Road Cycling · Public discussion

Grinding Coffee While on a Bicycle Tour

Started by SMS · · Last activity · 22 posts · 1,295 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
23 May 2008
Last activity
3 June 2008
Original author
SMS
Posts
22
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,295
Views / 30 days
9

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 22
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. As coffee aficionados know, coffee beans need to be ground just before
    brewing in order to get the best flavor and the most anti-oxidants. On
    bicycle camping tours (and camping in areas with no electricity), it's
    difficult to haver freshly ground coffee, and lack of fresh coffee can
    seriously affect your riding. The small hand grinders sold by REI and
    Campmor are fairly worthless, as they are extremely slow.

    I realized that my 12 volt lighting system battery was just looking for
    another reason to be taken along on tours (I only use it for lighting on
    the commute bike). It doesn't take much power to run a 12 volt grinder,
    so being able to recharge the battery isn't a concern unless it's a very
    long trip.

    I added a photo of my setup to the Bicycle Coffee Systems sub-page on
    Brewing and Grinding.

    See "http://nordicgroup.us/bikecoff/brewgrind.html" or go straight to
    the photo at "http://nordicgroup.us/bikecoff/bcimages/batterygrinder.JPG".

    It could be made smaller in bulk by getting rid of the cigarette lighter
    plug and jack, and shortening the power cord on the grinder.

    Just don't use this set-up on a cattle drive....
    "

  2. yeah, muddy waters don't get no grinding... but this fella does:

    Whatcha need to do is to modify his idea such that the kit bolts off &
    on... 'cause you wanna grind it and go. Maybe just a big honking
    double kick stand to lift the rear tire off the ground (remember the
    old ones that attached at the axle - kinda a big square C shaped metal
    strap?) and you would want to pedal backwards while grinding so that
    the crank and all the drive train bits worked in the same direction
    whilst riding and grinding both... then maybe you would want a
    friction coupling rather than his chain drive to facilitate the
    bolting off & on in order to user the same basic frame for riding and
    grinding, maybe a flat belt all the way around the rear tire? Geeze
    Lousie, I guess I'd rather just drink muddy water and call it coffee,
    BYMMV.

  3. SMS said:

    As coffee aficionados know, coffee beans need to be ground just before
    brewing in order to get the best flavor and the most anti-oxidants.

    While I appreciate ingenuity and over engineering--coffee is best
    ground by a commercial burr mill that does not oxidize the flavenoids
    by heat the way that a crappy home blade grinder does. Also, the
    coffee will be even better a day or so after you grind, as it "gasses
    off". Stored tightly sealed in the freezer, commercially ground coffee
    stays quite flavorful--much more so than home ground with an inferior
    grinder, for a good month or so. I find that the German burr ginders
    at Costco are the best in the industry--and their house French roast
    from Costa Rican bean at the fair price with a good grind is as great
    of a value in a cup of coffee as I've had anywhere in the world.

    So for travel--better time is invested in going to your local pan-
    Asian cookware shop and finding a good air tight coffee grounds
    storage container with a cute Engrish phrase on it, or perhaps even
    frogs and ducks!

  4. SMS said:

    As coffee aficionados know, coffee beans need to be ground just before
    brewing in order to get the best flavor and the most anti-oxidants. On
    bicycle camping tours (and camping in areas with no electricity), it's
    difficult to haver freshly ground coffee, and lack of fresh coffee can
    seriously affect your riding.

    Wait, what?

    If I don't have coffee, I won't enjoy riding? For whom are you trying
    to speak here?
    --
    Paul M. Hobson
    ..:change the f to ph to reply:.

  5. Paul M. Hobson said:
    SMS said:

    As coffee aficionados know, coffee beans need to be ground just before
    brewing in order to get the best flavor and the most anti-oxidants. On
    bicycle camping tours (and camping in areas with no electricity), it's
    difficult to haver freshly ground coffee, and lack of fresh coffee can
    seriously affect your riding.

    Wait, what?

    If I don't have coffee, I won't enjoy riding? For whom are you trying
    to speak here?

    Everyone. People may legitimately argue about aluminum versus steel
    versus titanium versus carbon fiber. Cyclists may differ on the
    benefits of compact versus standard geometry. Riders may disagree on the
    level of protection a helmet provides in a crash. But everyone agrees
    that coffee is good food, and that it enhances performances and is good
    for your health.

  6. Paul M. Hobson said:
    SMS said:

    As coffee aficionados know, coffee beans need to be ground just before
    brewing in order to get the best flavor and the most anti-oxidants. On
    bicycle camping tours (and camping in areas with no electricity), it's
    difficult to haver freshly ground coffee, and lack of fresh coffee can
    seriously affect your riding.

    Wait, what?

    If I don't have coffee, I won't enjoy riding? For whom are you trying
    to speak here?

    Yes, Paul. I think he is suggesting that you might as well stay home. =]

  7. "SMS" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    On bicycle camping tours (and camping in areas with no electricity), it's
    difficult to haver freshly ground coffee, and lack of fresh coffee can
    seriously affect your riding.

    You're kidding, right?

  8. "SMS" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Paul M. Hobson said:
    SMS said:

    As coffee aficionados know, coffee beans need to be ground just before
    brewing in order to get the best flavor and the most anti-oxidants. On
    bicycle camping tours (and camping in areas with no electricity), it's
    difficult to haver freshly ground coffee, and lack of fresh coffee can
    seriously affect your riding.

    Wait, what?

    If I don't have coffee, I won't enjoy riding? For whom are you trying to
    speak here?

    Everyone. People may legitimately argue about aluminum versus steel versus
    titanium versus carbon fiber. Cyclists may differ on the benefits of
    compact versus standard geometry. Riders may disagree on the level of
    protection a helmet provides in a crash. But everyone agrees that coffee
    is good food, and that it enhances performances and is good for your
    health.

    You could at least put a smiley in there....

  9. Roger Zoul said:

    "SMS" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Paul M. Hobson said:

    SMS wrote:
    > As coffee aficionados know, coffee beans need to be ground just before
    > brewing in order to get the best flavor and the most anti-oxidants. On
    > bicycle camping tours (and camping in areas with no electricity), it's
    > difficult to haver freshly ground coffee, and lack of fresh coffee can
    > seriously affect your riding.
    Wait, what?

    If I don't have coffee, I won't enjoy riding? For whom are you trying to
    speak here?


    Everyone. People may legitimately argue about aluminum versus steel versus
    titanium versus carbon fiber. Cyclists may differ on the benefits of
    compact versus standard geometry. Riders may disagree on the level of
    protection a helmet provides in a crash. But everyone agrees that coffee
    is good food, and that it enhances performances and is good for your
    health.

    You could at least put a smiley in there....

    If I was kidding, I would have done exactly that.

  10. SMS said:

    As coffee aficionados know, coffee beans need to be ground just before
    brewing in order to get the best flavor and the most anti-oxidants. On
    bicycle camping tours (and camping in areas with no electricity), it's
    difficult to haver freshly ground coffee, and lack of fresh coffee can
    seriously affect your riding. The small hand grinders sold by REI and
    Campmor are fairly worthless, as  they are extremely slow.

    I realized that my 12 volt lighting system battery was just looking for
    another reason to be taken along on tours (I only use it for lighting on
    the commute bike). It doesn't take much power to run a 12 volt grinder,
    so being able to recharge the battery isn't a concern unless it's a very
    long trip.

    I added a photo of my setup to the Bicycle Coffee Systems sub-page on
    Brewing and Grinding.

    See "http://nordicgroup.us/bikecoff/brewgrind.html" or go straight to
    the photo at "http://nordicgroup.us/bikecoff/bcimages/batterygrinder.JPG".

    It could be made smaller in bulk by getting rid of the cigarette lighter
    plug and jack, and shortening the power cord on the grinder.

    Just don't use this set-up on a cattle drive....
    "

    ]

    Kudos for solving a problem that few even knew existed but until or
    unless you design a practical on-the-bike espresso maker I guess I'll
    have to avoid bike camping tours.

    Regards,
    Bob Hunt

  11. On May 23, 3:18 pm, SMS <[email hidden]> wrote:
    .. I

    Quoted message said:

    guess if you buy beans at a coffee store, and have them grind them and
    then store them in the airtight container it'd be fine too.

    I buy beans and grind with the marvelous German grinders at Costco and
    store the grounds in my freezer. As long as the grounds are sealed
    tight, the flavor depends more on preparation. I usually grind between
    melitta and drip so I can use the grounds for my mocha machines,
    Vietnamese maker, ceramic Melitta, and even flat filter machine.

    I'd put your 12v energies to something more useful to society like
    powering a Hitachi magic wand!.Bzzzzz wooo wooo!

  12. In article <[email hidden]>,

    SMS said:

    As coffee aficionados know, coffee beans need to be ground just before
    brewing in order to get the best flavor and the most anti-oxidants. On
    bicycle camping tours (and camping in areas with no electricity), it's
    difficult to haver freshly ground coffee, and lack of fresh coffee can
    seriously affect your riding. The small hand grinders sold by REI and
    Campmor are fairly worthless, as they are extremely slow.

    I realized that my 12 volt lighting system battery was just looking for
    another reason to be taken along on tours (I only use it for lighting on
    the commute bike). It doesn't take much power to run a 12 volt grinder,
    so being able to recharge the battery isn't a concern unless it's a very
    long trip.

    I added a photo of my setup to the Bicycle Coffee Systems sub-page on
    Brewing and Grinding.

    See "http://nordicgroup.us/bikecoff/brewgrind.html" or go straight to
    the photo at "http://nordicgroup.us/bikecoff/bcimages/batterygrinder.JPG".

    It could be made smaller in bulk by getting rid of the cigarette lighter
    plug and jack, and shortening the power cord on the grinder.

    Just don't use this set-up on a cattle drive....
    "

    ]

    Check out asian grocery/kitchen stuff stores, you might be able to find
    a small lightweight mortar and pestle. Or a mexican grocery maybe.

    --
    This signature can be appended to your outgoing mesages. Many people include in
    their signatures contact information, and perhaps a joke or quotation.

  13. On Fri, 23 May 2008 10:20:20 -0700, SMS <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    See "http://nordicgroup.us/bikecoff/brewgrind.html" or go straight to
    the photo at "http://nordicgroup.us/bikecoff/bcimages/batterygrinder.JPG".

    It could be made smaller in bulk by getting rid of the cigarette lighter
    plug and jack, and shortening the power cord on the grinder.

    Get a Turkish coffee mill that's tried and tested by nomadic drinkers
    of fine coffees.

    http://www.espressozone.com/z-175m.html

    Leave the batteries at home.
    --
    zk

  14. Bob said:
    Quoted message said:


    Kudos for solving a problem that few even knew existed but until or
    unless you design a practical on-the-bike espresso maker I guess I'll
    have to avoid bike camping tours.

    Regards,
    Bob Hunt

    Considering what some people pay for their bikes, they could arrange to
    camp near a $tarbuck$. Personally, I love coffee, but don't drink it on
    rides. Living in the southwest US, I am usually needing to drink more
    water and prefer it to be cool.

  15. SMS said:
    landotter said:
    SMS said:

    As coffee aficionados know, coffee beans need to be ground just before
    brewing in order to get the best flavor and the most anti-oxidants.

    While I appreciate ingenuity and over engineering--coffee is best
    ground by a commercial burr mill that does not oxidize the flavenoids
    by heat the way that a crappy home blade grinder does.

    Yeah, I knew someone would bring up blade grinding. You're right of
    course, but AFAIK, there are no 12V burr grinders. I burr grind at home
    of course.

    Quoted message said:

    Also, the
    coffee will be even better a day or so after you grind, as it "gasses
    off".

    I find that it's awful after one day.

    Quoted message said:

    S tored tightly sealed in the freezer, commercially ground coffee
    stays quite flavorful--much more so than home ground with an inferior
    grinder, for a good month or so. I find that the German burr ginders
    at Costco are the best in the industry--and their house French roast
    from Costa Rican bean at the fair price with a good grind is as great
    of a value in a cup of coffee as I've had anywhere in the world.

    Yes, that's what I buy. Are you talking about the grinders for customers
    to use in the store? They sell the Saeco burr grinder at Costco.com for
    $69.99 including S&H which is a pretty good deal.

    Quoted message said:

    So for travel--better time is invested in going to your local pan-
    Asian cookware shop and finding a good air tight coffee grounds
    storage container with a cute Engrish phrase on it, or perhaps even
    frogs and ducks!

    I have one of those containers where you pump the air out of it. Same as
    used on wine bottles. It's a good alternative to grinding on the road. I
    guess if you buy beans at a coffee store, and have them grind them and
    then store them in the airtight container it'd be fine too.

    I think you guys need to move this to alt.yuppie

  16. In article <[email hidden]>, Zoot Katz

    Quoted message said:

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 10:20:20 -0700, SMS <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    See "http://nordicgroup.us/bikecoff/brewgrind.html" or go straight to
    the photo at "http://nordicgroup.us/bikecoff/bcimages/batterygrinder.JPG".

    It could be made smaller in bulk by getting rid of the cigarette lighter
    plug and jack, and shortening the power cord on the grinder.

    Get a Turkish coffee mill that's tried and tested by nomadic drinkers
    of fine coffees.

    http://www.espressozone.com/z-175m.html

    You have to love the global economy: "Made in Germany."

    With "traditional decorative scroll designs."

    Dan

  17. Peter Cole said:
    SMS said:
    landotter said:

    On May 23, 12:20 pm, SMS <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > As coffee aficionados know, coffee beans need to be ground just before
    > brewing in order to get the best flavor and the most anti-oxidants.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    While I appreciate ingenuity and over engineering--coffee is best
    ground by a commercial burr mill that does not oxidize the flavenoids
    by heat the way that a crappy home blade grinder does.

    Quoted message said:

    Yeah, I knew someone would bring up blade grinding. You're right of
    course, but AFAIK, there are no 12V burr grinders. I burr grind at home
    of course.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Also, the
    coffee will be even better a day or so after you grind, as it "gasses
    off".

    Quoted message said:

    I find that it's awful after one day.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    S tored tightly sealed in the freezer, commercially ground coffee
    stays quite flavorful--much more so than home ground with an inferior
    grinder, for a good month or so. I find that the German burr ginders
    at Costco are the best in the industry--and their house French roast
    from Costa Rican bean at the fair price with a good grind is as great
    of a value in a cup of coffee as I've had anywhere in the world.

    Quoted message said:

    Yes, that's what I buy. Are you talking about the grinders for customers
    to use in the store? They sell the Saeco burr grinder at Costco.com for
    $69.99 including S&H which is a pretty good deal.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    So for travel--better time is invested in going to your local pan-
    Asian cookware shop and finding a good air tight coffee grounds
    storage container with a cute Engrish phrase on it, or perhaps even
    frogs and ducks!

    Quoted message said:

    I have one of those containers where you pump the air out of it. Same as
    used on wine bottles. It's a good alternative to grinding on the road. I
    guess if you buy beans at a coffee store, and have them grind them and
    then store them in the airtight container it'd be fine too.

    I think you guys need to moveSha this to alt.yuppie

    shaddup, youse--did you know that if you use one of those 80s lycra
    wheel covers, you can spin dry your arugula in back while staying aero?

  18. Dan Becker said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Zoot Katz

    Quoted message said:

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 10:20:20 -0700, SMS <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    See "http://nordicgroup.us/bikecoff/brewgrind.html" or go straight to
    the photo at "http://nordicgroup.us/bikecoff/bcimages/batterygrinder.JPG".

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    It could be made smaller in bulk by getting rid of the cigarette lighter
    plug and jack, and shortening the power cord on the grinder.

    Quoted message said:

    Get a Turkish coffee mill that's tried and tested by nomadic drinkers
    of fine coffees.

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.espressozone.com/z-175m.html

    You have to love the global economy: "Made in Germany."

    With "traditional decorative scroll designs."

    Dan

    What's strange about the "Made in Germany". There's a huge Turkish
    (immigrant and native-born) population in Germany.

    It's a bit like a lot of our "Chinese" food is produced in Toronto, a
    city with some bilingual English-Chinese street signs.

    John Kane Kingston ON Canada

  19. catzz66 said:
    Bob said:
    Quoted message said:


    Kudos for solving a problem that few even knew existed but until or
    unless you design a practical on-the-bike espresso maker I guess I'll
    have to avoid bike camping tours.

    Regards,
    Bob Hunt

    Considering what some people pay for their bikes, they could arrange to
    camp near a $tarbuck$. Personally, I love coffee, but don't drink it on
    rides. Living in the southwest US, I am usually needing to drink more
    water and prefer it to be cool.

    Iced coffee is great for hot weather rides. You really want to ensure
    that you are getting enough coffee on every ride.

  20. SMS said:
    catzz66 said:
    Bob said:

    >
    Kudos for solving a problem that few even knew existed but until or
    unless you design a practical on-the-bike espresso maker I guess I'll
    have to avoid bike camping tours.

    Regards,
    Bob Hunt

    Considering what some people pay for their bikes, they could arrange
    to camp near a $tarbuck$. Personally, I love coffee, but don't drink
    it on rides. Living in the southwest US, I am usually needing to
    drink more water and prefer it to be cool.

    Iced coffee is great for hot weather rides. You really want to ensure
    that you are getting enough coffee on every ride.

    Truthfully, I get plenty of coffee every day. I just don't want to have
    to ever utter the words grande or venti or tall to get it. =]

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.