General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

GPS Trainer Done Right

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 27 posts · 678 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
9 February 2006
Last activity
10 February 2006
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
27
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
678
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–27 of 27
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Ever been in a big 10K, like the Peachtree Road Race. I'd say that about 50,000 of the runners in that race are feat accomplishers.


    _

    No, I've never been in a big 10K but in that event of 55,000 you're
    saying the runner that placed 5001 is not a competitive runner and a
    feat accomplisher.

    Nope. Never said that. I'm saying that 50,000 runners are feat
    accomplishers.

    Quoted message said:

    STEPHEN A. GURA is that person with a gun time of
    1:00:19 and a net of 58:47. TKB, what is it about running a time
    slower than 58:47 that renders people non-competitive runners and feat
    accomplishers? Who knew you were so tough with such rigorous
    standards....wow.

    Nope. You're the one with rigorous standards. I didn't say a thing
    about finishing time. But you did? What does that say about you? You're
    the one always thinking about finishing time and competition.

    Quoted message said:

    My view of ultra runners and trail runners is a
    product of the statements by those within that community like the
    person i quoted....not a performance time. I see your view is a
    product of performance.

    Nope, that's your view Lance. You seem to have things mixed up.

    tkb

  2. Quoted message said:

    I'm saying that 50,000 runners are feat


    accomplishers.
    ____

    OK, fair enough, but how do you know? How do you derive this opinion?
    What's the foundation?

    My view of the ultra & trail crowd is a product of their words about
    themselves. I have provided details quotes, points of reference,
    etc...from their figures of authority.

    We're all entitled to our views & opinions...I am not questioning
    that..., I am curious if their is substance to yours?....I have
    published "substance" to mind.......perhaps you can do the same?

  3. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Where does she say it was the *last* 50,000?


    _

    she did not reference any point of foundation for her opinion. she's
    saying apprx 10% are competive runners, 90% are feat accomplishers. in
    the absence of her clearly defining the basis of her view, it's logical
    to conclude it's on performance.

    Logical??

    If there is any difference between "feat accomplishment" and true
    competitiveness, and I repeat *if*, it lies within the heads of the
    runners. It's not something that anyone else can make a judgement about,
    least of all you.

    Quoted message said:

    i've never asserted an opinion of a "cut off point" like TKB has, she's
    drawn a line in the sand....and that's rather elitist of her i might
    add as well. but that's fine.

    You're arguing with yourself, not TKB.

    Tim

    Quoted message said:
  4. TenKBabe said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Ever been in a big 10K, like the Peachtree Road Race. I'd say that
    about 50,000 of the runners in that race are feat accomplishers. _

    No, I've never been in a big 10K but in that event of 55,000 you're
    saying the runner that placed 5001 is not a competitive runner and a
    feat accomplisher.

    TenKBabe, I think we'd better pull out now.

    As the old saying goes, "Never argue with an idiot, bystanders can't always
    tell the difference." ;-)

    Tim

  5. "Tim Downie" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    ...
    If there is any difference between "feat accomplishment" and true
    competitiveness, and I repeat *if*, it lies within the heads of the
    runners. It's not something that anyone else can make a judgement about,
    least of all you.

    I've gotta agree with this. Who is Lance or anyone else to judge another
    runner. If being competitive means to contend with another as in a rivalry,
    then it's a state of mind. The rival may or may not know he's being competed
    against. Most of those who enter races probably want to do as good as they
    can, and that, by definition, makes them competitive. How many will enter
    races just to finish and care nothing at all about their time? I would
    venture to guess that most trail and ultra runners want to perform well
    (even if they are slow), as do most road racers. In this sense, there may be
    no difference between the sports.

    Some might argue - and it seems that this is Lance's angle - that being
    competitive means being a talented runner, e.g. one capable of competing
    high in their age group. This could be taken further: it could be said one
    isn't competitive unless one is capable of vying for the win in a very
    strong field of runners. Lance's claim that he beat Donovan by some
    contorted WAVA calculation illustrates his desperation to be competitive.
    But even if he was vying for wins in his age group, which he might some day;
    it's awfully arrogant to put down other runners who may in fact be training
    and trying harder even though they are less talented.

    Others might argue that being competitive means doing your absolute best in
    training, making the most of your talent, and also competing with others in
    your club. In this sense, Lance isn't competitive either because (some would
    say) his training has been untargeted and undisciplined.

    Are trail runners and ultra runners less competitive? Or, is Lance really
    just calling them untalented. I'm a mid-packer in almost every event I race
    in, but I don't go to races and not try my best. I always try to run well
    and not leave anything out there, and I train as hard as my body will allow.
    I think most trail runners are like me: they train pretty hard, and they
    want to do well in races. Did I switch to trail races because I'm
    untalented? Hell no. I ran on trails long before I ever entered a road race.
    That others may arrive there after running roads first, it really just might
    be that they just found something they like better.

    As far as feat accomplishment goes, what's wrong with it? Perhaps those who
    over-promote mediocre feats and those who seek publicity through their feats
    get tiresome, but what's wrong with interesting races in far away places?
    Forget races, what's wrong with an obscure feat that someone does by
    himself? Lance jumps to the conclusion that people do singular feats (or win
    thin field races) only to impress others. My take on it is that they want to
    do something challenging and adventurous because it's interesting and fun
    and, yes, it makes for good story telling to your friends, and *gasp* it
    might even make for an interesting read for others in a newsgroup.

    -Tony

  6. Quoted message said:

    Bones In Motion....if you got 4-5 minutes...check out the demo.

    Nice n geeky. But what has it got to do with competitive running?

  7. steve common said:
    Quoted message said:

    Bones In Motion....if you got 4-5 minutes...check out the demo.

    Nice n geeky. But what has it got to do with competitive running?

    Didn't you know? It's what the Kenyans have been using for years to give
    them an edge. ;-)

    Tim

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.