General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

grapes in savory dishes

Started by Mia · · Last activity · 9 posts · 875 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
8 January 2004
Last activity
8 January 2004
Original author
Mia
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
875
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. hi group

    I have a carton of red seedless grapes that I want to use in a savory dish to complement seared duck
    breast. I found some recipes for grape chutneys, including one that used tomatoes -- I'm not sure
    about it tho. does anyone have recommendations for ingredients to use in a grape chutney? I'd also
    appreciate any non-salad ideas you have for savory grape recipes that would fit well with a duck
    breast. I searched the net but came up with mostly versions of duck stuffed with grapes, recipes
    that didn't quite appeal to me, and many instances of a common joke about a duck that begins..."...
    A duck walks into a bar and goes up to the bartender. The bartender says "What can I get you?" Duck:
    Umm. Do you have any grapes?" ... 🙂

    thank you in advance, Mia

  2. "Mia" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...
    : hi group
    :
    : I have a carton of red seedless grapes that I want to use in a
    savory dish
    : to complement seared duck breast. I found some recipes for
    grape chutneys,
    : including one that used tomatoes -- I'm not sure about it tho.
    does anyone
    : have recommendations for ingredients to use in a grape chutney?
    I'd also
    : appreciate any non-salad ideas you have for savory grape
    recipes that would
    : fit well with a duck breast. I searched the net but came up
    with mostly
    : versions of duck stuffed with grapes, recipes that didn't quite
    appeal to
    : me, and many instances of a common joke about a duck that
    begins..."... A
    : duck walks into a bar and goes up to the bartender. The
    bartender says "What
    : can I get you?" Duck: Umm. Do you have any grapes?" ... 🙂
    :
    : thank you in advance, Mia
    :
    : =======

    I put grapes in when I'm cooking rabbit... but that doesn't help you this time. Sorry. I have
    recipes for Grape Pie too... but again, no help.

    Maybe if you used a chutney recipe that called for raisins and simply substitute the grapes? A Cranberry-
    Apple Chutney made with grapes would probably be pretty good.

    Cran-Apple Chutney

    12 oz bag Cranberries 1 c sugar 1 c orange juice 1 apple, peeled & cubed
    1/2 c raisins Pinch of Cinnamon & Cloves

    Place all ingredients in a large non-reactive saucepan (3 qt is fine). Bring to a boil, stirring to
    dissolve sugar. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 20 minutes, or until berries have burst.

    Spoon into 4 half-pint or 2 pint jars. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks.

    This is great in lieu of jam or jelly on bread!

    Does that help Mia?

    Cyndi

  3. Mia said:

    hi group

    I have a carton of red seedless grapes that I want to use in a savory dish to complement seared
    duck breast. I found some recipes for grape chutneys, including one that used tomatoes -- I'm not
    sure about it tho. does anyone have recommendations for ingredients to use in a grape chutney? I'd
    also appreciate any non-salad ideas you have for savory grape recipes that would fit well with a
    duck breast. I searched the net but came up with mostly versions of duck stuffed with grapes,
    recipes that didn't quite appeal to me, and many instances of a common joke about a duck that
    begins..."... A duck walks into a bar and goes up to the bartender. The bartender says "What can I
    get you?" Duck: Umm. Do you have any grapes?" ... 🙂

    thank you in advance, Mia


    This one sounds good: (Food TV's site had a couple too)
    savoirfaire.ca2 recipe 1.1.html Frank

  4. "Mia" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    hi group

    I have a carton of red seedless grapes that I want to use in a savory dish to complement seared
    duck breast. I found some recipes for grape chutneys, including one that used tomatoes -- I'm not
    sure about it tho. does anyone have recommendations for ingredients to use in a grape chutney? I'd
    also appreciate any non-salad ideas you have for savory grape recipes that


    would

    Quoted message said:

    fit well with a duck breast. I searched the net but came up with mostly versions of duck stuffed
    with grapes, recipes that didn't quite appeal to me, and many instances of a common joke about a
    duck that begins..."... A duck walks into a bar and goes up to the bartender. The bartender says


    "What

    Quoted message said:

    can I get you?" Duck: Umm. Do you have any grapes?" ... 🙂

    thank you in advance, Mia

    hello! Thank you, these are both good ideas. I have two more questions then:
    1) For the chutney, do you think adding some spice (hot, like a diced chile) would work? and
    2) I don't have champagne, but i have prosecco. Could I substitute?

    mia

  5. "Mia" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    hi group

    I have a carton of red seedless grapes that I want to use in a savory dish to complement seared
    duck breast. I found some recipes for grape chutneys, including one that used tomatoes -- I'm not
    sure about it tho. does anyone have recommendations for ingredients to use in a grape chutney? I'd
    also appreciate any non-salad ideas you have for savory grape recipes that


    would

    Quoted message said:

    fit well with a duck breast. I searched the net but came up with mostly versions of duck stuffed
    with grapes, recipes that didn't quite appeal to me, and many instances of a common joke about a
    duck that begins..."... A duck walks into a bar and goes up to the bartender. The bartender says


    "What

    Quoted message said:

    can I get you?" Duck: Umm. Do you have any grapes?" ... 🙂

    thank you in advance, Mia

    Traditionally the word "verionique" is used to describe dishes cookes with grapes. Usually green
    seedless grapes.

    Here is one example.

    Title: FILETS DE SOLE VERONIQUE (SOLE WITH GREEN GRAPES) Categories: Main dish, White wine Yield:
    8 servings

    2 tb Finely chopped shallots 1 ts Salt 1 c Dry white wine 1 cn Seedless green grapes(16oz) 2
    tb Flour 2 tb Butter or margarine 2 lb Sole fillets,fresh or frozen
    1/4 ts Ground pepper 1 tb Lemon juice 2 tb Butter or margarine
    2/2 c Whipping cream

    Sprinkle shallots in 10-inch skillet (use pyrosyran, non-stick finish, enamel or stainless (not
    aluminum)). Sprinkle fillets with salt and pepper. Fold in half; arrange in skillet. Add wine,
    lemon juice and reserved grape liquid. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until
    fillets flake easily, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove fillets with slotted spatula to ovenproof platter.
    Keep warm while preparing sauce. Add grapes to liquid in skillet. Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
    Simmer uncovered 3 minutes. Remove grapes with slotted spoon. Heat liquid in skillet to boiling;
    boil until reduced to 1 cup. Melt 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour. Stir flour mixture, a
    small amount at a time, into reduced liquid. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until
    thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in cream. Heat to boiling. Add 2 tablespoons butter; stir until
    melted. Drain excess liquid from platter if necessary. Spoon sauce over fillets. Set oven
    control to broil and/or 550'. Broil fillets just until sauce is glazed, about 3 minutes. Garnish
    with grapes.

    There is no reason why you have to "make" something with the grapes first. See above:

    Dimitri

  6. Quoted message said:

    I have a carton of red seedless grapes that I want to use in a savory dish to complement seared
    duck breast. I found some recipes for grape chutneys, including one that used tomatoes -- I'm not
    sure about it tho. does anyone have recommendations for ingredients to use in a grape chutney?

    Not exactly a chutney, but a while back someone posted a "recipe" for a grape coulis-- whiz red
    grapes in the blender; throw in some jalapeno and cilantro.

    Sounds to me like that would go great with duck.

    Jen San Francisco

  7. "Frank Mancuso" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Mia said:

    hi group

    I have a carton of red seedless grapes that I want to use in a savory


    dish

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    to complement seared duck breast. I found some recipes for grape


    chutneys,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    including one that used tomatoes -- I'm not sure about it tho. does


    anyone

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    have recommendations for ingredients to use in a grape chutney? I'd also appreciate any non-
    salad ideas you have for savory grape recipes that


    would

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    fit well with a duck breast. I searched the net but came up with mostly versions of duck stuffed
    with grapes, recipes that didn't quite appeal


    to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    me, and many instances of a common joke about a duck that begins..."...


    A

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    duck walks into a bar and goes up to the bartender. The bartender says


    "What

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    can I get you?" Duck: Umm. Do you have any grapes?" ... 🙂

    thank you in advance, Mia


    This one sounds good: (Food TV's site had a couple too)
    savoirfaire.ca2 recipe 1.1.html Frank

    hi again Frank -- did you try out this recipe? It seemscomplicated, with the double-boiler and all.
    I'm also not sure I want to sit around and peel grapes all evening. 🙂 I wonder if there's a way to
    simplify it?

    Mia

  8. "Mia" wrote

    : > hi group
    : >
    : > I have a carton of red seedless grapes that I want to use in
    a savory dish
    : > to complement seared duck breast.

    <snip>

    : hello! Thank you, these are both good ideas. I have two more questions
    then:
    : 1) For the chutney, do you think adding some spice (hot, like a
    diced chile)
    : would work? and
    : 2) I don't have champagne, but i have prosecco. Could I
    substitute?
    :
    : mia
    : =====

    Hi Mia,

    It probably would... I haven't tried it that way though. Perhaps, while you're making it you could
    'jar' half of it with and the other half without the chile.

    Let me know what you do and how it turns out.

    Cyndi

  9. "Dimitri" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "Mia" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    hi group

    I have a carton of red seedless grapes that I want to use in a savory dish to complement seared
    duck breast. I found some recipes for grape chutneys, including one that used tomatoes -- I'm
    not sure about it tho. does anyone have recommendations for ingredients to use in a grape
    chutney? I'd also appreciate any non-salad ideas you have for savory grape recipes that


    would

    Quoted message said:

    fit well with a duck breast. I searched the net but came up with mostly versions of duck stuffed
    with grapes, recipes that didn't quite appeal to me, and many instances of a common joke about a
    duck that begins..."... A duck walks into a bar and goes up to the bartender. The bartender says


    "What

    Quoted message said:

    can I get you?" Duck: Umm. Do you have any grapes?" ... 🙂

    thank you in advance, Mia

    Traditionally the word "verionique" is used to describe dishes cookes with grapes. Usually green
    seedless grapes.

    Here is one example.

    If I remember right, Jmaes McNair in his Chicken cookbook has a chicken with red grapes dish. I
    don't remember if he called it chicken veronique, but he did mention chicken veronique, and that
    it is traditionally made with green grapes. I think he claimed to like the version with red
    grapes better.

    -bwg

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.