GPS for cyclists

P Burke

Guest
I'm about to invest in a GPS for cycle touring. What is the best for value and features available at
the moment? Pat.

Garmin eMap is pretty good for all sorts of things. Try www.gps4less.co.uk (or maybe .com). Niv. "P

P Burke wrote:

>I'm about to invest in a GPS for cycle touring. What is the best for value and features available
>at the moment?

I have a Garmin etrex Summit. I use it mostly for mountaineering, but have a handlebar mount. It did
very well across the Pyrenees last year. Battery charge for Ni-MH rechargeable batteries is about 5
hours. 2 spare sets of batteries and a recharger (and continental adaptor) are recommended for a
tour to avoid high battery costs. Accuracy is fantastic - on mountain tops to 5m, in valleys 10m -
100m. Only once have I lost satellite contact on a bike for a sustained period of time, cycling up
the Gorges de Ribaouto.

The information it gives is fantastic. Speed, average speed, distance, time, ascent, decent, average
ascent speed, average decent speed, altitude, air pressure, sunset, sunrise, bearing, max speed, max
altitude, min altitude, vertical speed, max ascent speed, max decent speed as well as all the
location functions, including waypoints, and mapping.
--
remove remove to reply

In article <[email protected]>, "P Burke" <[email protected]> wrote:

I've got a basic Garmin eTrex (the yellow one) + handlbar mounting kit. It works fine, is rainproof,
easily usable while riding, and can be detached and pocketed in a second when the bike's parked.
Garmin have a number of models with the same form factor but extra features: I paid a little over
100 pounds for mine 2 years ago but I think you can pay 2 or 3 times as much for a advanced model
now, depending on your needs and how much you can afford.

John

--
John Blackburne; programmer, The Pitbull Syndicate <http://www.hk.super.net/~johnb

On Wed, 21 May 2003 19:53:22 +0100, Gonzalez <[email protected]> wrote:

>P Burke wrote:
>
>>I'm about to invest in a GPS for cycle touring. What is the best for value and features available
>>at the moment?

The Geko 201 is tremendous - I bought one for running...it's that tiny!

Getting a bike mount also. Surprisingly for a budget model, it has turn by turn routing...but no
maps or anything, so a PC is handy for route management/

WAAS compatible, which will be important early next year. 10000 track points also.

£135 including a cable...can't be bad!

Try www.gpsw.co.uk for the item, and www.pfranc.co.uk for the cable.

--
------- o ----- <#\, --- ()/() Belfast Biker Specialized Sirrus + Gilera Runner! N54 33' W05 58'

On Fri, 23 May 2003 22:29:02 +0100, Paul Allen <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Wed, 21 May 2003 19:53:22 +0100, Gonzalez <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>P Burke wrote:
>>
>>>I'm about to invest in a GPS for cycle touring. What is the best for value and features available
>>>at the moment?
>

>The Geko 201 is tremendous - I bought one for running...it's that tiny!
>
>Getting a bike mount also. Surprisingly for a budget model, it has turn by turn routing...but no
>maps or anything, so a PC is handy for route management/
>
>WAAS compatible, which will be important early next year. 10000 track points also.
>
>£135 including a cable...can't be bad!
>
>Try www.gpsw.co.uk for the item, and www.pfranc.co.uk for the cable.

Do you have to program in all the coordinates of every turn? Is each turn a "track point"? I am
always getting lost so a gps would be good for me

On Sat, 24 May 2003 15:34:24 +0100, Alan Oakley <[email protected]> wrote:

>Do you have to program in all the coordinates of every turn? Is each turn a "track point"? I am
>always getting lost so a gps would be good for me

You could do the route on a PC first an just upload it.
--
------- o ----- <#\, --- ()/() Belfast Biker Specialized Sirrus + Gilera Runner! N54 33' W05 58'

Thanks for that . I will look out for it.. Any particular software that you recommend?

On Mon, 26 May 2003 10:52:34 +0100, Alan Oakley <[email protected]> wrote:

>Thanks for that . I will look out for it.. Any particular software that you recommend?

The great Ozi Explorer comes highly recommended....

(You need to scan your own maps first though.)
--
------- o ----- <#\, --- ()/() Belfast Biker Specialized Sirrus + Gilera Runner! N54 33' W05 58'