GPS for cyclists

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by P Burke, May 21, 2003.

  1. P Burke

    P Burke Guest

    I'm about to invest in a GPS for cycle touring. What is the best for value and features available at
    the moment? Pat.

    Tags:

  2. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

  3. Niv

    Niv Guest

    Garmin eMap is pretty good for all sorts of things. Try www.gps4less.co.uk (or maybe .com). Niv. "P
    Burke" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm about to invest in a GPS for cycle touring. What is the best for value and features available
    > at the moment? Pat.

  4. Gonzalez

    Gonzalez Guest

    P Burke wrote:

    >I'm about to invest in a GPS for cycle touring. What is the best for value and features available
    >at the moment?

    I have a Garmin etrex Summit. I use it mostly for mountaineering, but have a handlebar mount. It did
    very well across the Pyrenees last year. Battery charge for Ni-MH rechargeable batteries is about 5
    hours. 2 spare sets of batteries and a recharger (and continental adaptor) are recommended for a
    tour to avoid high battery costs. Accuracy is fantastic - on mountain tops to 5m, in valleys 10m -
    100m. Only once have I lost satellite contact on a bike for a sustained period of time, cycling up
    the Gorges de Ribaouto.

    The information it gives is fantastic. Speed, average speed, distance, time, ascent, decent, average
    ascent speed, average decent speed, altitude, air pressure, sunset, sunrise, bearing, max speed, max
    altitude, min altitude, vertical speed, max ascent speed, max decent speed as well as all the
    location functions, including waypoints, and mapping.
    --
    remove remove to reply

  5. In article <[email protected]>, "P Burke" <[email protected]> wrote:

    I've got a basic Garmin eTrex (the yellow one) + handlbar mounting kit. It works fine, is rainproof,
    easily usable while riding, and can be detached and pocketed in a second when the bike's parked.
    Garmin have a number of models with the same form factor but extra features: I paid a little over
    100 pounds for mine 2 years ago but I think you can pay 2 or 3 times as much for a advanced model
    now, depending on your needs and how much you can afford.

    John

    --
    John Blackburne; programmer, The Pitbull Syndicate <http://www.hk.super.net/~johnb

  6. Paul Allen

    Paul Allen Guest

    On Wed, 21 May 2003 19:53:22 +0100, Gonzalez <[email protected]> wrote:

    >P Burke wrote:
    >
    >>I'm about to invest in a GPS for cycle touring. What is the best for value and features available
    >>at the moment?

    The Geko 201 is tremendous - I bought one for running...it's that tiny!

    Getting a bike mount also. Surprisingly for a budget model, it has turn by turn routing...but no
    maps or anything, so a PC is handy for route management/

    WAAS compatible, which will be important early next year. 10000 track points also.

    £135 including a cable...can't be bad!

    Try www.gpsw.co.uk for the item, and www.pfranc.co.uk for the cable.

    --
    ------- o ----- <#\, --- ()/() Belfast Biker Specialized Sirrus + Gilera Runner! N54 33' W05 58'

  7. Alan Oakley

    Alan Oakley Guest

    On Fri, 23 May 2003 22:29:02 +0100, Paul Allen <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Wed, 21 May 2003 19:53:22 +0100, Gonzalez <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>P Burke wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm about to invest in a GPS for cycle touring. What is the best for value and features available
    >>>at the moment?
    >

    >The Geko 201 is tremendous - I bought one for running...it's that tiny!
    >
    >Getting a bike mount also. Surprisingly for a budget model, it has turn by turn routing...but no
    >maps or anything, so a PC is handy for route management/
    >
    >WAAS compatible, which will be important early next year. 10000 track points also.
    >
    >£135 including a cable...can't be bad!
    >
    >Try www.gpsw.co.uk for the item, and www.pfranc.co.uk for the cable.

    Do you have to program in all the coordinates of every turn? Is each turn a "track point"? I am
    always getting lost so a gps would be good for me

  8. Paul Allen

    Paul Allen Guest

    On Sat, 24 May 2003 15:34:24 +0100, Alan Oakley <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Do you have to program in all the coordinates of every turn? Is each turn a "track point"? I am
    >always getting lost so a gps would be good for me

    You could do the route on a PC first an just upload it.
    --
    ------- o ----- <#\, --- ()/() Belfast Biker Specialized Sirrus + Gilera Runner! N54 33' W05 58'

  9. Alan Oakley

    Alan Oakley Guest

    Thanks for that . I will look out for it.. Any particular software that you recommend?

    Sat, 24 May 2003 17:49:38 +0100, Paul Allen <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sat, 24 May 2003 15:34:24 +0100, Alan Oakley <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Do you have to program in all the coordinates of every turn? Is each turn a "track point"? I am
    >>always getting lost so a gps would be good for me
    >

    >You could do the route on a PC first an just upload it.

  10. Paul Allen

    Paul Allen Guest

    On Mon, 26 May 2003 10:52:34 +0100, Alan Oakley <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Thanks for that . I will look out for it.. Any particular software that you recommend?

    The great Ozi Explorer comes highly recommended....

    (You need to scan your own maps first though.)
    --
    ------- o ----- <#\, --- ()/() Belfast Biker Specialized Sirrus + Gilera Runner! N54 33' W05 58'