TOUR WINNER, LANCE ARMSTRONG QUOTES:
About winning: "It is an honor to win the Tour de France, but it is a greater honor when one is a
cancer survivor. Cancer is not a national problem, but a worldwide problem".
About a sixth Tour: "The important thing is to win the Tour, it doesn't matter to me that it would
be for a sixth consecutive time. That is what makes me wake up in the morning, the only thing that
matters. If I win, the season is a success. If I lose it is a disaster. Finishing second is not
consolation it would be a failure for me, for the team, for the sponsor. I would like to win again
and leave the sport on top. One thing is for sure I won't ride a farewell Tour de France. Right now
I'm not thinking and I'm not obsessed about records, but if I come back next year I will come back
in better form and with the objective of winning, I won't come to finish second".
About Ullrich's fifth second place: "I would have tried my luck at the Giro, the Worlds, the
Classics. I'm not trying to offend him, but I would have looked for a fastest way".
About the life: "I still love what I do, but it is tiresome. It's nothing personal against the media
or the fans, but I would prefer a peaceful life without obligations, without outside pressure. One
becomes a public character, a sportsman, a politician and this permanent attention is your life. I'm
sick of that".
About joining the five Tour winner club: "Joining the 5 Tour winners doesn't bring any
responsibility in itself, but it is an awesome feeling because I still see Indurain, Anquetil,
Merckx and Hinault as the champions that made me dream and I will always admire them. Right now I
don't realize that I'm at that level, but with time I will appreciate it more".
Speaking about Indurain: "Other than the physical differences we are two riders that based our
career along the same tactics and strategy: to hold on in the mountains, open differences against
the clock and plan our tactics to prevent surprises. He is a man that has always surprised me and I
thank him for the positive things that he says about me. It is the best compliment from somebody
who's not known for speaking a lot".
His toughest Tour: "My teammate Padrnos had told me that we would have a difficult time. But once
you win it, everything seems easier, but when I analyze it I'm sure that I will realize that it has
been the most difficult Tour. The advantage has been small, but sufficient. What is evident is that
the first placed is the strongest and it has been me".
Problems for Lance: "I suffered from diarrhea at the Dauphiné Liberé, which together with a crash
and the tough opposition of Iban Mayo conspired to weaken him. I should have attacked Ullrich at
Alpe D'Huez, but my reference was Beloki and I lost the opportunity to open 3 to 4 minutes from the
German. After that I suffered a lot at the Plateau de Bonascre. That day I rode with the group and
was riding like everybody else, that's why I wasn't attacked, everyone was at their limit and at the
end I felt relieved. My worst moment was at the Cap Decouverte time trial when Ullrich took 1.36. It
was a very hot day, with more than 40 degrees and the speeds were high, I wasn't feeling well and I
tried to lose the least amount of time possible. I was a very bad day.