General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Got shrimp stock. Now what?

Started by Felice Friese · · Last activity · 21 posts · 361 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
18 July 2007
Last activity
20 July 2007
Original author
Felice Friese
Posts
21
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
361
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 21
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Done it again, I have: simmered that collection of shrimp shells from the
    freezer into a rich and luscious broth. And once again I wonder what to do
    with it, aside from the usual shrimp bisque and the start of a new
    collection of shells. It's a damned vicious circle, is what it is.

    So would anyone like to tell me (politely) what to do with the broth?

    And come to think of it, do I have shrimp stock or shrimp broth?

    Felice

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Felice Friese said:

    Done it again, I have: simmered that collection of shrimp shells from the
    freezer into a rich and luscious broth. And once again I wonder what to do
    with it, aside from the usual shrimp bisque and the start of a new
    collection of shells. It's a damned vicious circle, is what it is.

    So would anyone like to tell me (politely) what to do with the broth?

    And come to think of it, do I have shrimp stock or shrimp broth?

    Felice

    Shrimp stock, shrimp broth, does it matter? :-)

    I do this too.

    One of my favorite ways to use it is to simply cook rice with it. 2
    parts shrimp stuff to 1 part rice.

    Then use that rice to serve a seafood dish over, even if it's just some
    steamed shrimp with butter and dill weed.

    Take a bit of the left over shrimp stock and make a creamed sauce with
    it to serve over the shrimp and rice. ;-d

    I've also used shrimp stock as a chowder or seafood soup base.
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  3. Omelet said...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Felice Friese said:

    Done it again, I have: simmered that collection of shrimp shells from
    the freezer into a rich and luscious broth. And once again I wonder
    what to do with it, aside from the usual shrimp bisque and the start of
    a new collection of shells. It's a damned vicious circle, is what it
    is.

    So would anyone like to tell me (politely) what to do with the broth?

    And come to think of it, do I have shrimp stock or shrimp broth?

    Felice

    Shrimp stock, shrimp broth, does it matter? :-)

    I do this too.

    One of my favorite ways to use it is to simply cook rice with it. 2
    parts shrimp stuff to 1 part rice.

    Then use that rice to serve a seafood dish over, even if it's just some
    steamed shrimp with butter and dill weed.

    Take a bit of the left over shrimp stock and make a creamed sauce with
    it to serve over the shrimp and rice. ;-d

    I've also used shrimp stock as a chowder or seafood soup base.

    Use some in gumbo or jambalaya.

    Baste kabob'd shrimp with it?

    Where's Bubba when you need him?

    Andy

    BUBBA!???

  4. Felice Friese said:

    Done it again, I have: simmered that collection of shrimp shells from the
    freezer into a rich and luscious broth. And once again I wonder what to do
    with it, aside from the usual shrimp bisque and the start of a new
    collection of shells. It's a damned vicious circle, is what it is.

    So would anyone like to tell me (politely) what to do with the broth?

    And come to think of it, do I have shrimp stock or shrimp broth?

    Seafood gumbo.
    (If you don't wanna continue the vicious circle, buy the already shelled
    shrimp tails.)
    --
    Cheers
    Chatty Cathy

  5. Quoted message said:

    Felice asked:
    So would anyone like to tell me (politely) what to do with the broth?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Omelet suggested:
    Simply cook rice with it. 2 parts shrimp stuff to 1 part rice ... Then
    use that rice to serve a seafood dish over.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Andy and Cathy both came up with:
    Use some in gumbo or jambalaya.

    Felice exclaimed, smacking forehead:
    Gumbo! Jambalaya! The grey cells must be taking the day off. Thanks, all.

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Felice Friese said:
    Quoted message said:

    Felice asked:
    So would anyone like to tell me (politely) what to do with the broth?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Omelet suggested:
    Simply cook rice with it. 2 parts shrimp stuff to 1 part rice ... Then
    use that rice to serve a seafood dish over.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Andy and Cathy both came up with:
    > Use some in gumbo or jambalaya.

    Felice exclaimed, smacking forehead:
    Gumbo! Jambalaya! The grey cells must be taking the day off. Thanks, all.

    Happy cooking babe! :-)

    Shrimp stock is the gods...
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  7. Felice Friese said:

    Done it again, I have: simmered that collection of shrimp shells from the
    freezer into a rich and luscious broth. And once again I wonder what to do
    with it, aside from the usual shrimp bisque and the start of a new
    collection of shells. It's a damned vicious circle, is what it is.

    So would anyone like to tell me (politely) what to do with the broth?

    And come to think of it, do I have shrimp stock or shrimp broth?

    Felice

    Use the broth/stock for a seafood/fish chowder? Shrimp/shellfish risotto?

    gloria p

  8. Felice Friese said:


    So would anyone like to tell me (politely) what to do with the broth?

    And come to think of it, do I have shrimp stock or shrimp broth?

    Felice

    Gumbo!!!!!

    Christine

  9. Felice Friese said:

    Done it again, I have: simmered that collection of shrimp shells from the
    freezer into a rich and luscious broth. And once again I wonder what to do
    with it, aside from the usual shrimp bisque and the start of a new
    collection of shells. It's a damned vicious circle, is what it is.

    So would anyone like to tell me (politely) what to do with the broth?

    And come to think of it, do I have shrimp stock or shrimp broth?

    Felice


    stock if its not seasoned broth if it is, but whatever you do with it do
    it quickly for i have found you have to use seafood stocks very quickly
    or the flavour fades out in a very short time.

    I never freeze stock though i will reduce it to a glace but have never
    do this with a seafood stock.
    --
    JL

  10. Felice Friese said:

    Done it again, I have: simmered that collection of shrimp shells from the
    freezer into a rich and luscious broth. And once again I wonder what to do
    with it, aside from the usual shrimp bisque and the start of a new
    collection of shells. It's a damned vicious circle, is what it is.

    So would anyone like to tell me (politely) what to do with the broth?

    And come to think of it, do I have shrimp stock or shrimp broth?

    Felice

    I made this a few months ago. It was very good. You'll have to scale
    the recipe down.

    PAPPADEAUX'S SEAFOOD KITCHEN YVETTE

    http://www.recipelink.com/mf/14/21489

    Here's what it looked like.

    http://i13.tinypic.com/2usxs8n.jpg

    Lou

  11. Felice Friese said:

    So would anyone like to tell me (politely) what to do with the broth?

    I like the following Creole recipe, from which I personally would omit
    bell peppers, as I detest them. The recipe is from "Galatoire's
    Cookbook" by Leon Galatoire, complete with his comments. Just ignore
    the stock-making part and proceed using your stock.

    Victor

    Stewed Shrimp Court Bouillon

    _Court bouillon_ means "short boil". Yet in New Orleans cuisine, this
    has become a sort of tomato baked recipe that is served mostly with
    redfish, although in this particular recipe I like to use shrimp for a
    different and perhaps more interesting presentation.
    This dish is a staple of Creole cuisine.

    48 large shrimp
    3 whole peeled tomatoes
    3 yellow onions
    2 bell peppers
    6 tbsp. olive oil
    3 cloves minced garlic
    4 cups Shrimp Stock (recipe below)
    3 cups cooked rice

    Stock ingredients
    Shrimp heads and shells
    1 qt. salted water
    1 carrot, julienned
    2 ribs celery, chopped
    1 large onion, quartered
    2 bay leaves
    1 tbsp. whole black peppercorns

    To make the stock, peel and remove the heads from the shrimp and reserve
    them. Rinse the shrimp and put aside.

    Fill a soup pot with the salted water and heat on a high setting. Put
    in the heads and shells, julienned carrots, chopped celery, onion, bay
    leaves, and peppercorns. Boil uncovered for 30 minutes and strain
    through a fine sieve. This is the shrimp stock, yield should be 4 cups.

    Cut the tomatoes and onions into wedges, separating the onion and
    julienne the bell peppers. In a large saucepan or stewing pot heat
    enough olive oil to thoroughly cover the cooking surface of the pot.
    Sauté the onion and bell peppers for 2-3 minutes until tender. Add the
    shrimp and sauté until they are pink and firm. Add in the tomatoes and
    garlic. Cook for a few minutes until they are soft, then pour in 4 cups
    of the shrimp stock and cover. On a medium heat setting, cook for 20
    minutes, during which time you may cook your rice.

    Serve the court bouillon over rice. Serves 6.

  12. "Lou Decruss" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Felice Friese said:

    Done it again, I have: simmered that collection of shrimp shells from the
    freezer into a rich and luscious broth. And once again I wonder what to do
    with it, aside from the usual shrimp bisque and the start of a new
    collection of shells. It's a damned vicious circle, is what it is.

    So would anyone like to tell me (politely) what to do with the broth?

    And come to think of it, do I have shrimp stock or shrimp broth?

    Felice

    I made this a few months ago. It was very good. You'll have to scale
    the recipe down.

    PAPPADEAUX'S SEAFOOD KITCHEN YVETTE

    http://www.recipelink.com/mf/14/21489

    Here's what it looked like.

    http://i13.tinypic.com/2usxs8n.jpg

    Lou

    Hot damn! Disregarding scaling for now, you gotta like a sauce that starts
    with two pounds of butter!

    Felice

  13. "Victor Sack" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Felice Friese said:

    So would anyone like to tell me (politely) what to do with the broth?

    I like the following Creole recipe, from which I personally would omit
    bell peppers, as I detest them. The recipe is from "Galatoire's
    Cookbook" by Leon Galatoire, complete with his comments. Just ignore
    the stock-making part and proceed using your stock.

    Victor

    Stewed Shrimp Court Bouillon

    _Court bouillon_ means "short boil". Yet in New Orleans cuisine, this
    has become a sort of tomato baked recipe that is served mostly with
    redfish, although in this particular recipe I like to use shrimp for a
    different and perhaps more interesting presentation.
    This dish is a staple of Creole cuisine.

    48 large shrimp
    3 whole peeled tomatoes
    3 yellow onions
    2 bell peppers
    6 tbsp. olive oil
    3 cloves minced garlic
    4 cups Shrimp Stock (recipe below)
    3 cups cooked rice

    Stock ingredients
    Shrimp heads and shells
    1 qt. salted water
    1 carrot, julienned
    2 ribs celery, chopped
    1 large onion, quartered
    2 bay leaves
    1 tbsp. whole black peppercorns

    To make the stock, peel and remove the heads from the shrimp and reserve
    them. Rinse the shrimp and put aside.

    Fill a soup pot with the salted water and heat on a high setting. Put
    in the heads and shells, julienned carrots, chopped celery, onion, bay
    leaves, and peppercorns. Boil uncovered for 30 minutes and strain
    through a fine sieve. This is the shrimp stock, yield should be 4 cups.

    Cut the tomatoes and onions into wedges, separating the onion and
    julienne the bell peppers. In a large saucepan or stewing pot heat
    enough olive oil to thoroughly cover the cooking surface of the pot.
    Sauté the onion and bell peppers for 2-3 minutes until tender. Add the
    shrimp and sauté until they are pink and firm. Add in the tomatoes and
    garlic. Cook for a few minutes until they are soft, then pour in 4 cups
    of the shrimp stock and cover. On a medium heat setting, cook for 20
    minutes, during which time you may cook your rice.

    Serve the court bouillon over rice. Serves 6.

    Couldn't bear to cut the recipe, Victor, in case anyone missed it! This is
    definitely a "to do" with this batch of stock or the next.
    Do you detest all bell peppers? I hate the green but I love the
    red/yellow/orange!

    Felice

  14. "Felice Friese" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Done it again, I have: simmered that collection of shrimp shells from the
    freezer into a rich and luscious broth. And once again I wonder what to do
    with it, aside from the usual shrimp bisque and the start of a new
    collection of shells. It's a damned vicious circle, is what it is.

    So would anyone like to tell me (politely) what to do with the broth?

    And come to think of it, do I have shrimp stock or shrimp broth?

    Felice


    I learned this at the 4th St. Restaurant in Berkeley, from Mark Miller[Santa
    Fe Bar and Grill] before he became famous. When you remove the shells, you
    brown them in a saute pan and then make your stock. You don't just throw
    them into water. This gives you a much richer stock. This is a great
    addition to paella instead of the usual chicken stock. I do this with clam
    juice and a bit of chicken stock to make paella and bouillabaisse, or any
    fish stew.Finding a decent seafood stock in the US of A is almost
    impossible.

    Kent

    Post Script thought. I do the same with leftover crab shells to make Crab
    Newberg. We should make a Shrimp Newberg with the leftover as well.

  15. "Kent" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Felice Friese" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Done it again, I have: simmered that collection of shrimp shells from the
    freezer into a rich and luscious broth. And once again I wonder what to
    do with it, aside from the usual shrimp bisque and the start of a new
    collection of shells. It's a damned vicious circle, is what it is.

    So would anyone like to tell me (politely) what to do with the broth?

    And come to think of it, do I have shrimp stock or shrimp broth?

    Felice


    I learned this at the 4th St. Restaurant in Berkeley, from Mark
    Miller[Santa Fe Bar and Grill] before he became famous. When you remove
    the shells, you brown them in a saute pan and then make your stock. You
    don't just throw them into water. This gives you a much richer stock. This
    is a great addition to paella instead of the usual chicken stock. I do
    this with clam juice and a bit of chicken stock to make paella and
    bouillabaisse, or any fish stew.Finding a decent seafood stock in the US
    of A is almost impossible.

    Kent

    Post Script thought. I do the same with leftover crab shells to make Crab
    Newberg. We should make a Shrimp Newberg with the leftover as well.

    Ah! I usually brown meat and bones for chicken and beef stock, but never
    thought of doing the shrimp shells. Thanks for the tip.

    Felice

  16. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Kent said:

    "Felice Friese" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Done it again, I have: simmered that collection of shrimp shells from the
    freezer into a rich and luscious broth. And once again I wonder what to do
    with it, aside from the usual shrimp bisque and the start of a new
    collection of shells. It's a damned vicious circle, is what it is.

    So would anyone like to tell me (politely) what to do with the broth?

    And come to think of it, do I have shrimp stock or shrimp broth?

    Felice


    I learned this at the 4th St. Restaurant in Berkeley, from Mark Miller[Santa
    Fe Bar and Grill] before he became famous. When you remove the shells, you
    brown them in a saute pan and then make your stock. You don't just throw
    them into water. This gives you a much richer stock. This is a great
    addition to paella instead of the usual chicken stock. I do this with clam
    juice and a bit of chicken stock to make paella and bouillabaisse, or any
    fish stew.Finding a decent seafood stock in the US of A is almost
    impossible.

    Kent

    I collect shrimp shells for stock and have never tried browning them.

    Thanks for the hint. ;-)
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  17. Felice Friese said:

    Do you detest all bell peppers? I hate the green but I love the
    red/yellow/orange!

    I cannot stand any of them!

    Victor

  18. Victor Sack said:
    Felice Friese said:

    Do you detest all bell peppers? I hate the green but I love the
    red/yellow/orange!

    I cannot stand any of them!

    That's ridiculous. It's not like they're onions or something 🙂

    Brian

    --
    If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
    won't shut up.
    -- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)

  19. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Kent said:

    Then you remove the shells, you
    brown them in a saute pan and then make your stock. You don't just throw
    them into water. This gives you a much richer stock.

    I generally bake them in a hot oven until some start to look
    questionable by slightly burning around the edges. Then I stuff them
    into enough water to boil them. I simmer them for about a half-hour,
    remove them and bring the simmering liquid down to about a half pint.
    It's OK, but I'll try your method next time. Mo butter, mo better.

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

  20. Felice Friese said:

    Done it again, I have: simmered that collection of shrimp shells from the
    freezer into a rich and luscious broth. And once again I wonder what to do
    with it, aside from the usual shrimp bisque and the start of a new
    collection of shells. It's a damned vicious circle, is what it is.

    So would anyone like to tell me (politely) what to do with the broth?

    And come to think of it, do I have shrimp stock or shrimp broth?

    Felice


    Lots of good soup/gumbo/chowder suggestions are cropping up here, I
    see.

    Moi, I'd reduce some of it and use it as the liquid in a sauce for
    grilled shrimp. I'd probably think in terms of one of the important
    cuisines, I've sampled -- Provencal, Mexican, SE Asian -- and build
    something in agreement with what I know about them.
    --

    modom

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.