Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Grease for bike

Started by Artoi · · Last activity · 66 posts · 3,045 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
13 November 2006
Last activity
15 December 2006
Original author
Artoi
Posts
66
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,045
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 66
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Like many things for bicycles, grease is just as ridiculously over
    priced. A small tube can go up to $18, just crazy.

    So I am wondering if there's anything negative for using tubs of grease
    sold by automotive shops. For $3 less, I can get a small tub of high
    quality Li based grease with PTFE added. I am wondering if there's
    anything negative for using this on my bike than those from the LBS?

    Of course I'll avoid using this stuff on any carbon parts. But for those
    alloy parts and interfaces, can I use this stuff safely?
    --

  2. Artoi said:

    Like many things for bicycles, grease is just as ridiculously over
    priced. A small tube can go up to $18, just crazy.

    So I am wondering if there's anything negative for using tubs of grease
    sold by automotive shops. For $3 less, I can get a small tub of high
    quality Li based grease with PTFE added. I am wondering if there's
    anything negative for using this on my bike than those from the LBS?

    Only from the LBS's point of view. ;-)

    Quoted message said:

    Of course I'll avoid using this stuff on any carbon parts. But for those
    alloy parts and interfaces, can I use this stuff safely?

    "Designer" bicycle grease is just another way that avaricious
    marketeers take advantage of the gullible. Grease is a commodity
    product.

  3. Artoi said:

    So I am wondering if there's anything negative for using tubs of grease
    sold by automotive shops. For $3 less, I can get a small tub of high
    quality Li based grease with PTFE added. I am wondering if there's
    anything negative for using this on my bike than those from the LBS?

    No.

    Quoted message said:

    Of course I'll avoid using this stuff on any carbon parts. But for those
    alloy parts and interfaces, can I use this stuff safely?

    Yes.
    --
    JT
    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  4. "Artoi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Like many things for bicycles, grease is just as ridiculously over
    priced. A small tube can go up to $18, just crazy.

    So I am wondering if there's anything negative for using tubs of grease
    sold by automotive shops. For $3 less, I can get a small tub of high
    quality Li based grease with PTFE added. I am wondering if there's
    anything negative for using this on my bike than those from the LBS?

    Of course I'll avoid using this stuff on any carbon parts. But for those
    alloy parts and interfaces, can I use this stuff safely?
    --

    No no really obvious reasonsthat I know of.
    I like to use Marine Boat trailer grease myself. it is more water-resistant.
    I have used some Harley Davidson Brand Wheel bearing grease too.
    I also have a tub of silicon grease for those special needs as well.
    I have a tube of Park Grease, but I haven't punched a hole in the nozzle
    yet.

  5. The only places on a bike which require greasing and where I don't use
    ordinary auto grease are a) the freehub mechanism on Hugi hubs, and b) S&S
    couplings. Ordinary grease seems to work fine elsewhere. I have some
    Campagnolo pedals that I have been using for over 30 years, with servicing
    every couple of years, and the bearings still feel pretty much as they did
    when new.

    Nick

    "Artoi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Like many things for bicycles, grease is just as ridiculously over
    priced. A small tube can go up to $18, just crazy.

    So I am wondering if there's anything negative for using tubs of grease
    sold by automotive shops. For $3 less, I can get a small tub of high
    quality Li based grease with PTFE added. I am wondering if there's
    anything negative for using this on my bike than those from the LBS?

    Of course I'll avoid using this stuff on any carbon parts. But for those
    alloy parts and interfaces, can I use this stuff safely?
    --

  6. Artoi said:

    Like many things for bicycles, grease is just as ridiculously over
    priced. A small tube can go up to $18, just crazy.

    So I am wondering if there's anything negative for using tubs of grease
    sold by automotive shops. For $3 less, I can get a small tub of high
    quality Li based grease with PTFE added. I am wondering if there's
    anything negative for using this on my bike than those from the LBS?

    Of course I'll avoid using this stuff on any carbon parts. But for those
    alloy parts and interfaces, can I use this stuff safely?

    Sure, once again, grease is 'oil in soap' and any grease is just fine,
    even stuff made for autos.

    Quoted message said:

    --

  7. Artoi said:

    Like many things for bicycles, grease is just as ridiculously over
    priced. A small tube can go up to $18, just crazy.

    So I am wondering if there's anything negative for using tubs of grease
    sold by automotive shops. For $3 less, I can get a small tub of high
    quality Li based grease with PTFE added. I am wondering if there's
    anything negative for using this on my bike than those from the LBS?

    Of course I'll avoid using this stuff on any carbon parts. But for those
    alloy parts and interfaces, can I use this stuff safely?
    --


    yes, it's safe. look into boat bearing grease if you ride in the wet.
    it's also good if you have a non-cartridge headset - one of the
    components [calcium sulfonate] is supposed to be good against false
    brinelling.

  8. Earl Bollinger said:

    "Artoi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Like many things for bicycles, grease is just as ridiculously over
    priced. A small tube can go up to $18, just crazy.

    So I am wondering if there's anything negative for using tubs of grease
    sold by automotive shops. For $3 less, I can get a small tub of high
    quality Li based grease with PTFE added. I am wondering if there's
    anything negative for using this on my bike than those from the LBS?

    Of course I'll avoid using this stuff on any carbon parts. But for those
    alloy parts and interfaces, can I use this stuff safely?
    --

    No no really obvious reasonsthat I know of.
    I like to use Marine Boat trailer grease myself. it is more water-resistant.
    I have used some Harley Davidson Brand Wheel bearing grease too.
    I also have a tub of silicon grease

    <pedantry warning>
    siliCON is a hard crystalline semi-metal.
    siliCA is a hard crystalline oxide used in glass and abrasives.
    siliCONE is a chemical polymer that can be used as a basis for oils,
    greases and elastomers [among other things].

    Quoted message said:

    for those special needs as well.
    I have a tube of Park Grease, but I haven't punched a hole in the nozzle
    yet.

  9. Artoi said:

    Like many things for bicycles, grease is just as ridiculously over
    priced. A small tube can go up to $18, just crazy.

    So I am wondering if there's anything negative for using tubs of grease
    sold by automotive shops. For $3 less, I can get a small tub of high
    quality Li based grease with PTFE added. I am wondering if there's
    anything negative for using this on my bike than those from the LBS?

    Of course I'll avoid using this stuff on any carbon parts. But for those
    alloy parts and interfaces, can I use this stuff safely?
    --

    The only possible negative I can think of is increased drag if the
    grease you are using is more viscous. For most of us this is not an
    issue.

    Steve Sauter

  10. Artoi said:

    Like many things for bicycles, grease is just as ridiculously over
    priced. A small tube can go up to $18, just crazy.

    So I am wondering if there's anything negative for using tubs of grease
    sold by automotive shops. For $3 less, I can get a small tub of high
    quality Li based grease with PTFE added. I am wondering if there's
    anything negative for using this on my bike than those from the LBS?

    Of course I'll avoid using this stuff on any carbon parts. But for those
    alloy parts and interfaces, can I use this stuff safely?
    --


    I like Pennzoil white grease:

    http://biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=407051282053&d=single&c=Lubricants-Cleaners&sc=Grease-Bearing&tc=Pennzoil&item_id=PZ-705

    At $5 per 1lb tub, its reasonably priced and very similar to Campy
    grease.

    Then again, if you really have to get Campy grease, be prepared to pay:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=017&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=270050021769&rd=1&rd=1

  11. Artoi said:

    Like many things for bicycles, grease is just as ridiculously over
    priced. A small tube can go up to $18, just crazy.

    So I am wondering if there's anything negative for using tubs of grease
    sold by automotive shops. For $3 less, I can get a small tub of high
    quality Li based grease with PTFE added. I am wondering if there's
    anything negative for using this on my bike than those from the LBS?

    Of course I'll avoid using this stuff on any carbon parts. But for those
    alloy parts and interfaces, can I use this stuff safely?

    Any automotive grease is fine. For the best water resistance, use marine
    grease or boat trailer wheel bearing grease.

    The only place you have to be careful with the type of grease is in Hugi
    or King hubs, which may require grease of a certain consistency to
    function properly.

    Matt O.

  12. bfd said:
    Artoi said:

    Like many things for bicycles, grease is just as ridiculously over
    priced. A small tube can go up to $18, just crazy.

    So I am wondering if there's anything negative for using tubs of grease
    sold by automotive shops. For $3 less, I can get a small tub of high
    quality Li based grease with PTFE added. I am wondering if there's
    anything negative for using this on my bike than those from the LBS?

    Of course I'll avoid using this stuff on any carbon parts. But for those
    alloy parts and interfaces, can I use this stuff safely?
    --


    I like Pennzoil white grease:

    http://biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=407051282053&d=single&c=Lubricants-Cleaners&sc=Grease-Bearing&tc=Pennzoil&item_id=PZ-705

    At $5 per 1lb tub, its reasonably priced and very similar to Campy
    grease.

    Then again, if you really have to get Campy grease, be prepared to pay:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=017&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=270050021769&rd=1&rd=1

    Three figures for a used, open tub of grease!!! eBay, the idiot's
    playground. Ya gotta love it.

  13. Ozark Bicycle said:
    bfd said:
    Artoi said:

    Like many things for bicycles, grease is just as ridiculously over
    priced. A small tube can go up to $18, just crazy.

    So I am wondering if there's anything negative for using tubs of grease
    sold by automotive shops. For $3 less, I can get a small tub of high
    quality Li based grease with PTFE added. I am wondering if there's
    anything negative for using this on my bike than those from the LBS?

    Of course I'll avoid using this stuff on any carbon parts. But for those
    alloy parts and interfaces, can I use this stuff safely?
    --


    I like Pennzoil white grease:

    http://biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=407051282053&d=single&c=Lubricants-Cleaners&sc=Grease-Bearing&tc=Pennzoil&item_id=PZ-705

    At $5 per 1lb tub, its reasonably priced and very similar to Campy
    grease.

    Then again, if you really have to get Campy grease, be prepared to pay:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=017&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=270050021769&rd=1&rd=1

    Three figures for a used, open tub of grease!!! eBay, the idiot's
    playground. Ya gotta love it.

    Yeah, I actually have a couple of 1/2 used Campy grease container that
    is smaller than the one that sold. Nevertheless, if I got say $50
    each.....

  14. In article
    <[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    ,


    Artoi said:

    Like many things for bicycles, grease is just as ridiculously over
    priced. A small tube can go up to $18, just crazy.

    So I am wondering if there's anything negative for using tubs of grease
    sold by automotive shops. For $3 less, I can get a small tub of high
    quality Li based grease with PTFE added. I am wondering if there's
    anything negative for using this on my bike than those from the LBS?

    Of course I'll avoid using this stuff on any carbon parts. But for those
    alloy parts and interfaces, can I use this stuff safely?

    Auto parts store grease is great stuff. Use it without
    reservation. Get marine grease if you can.

    --
    Michael Press

  15. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Michael Press said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    ,


    Artoi said:

    Like many things for bicycles, grease is just as ridiculously over
    priced. A small tube can go up to $18, just crazy.

    So I am wondering if there's anything negative for using tubs of grease
    sold by automotive shops. For $3 less, I can get a small tub of high
    quality Li based grease with PTFE added. I am wondering if there's
    anything negative for using this on my bike than those from the LBS?

    Of course I'll avoid using this stuff on any carbon parts. But for those
    alloy parts and interfaces, can I use this stuff safely?

    Auto parts store grease is great stuff. Use it without
    reservation. Get marine grease if you can.

    Thanks to all who has chipped in with confirmatory opinion. That $18
    grease tube sure sounded like the biggest con job on the planet. Glad I
    didn't fall for it. The $15 Nulon Xtreme Performance with PTFE L80
    grease is probably also a bit of a con within the automotive circle, but
    it's a bargain for the quantity I got in comparison with those "bike
    specific" grease.

    I note the various comments on Hugi hubs and its need for special
    grease. How about Mavic wheel/hubs? And how about BB bearing use eg.
    Campag?
    --

  16. In article <[email hidden]>,

    steve said:
    Artoi said:

    Like many things for bicycles, grease is just as ridiculously over
    priced. A small tube can go up to $18, just crazy.

    So I am wondering if there's anything negative for using tubs of grease
    sold by automotive shops. For $3 less, I can get a small tub of high
    quality Li based grease with PTFE added. I am wondering if there's
    anything negative for using this on my bike than those from the LBS?

    Of course I'll avoid using this stuff on any carbon parts. But for those
    alloy parts and interfaces, can I use this stuff safely?
    --

    The only possible negative I can think of is increased drag if the
    grease you are using is more viscous. For most of us this is not an
    issue.

    Yes, I have considered that. But I can't seem to find any info on the
    viscosity spec of the various commercial grease. If so, a simple match
    would solve the problem.
    --

  17. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Ozark Bicycle said:

    "Designer" bicycle grease is just another way that avaricious
    marketeers take advantage of the gullible. Grease is a commodity
    product.

    Looking at Finish Line's teflon grease, they say that being synthetic,
    it's less likely to wash out by water compared with Li based grease. Is
    there any truth in that?
    --

  18. Artoi said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Ozark Bicycle said:

    "Designer" bicycle grease is just another way that avaricious
    marketeers take advantage of the gullible. Grease is a commodity
    product.

    Looking at Finish Line's teflon grease, they say that being synthetic,
    it's less likely to wash out by water compared with Li based grease. Is
    there any truth in that?

    I've used Finish Line's stuff. IME, commodity priced marine grease (I
    use Super Tech) is at least as resistant to washout (probably more
    resistant, AAMOF).

  19. Matt O'Toole said:

    The only place you have to be careful with the type of grease is in Hugi
    or King hubs, which may require grease of a certain consistency to
    function properly.

    From what I've heard, there is no grease which can be relied upon to
    keep a Hugi from cratering.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  20. In article
    <[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    ,


    Artoi said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Ozark Bicycle said:

    "Designer" bicycle grease is just another way that avaricious
    marketeers take advantage of the gullible. Grease is a commodity
    product.

    Looking at Finish Line's teflon grease, they say that being synthetic,
    it's less likely to wash out by water compared with Li based grease. Is
    there any truth in that?

    Do not know. I know that Li grease is more water
    resistant than standard grease.

    --
    Michael Press

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.