch as you pedal.

    I might investigate, I have a 29er wheel to reinstall tonight. I can't
    see me doing too many pedal grabs on it...

    Phil

    --
    phil - ex-studenty type

    "Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/34241

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.