May be a bit off topic but I was wondering if anyone has experience of using the e-trex with a PDA.
When I'm travelling to warmer climes to get my geriatric walking in, it could be useful. Yeah, I
know a motoring atlas is a lot cheaper but I've already got an e-trex and I might as well get
maximum use out of it.
--
Ian S
General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion
GPS and Palm pilots
Thread navigation
Jump through the discussion
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- General fitness, health and nutrition
- Published
- 5 March 2004
- Last activity
- 26 March 2004
- Original author
- Ian Sant
- Posts
- 47
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 2,300
- Views / 30 days
- 0
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
"Ian Sant" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
May be a bit off topic but I was wondering if anyone has experience of
usingQuoted message said:
the e-trex with a PDA. When I'm travelling to warmer climes to get my geriatric walking in, it
could be useful. Yeah, I know a motoring atlas is
aQuoted message said:
lot cheaper but I've already got an e-trex and I might as well get maximum use out of it.
--
Ian SI've got an e-trex, serial link cables and a Psion Series 5MX (but they've stopped selling them :-(
) Also, I've got an in car bracket, and a copy if Tom Toms Route Planner. When all the bits are
combined, it's fantastic. I use it whenever I drive anywhere, and will highly recommend this kind of
SatNav system. They're much more versatile than an all in one system, as you can take it to bits and
use the various parts for other things.I know that it's possible to get PDA's that with software similar to RoutePlanner. They'll all work
about the same (generally speaking) If you're intending to use it whilst driving, then you'll
definatly need to fix it to the Dashboad so that you can see it. Apart from being illegal to use a
PDA and drive, it's also extremely dangerous!Regards
Col.
-
Yes an garmin vista with an ipaq 3850.
Use Tomtom Navigator 2 for roads
and
OziExplorerCe and/or Anquet for hill walking.
Use a simple data lead whilst walking
and
a rather more complicated one in the car which supplies power to the Ipaq and the gps and allows
exchange of data. Power is sourced from the car cigarette lighter.Ipaq is mounted on a holder on the window screen, gps lies on the dashboard.
Mike Mason
"Ian Sant" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
May be a bit off topic but I was wondering if anyone has experience of
usingQuoted message said:
the e-trex with a PDA. When I'm travelling to warmer climes to get my geriatric walking in, it
could be useful. Yeah, I know a motoring atlas is
aQuoted message said:
lot cheaper but I've already got an e-trex and I might as well get maximum use out of it.
--
Ian S -
Colin Dawson said:
Apart from being illegal to use a PDA and drive, it's also
extremely dangerous!If you hold it in your hand, press the buttons and stare at
it constantly yes, of course it's dangerous. It's also
extremely dangerous to take your hands off the wheel to
change gears, use the indicator, switch lights etc. and to
stare constantly at the speedometer, rev counter,
mileometer, petrol gauge and oil light too, so why aren't
all of these things illegal too?:-)
Paul
--
wilderness-wales.co.ukwilderness-wales.co.ukOpen ↗
wildwales.fsnet.co.ukwildwales.fsnet.co.ukOpen ↗
photosig.comuserphotosOpen ↗ -
As far as I'm aware the criteria that is in place for mobile phones is the
same for pda's. At least that's what the legislation seems to indicate.
"Paul Saunders" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
Colin Dawson said:
Apart from being illegal to use a PDA and drive, it's
also extremely dangerous!If you hold it in your hand, press the buttons and stare
at it constantly yes, of course it's dangerous. It's also
extremely dangerous to take your hands off the wheel to
change gears, use the indicator, switch lights etc. and to
stare constantly at the speedometer, rev counter,
mileometer, petrol gauge and oil light too, so why aren't
all of these things illegal too?:-)
Paul
--
wilderness-wales.co.ukwilderness-wales.co.ukOpen ↗
wildwales.fsnet.co.ukwildwales.fsnet.co.ukOpen ↗
photosig.comuserphotosOpen ↗ -
Dont be a nob!!!!
"Paul Saunders" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
Colin Dawson said:
Apart from being illegal to use a PDA and drive, it's
also extremely dangerous!If you hold it in your hand, press the buttons and stare
at it constantly yes, of course it's dangerous. It's also
extremely dangerous to take your hands off the wheel to
change gears, use the indicator, switch lights etc. and to
stare constantly at the speedometer, rev counter,
mileometer, petrol gauge and oil light too, so why aren't
all of these things illegal too?:-)
Paul
--
wilderness-wales.co.ukwilderness-wales.co.ukOpen ↗
wildwales.fsnet.co.ukwildwales.fsnet.co.ukOpen ↗
photosig.comuserphotosOpen ↗ -
"Paul Saunders" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...
Quoted message said:
Colin Dawson said:
Apart from being illegal to use a PDA and drive, it's
also extremely dangerous!If you hold it in your hand, press the buttons and stare
at it constantly yes, of course it's dangerous. It's also
extremely dangerous to take your hands off the wheel to
change gears, use the indicator, switch lights etc. and to
stare constantly at the speedometer, rev counter,
mileometer, petrol gauge and oil light too, so why aren't
all of these things illegal too?Quoted message said:
Paul
Not one of your better postings Paul,
Quite simply - there is a distinction between things that
give driver information, like rear view mirrors, speedo etc
which are quite legal to glance at whilst driving, and
staring exclusively at one source of information to the
detriment of all others, be it the view out of front
windscreen, rear mirror, speedo or whatever. Those who
concentrate on one information source only may be guilty of
carless drivng as their standard of driving will have fallen
below that required by the Highway Code. Indicators and horn
should not require taking hands from steering wheel and
other operations such as changing gear, switching lights, or
GPS Operation should only be done at a time when other
aspects of driving are not compromised by taking the hand
from the wheel. The only analogy I can come up with from a
walking point of view is walking though a bog purely because
it looks clear ahead, and ignoring the fact that your legs
are telling you that they are immersed in water.Steve Jones
-
Steve Williams said:
Dont be a nob!!!!
That's illegal too. Twiddling with the knobs on the
radio, that is.Quoted message said:
"Paul Saunders" <[email hidden]> wrote in
message "]news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
Colin Dawson said:
Apart from being illegal to use a PDA and drive, it's
also extremely dangerous!If you hold it in your hand, press the buttons and stare
at it constantly yes, of course it's dangerous. It's also
extremely dangerous to take your hands off the wheel to
change gears, use the indicator, switch lights etc. and
to stare constantly at the speedometer, rev counter,
mileometer, petrol gauge and oil light too, so why aren't
all of these things illegal too?They are if you focus on them to excess. It's called driving
without due care and attention.Most gauges and lights in cars can be taken in at a glance.
The only thing I can take in at a glance on my GPS12 is the
compass arrow. Reading the ETA off it needs a straight bit
of road with nothing coming the other way.
--
Phil Cook looking north over the park to the
"Westminster Gasworks" -
Steve Jones said:
Quite simply - there is a distinction between things that
give driver information, like rear view mirrors, speedo
etc which are quite legal to glance at whilst driving, and
staring exclusively at one source of information to the
detriment of all others, be it the view out of front
windscreen, rear mirror, speedo or whatever.Well obviously. What did you think I was trying to say?
Maybe your sarcasm detector isn't working properly?Quoted message said:
Indicators and horn should not require taking hands from
steering wheel and other operations such as changing gear,
switching lights, or GPS Operation should only be done at
a time when other aspects of driving are not compromised
by taking the hand from the wheel.Exactly, so why Colin's assertion that PDA's are
illegal in cars?Paul
--
wilderness-wales.co.ukwilderness-wales.co.ukOpen ↗
wildwales.fsnet.co.ukwildwales.fsnet.co.ukOpen ↗
photosig.comuserphotosOpen ↗ -
Quoted message said:
Well obviously. What did you think I was trying to say?
Maybe your sarcasm detector isn't working properly?Sorry, just checked and the batteries have gone flat, must
get myself a new set of NiMh's.Quoted message said:
Exactly, so why Colin's assertion that PDA's are illegal
in cars?Paul
A GPS system in a car is not illegal, because it gives
'driver information'. A PDA used purely as GPS display would
not be illegal if it were fixed to the dash. I think Colin
was referring to the PDA being held in the hand, which would
place it in the same category as a mobile phone. Sorry,
can't think of any sarcastic repartee, as my batteries are
still on charge.Steve
-
Mike Mason said:
Yes an garmin vista with an ipaq 3850.
Use Tomtom Navigator 2 for roads
and
OziExplorerCe and/or Anquet for hill walking.
Use a simple data lead whilst walking
and
a rather more complicated one in the car which supplies
power to the Ipaq and the gps and allows exchange of data.
Power is sourced from the car cigarette lighter.How do you get on with battery life of the ipaq while
walking ? Is it practical to have it turned on all the time
? And there have been issues of fragility and waterproofness
raised when this setup has been discussed before - any
comments ?Jim Hutton
-
Steve Jones said:
A GPS system in a car is not illegal, because it gives
'driver information'. A PDA used purely as GPS display
would not be illegal if it were fixed to the dash. I
think Colin was referring to the PDA being held in the
hand, which would place it in the same category as a
mobile phone.Well it would be pretty stupid to hold a PDA in your hand
whilst driving, wouldn't it? At least with a mobile phone
you can watch the road while you are talking, but a PDA
would require that you look at it as you operate it.What about reading maps while you are driving? You know,
those paper things? ;-)Paul
--
wilderness-wales.co.ukwilderness-wales.co.ukOpen ↗
wildwales.fsnet.co.ukwildwales.fsnet.co.ukOpen ↗
photosig.comuserphotosOpen ↗ -
Paul Saunders <[email hidden]> wrote
Quoted message said:
Steve Jones said:
A GPS system in a car is not illegal, because it gives
'driver information'. A PDA used purely as GPS display
would not be illegal if it were fixed to the dash. I
think Colin was referring to the PDA being held in the
hand, which would place it in the same category as a
mobile phone.Well it would be pretty stupid to hold a PDA in your hand
whilst driving, wouldn't it? At least with a mobile phone
you can watch the road while you are talking, but a PDA
would require that you look at it as you operate it.What about reading maps while you are driving? You know,
those paper things? ;-)
I can read 1:25,000 OS maps ok whilst driving, but it's the
folding up and unfolding that's tricky.Sense of humour, anyone?
--
Gordon -
Get about four hours use in the day so I don't run it all
the time. Just use it when I want confirmation where I am
and all that sort of thing. Use it to note gps grid
reference of where I've taken a photograph from. I know I
could use a waypoint but that means unclipping my gps of the
harness of my sac which is a bit difficult to do.As I am not into multi day walks keeping it charged is not a
problem. I just charge it up from the car in the evening, if
it needs it, ready for the following day.As for fragility, well it's a bit like drop it and its
costly, so I don't. I keep it in the plastic cover case that
it came supplied with inside a zipped padded nylon case. Its
usually kept in the sac lid pocket inside a poly bag. In the
rain I just prat about and open everything whilst its still
in the poly bag. In the dry it sometime ends up a pocket on
a jacket or cag for ease of use but I am very aware that if
I slip it could get expensive.Biggest problem was the connecting lead getting in the way.
That's now been solved with some velcro loops which hold the
cable onto my sac.Been using the setup now for 18 months with no problems
other than the screen is getting rather scratched but that's
not through walking rather through use whilst I'm doing
consultancy/training in a shop floor environment.And as a last comment before I am dropped on from a vast
height I do use a map and compass as well. Neither system is
primary, both are used in conjunction with each other and it
does provide me with a great deal of delight.Mike Mason
"Jim Hutton" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
Mike Mason said:
Yes an garmin vista with an ipaq 3850.
Use Tomtom Navigator 2 for roads
and
OziExplorerCe and/or Anquet for hill walking.
Use a simple data lead whilst walking
and
a rather more complicated one in the car which supplies
power to the Ipaq and the gps and allows exchange of
data. Power is sourced from the car cigarette lighter.How do you get on with battery life of the ipaq while
walking ? Is it practical to have it turned on all the
time ? And there have been issues of fragility and
waterproofness raised when this setup has been discussed
before - any comments ?Jim Hutton
-
On Sun, 7 Mar 2004, Paul Saunders wrote:
x-no-archive: yesQuoted message said:
Steve Jones said:
A GPS system in a car is not illegal, because it gives
'driver information'. A PDA used purely as GPS display
would not be illegal if it were fixed to the dash. I
think Colin was referring to the PDA being held in the
hand, which would place it in the same category as a
mobile phone.Well it would be pretty stupid to hold a PDA in your hand
whilst driving, wouldn't it? At least with a mobile phone
you can watch the road while you are talking, but a PDA
would require that you look at it as you operate it.What about reading maps while you are driving? You know,
those paper things? ;-)Not to mention road signs. Very hazardous things.
--
Chris Malcolm [email hidden] IPAB, Informatics,
James Clerk Maxwell Building, King's Buildings Edinburgh,
EH9 3JZ, UK. ["]http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/] -
x-no-archive: yes
Gordon said:
Paul Saunders <[email hidden]> wrote
Quoted message said:
Steve Jones wrote:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
A GPS system in a car is not illegal, because it gives
'driver information'. A PDA used purely as GPS display
would not be illegal if it were fixed to the dash. I
think Colin was referring to the PDA being held in the
hand, which would place it in the same category as a
mobile phone.Well it would be pretty stupid to hold a PDA in your hand
whilst driving, wouldn't it? At least with a mobile phone
you can watch the road while you are talking, but a PDA
would require that you look at it as you operate it.What about reading maps while you are driving? You know,
those paper things? ;-)
I can read 1:25,000 OS maps ok whilst driving, but it's
the folding up and unfolding that's tricky.Sense of humour, anyone?
Hold the wheel a minute while I check under the seat.
--
Chris Malcolm [email hidden] IPAB, Informatics,
James Clerk Maxwell Building, King's Buildings Edinburgh,
EH9 3JZ, UK. ["]http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/] -
(Steve Jones) said:
"Paul Saunders" <[email hidden]> wrote in
message news:<[email hidden]>...Quoted message said:
Colin Dawson wrote:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Apart from being illegal to use a PDA and drive, it's
also extremely dangerous!Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
If you hold it in your hand, press the buttons and stare
at it constantly yes, of course it's dangerous. It's also
extremely dangerous to take your hands off the wheel to
change gears, use the indicator, switch lights etc. and
to stare constantly at the speedometer, rev counter,
mileometer, petrol gauge and oil light too, so why aren't
all of these things illegal too?Quoted message said:
Those who concentrate on one information source only may be
guilty of carless drivng as their standard of driving will
have fallen below that required by the Highway Code.
Indicators and horn should not require taking hands from
steering wheel and other operations such as changing gear,
switching lights, or GPS Operation should only be done at a
time when other aspects of driving are not compromised by
taking the hand from the wheel. The only analogy I can come
up with from a walking point of view is walking though a
bog purely because it looks clear ahead, and ignoring the
fact that your legs are telling you that they are immersed
in water.Observed a week ago in a car park. Bloke drives around and
parks car while yakking on mobile phone. Gets out of car
still yakking on phone. Walks towards car park sign the
bottom of which is about 5'6" high off the ground, supported
at edges by two large scaffolding type poles about 5' apart.
Yakker walks between poles straight into sign, striking it
with forehead with resounding thump, staggers backwards
clutching head.Observed several weeks ago in street where there are car
parking spaces in the middle of the street, with waist-high
coin-in-slot parking meters. Bloke is walking along texting
on his phone, and walks straight into parking meter.--
Chris Malcolm [email hidden] +44 (0)131 651 3445 DoD #205
IPAB, Informatics, JCMB, King's Buildings, Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK
["]http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/] -
Chris Malcolm <[email hidden]> wrote
Quoted message said:
x-no-archive: yes
Gordon said:
Paul Saunders <[email hidden]> wrote
Quoted message said:
Steve Jones wrote:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
> A GPS system in a car is not illegal, because it gives
> 'driver information'. A PDA used purely as GPS display
> would not be illegal if it were fixed to the dash. I
> think Colin was referring to the PDA being held in the
> hand, which would place it in the same category as a
> mobile phone.Well it would be pretty stupid to hold a PDA in your
hand whilst driving, wouldn't it? At least with a
mobile phone you can watch the road while you are
talking, but a PDA would require that you look at it as
you operate it.What about reading maps while you are driving? You know,
those paper things? ;-)
I can read 1:25,000 OS maps ok whilst driving, but it's
the folding up and unfolding that's tricky.Sense of humour, anyone?
Hold the wheel a minute while I check under the seat.
LOL!
--
Gordon -
In article <[email hidden]>, Gordon
<[email hidden]> writesQuoted message said:
I can read 1:25,000 OS maps ok whilst driving, but it's the
folding up and unfolding that's tricky.Sense of humour, anyone?
--
I remember filling my pipe and lighting it while driving my
Landrover - no probs. Reversing out of the ditch was a bit
tricky though!
--
Bill Grey billboy.co.ukbillboy.co.ukOpen ↗ -
In article <[email hidden]>, Chris Malcolm
<[email hidden]> writesQuoted message said:
Observed several weeks ago in street where there are car
parking spaces in the middle of the street, with waist-high
coin-in-slot parking meters. Bloke is walking along texting
on his phone, and walks straight into parking meter.Chickenfeed!!
As a young man in the RAF - Yatesbury in fact, while walking
through a hangar yakking to a mate I walked into a Lancaster
Bomber!! so There.
--
Bill Grey billboy.co.ukbillboy.co.ukOpen ↗
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.