Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Grip-shift shifters too difficult to turn

Started by Joël Chappel · · Last activity · 11 posts · 4,054 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
15 June 2004
Last activity
17 June 2004
Original author
Joël Chappel
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
4,054
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello,

    I need an advice...

    My daughter's 20" MTB has Shimano deraillers (TY22...) with Grip-shift
    shifters.

    This works not so bad...

    But even after a serious cleaning/greasing/oiling/tuning, the shifters are
    still too difficult for her. The shifters on brand new kid bicycles in
    stores are much more easy to operate... So something must be wrong with my
    setup on her bike...

    That's of no importance for her ridings in the nearby streets, since she
    won't shift anyway, but during our MTB errands, and for the cyclocamping
    ride we plan for next july, that's a problem.

    Has anybody an idea ?

    That's for casual use, so I wish I don't need to release her whole
    transmission. Anyway, brand new stock kid bicycles use the same kind of
    low-end components.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 10:41:34 +0200, "Joël Chappel"

    may have said:

    Hello,

    I need an advice...

    My daughter's 20" MTB has Shimano deraillers (TY22...) with Grip-shift
    shifters.

    This works not so bad...

    But even after a serious cleaning/greasing/oiling/tuning, the shifters are
    still too difficult for her. The shifters on brand new kid bicycles in
    stores are much more easy to operate... So something must be wrong with my
    setup on her bike...

    My advice: Remove and inspect the cables. It's likely that they are
    either corroded, dirty, or in need of lubrication. Clean, lubricate
    and/or replace them as needed.

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
    Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  3. Quoted message said:

    My advice: Remove and inspect the cables. It's likely that they are
    either corroded, dirty, or in need of lubrication. Clean, lubricate
    and/or replace them as needed.

    Replace them! They're cheap enough not to be of a concern, and you usually
    don't notice what's missing until you've replaced them.

    Gripshifts are notoriously bad about this... rapidfire shifters don't really
    have this problem because the leverage ratio is higher.

    Also check her rear derailleur to make sure it hasn't corroded or rusted
    solid.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  4. Joël Chappel said:

    But even after a serious cleaning/greasing/oiling/tuning, the shifters are
    still too difficult for her. The shifters on brand new kid bicycles in
    stores are much more easy to operate... So something must be wrong with my
    setup on her bike...

    If the gripshifts have ever been "lubed" with any kind of oil-based
    lubricant (especially the spray-on variety) it's likely it's attacked
    the plastic and caused it warp. Grip shifters are VERY simple
    animals, and require almost no maintenance at all - and VERY little
    lubrication.

    Sadly, my very own personal grip shifts finally gave up the ghost on
    this morning's ride... I had a new set on order already, but they
    literally exploded all over the road. All I could do is play with the
    cable to get a workable gear and stay in it for the rest of the ride.
    Can't complain much though - they have to be at least six years old (I
    entirely wore the first set of grips off the things, and am well into
    the second set).

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $695 ti frame

  5. Mark Hickey said:

    Sadly, my very own personal grip shifts finally gave up the ghost on
    this morning's ride...
    Can't complain much though - they have to be at least six years old (I
    entirely wore the first set of grips off the things, and am well into
    the second set).

    Six years doesn't sound like a terribly long life for shifters. What did
    I miss? Do you ride oodles of miles on that bike each year? Are they
    subject to unusually hard wear for some reason?

    --
    Dave
    dvt at psu dot edu

  6. dvt said:
    Mark Hickey said:

    Sadly, my very own personal grip shifts finally gave up the ghost on
    this morning's ride...
    Can't complain much though - they have to be at least six years old
    (I entirely wore the first set of grips off the things, and am well
    into the second set).

    Six years doesn't sound like a terribly long life for shifters. What
    did I miss? Do you ride oodles of miles on that bike each year? Are
    they subject to unusually hard wear for some reason?

    They're plastic, for God's sake!
    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  7. dvt said:
    Mark Hickey said:

    Sadly, my very own personal grip shifts finally gave up the ghost on
    this morning's ride...
    Can't complain much though - they have to be at least six years old (I
    entirely wore the first set of grips off the things, and am well into
    the second set).

    Six years doesn't sound like a terribly long life for shifters. What did
    I miss? Do you ride oodles of miles on that bike each year? Are they
    subject to unusually hard wear for some reason?

    They've lived a very hard life - I certainly have no buyer's remorse
    about the decision to buy 'em. In fact, I just got the replacement
    SRAM gripshifters in this afternoon.

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $695 ti frame

  8. Mark Hickey said:

    They've lived a very hard life - I certainly have no buyer's remorse
    about the decision to buy 'em. In fact, I just got the replacement
    SRAM gripshifters in this afternoon.

    Usually I've been getting about a month on SRAM MRX grip shifters
    before the indexing thingy inside breaks off and they go to friction
    shifters (wedge cut yoghurt container plastic under the shifter to
    induce friction). About one out of four lives longer for some reason,
    and may go for a couple years or more (so about 20k miles). I take it
    there's at least one bad batch out there, and if you avoid it, you're
    okay. I'm hoping it's a newer batch that survives and not an older
    batch, so the problem will go away soon.

    There's nothing really wrong with friction shifters and in some ways
    they're better, but generally it's a relief to go to a working index
    shifter afterwards.

    The current shifter is one of the surviving ones so I'm not down on
    MRX at the moment but that could change.
    --
    Ron Hardin
    [email hidden]

    On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

  9. ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Mark Hickey" <[email hidden]>
    Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
    Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 5:25 AM
    Subject: Re: Grip-shift shifters too difficult to turn

    Quoted message said:
    Joël Chappel said:

    But even after a serious cleaning/greasing/oiling/tuning, the shifters


    are

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    still too difficult for her.

    If the gripshifts have ever been "lubed" with any kind of oil-based
    lubricant (especially the spray-on variety) it's likely it's attacked
    the plastic and caused it warp. Grip shifters are VERY simple
    animals, and require almost no maintenance at all - and VERY little
    lubrication.

    Reading my own message again, I find it definitely not that clear...
    Sorry....

    What I meant was the cables and housings were greased (that was a few months
    ago now) and the deraillers were cleaned and oiled with chain oil.

    But I've never put anything in the shifters themselves yet, because I know
    their inner plastic parts might not appreciate such a treatment.

    Anyway, I was told Grip-Shifts can be "lubed" using those tiny holes at the
    top of them. So I downloaded the SRAM technical manuals for dealers. Here it
    what they say : "
    Use ONLY Grip Shift Jonnisnot Grease for any shifter lubrication."

    Surfing around on the net again, I found that webpage :
    http://www.bikesdirect.com.au/manual.htm#sub4 . Great site for servicing
    tips. There, they say you might use vaseline or lithium based grease as
    well.

    So, I'll change both shift cables on my daughter's bike, and maybe some of
    the housings. I'll lube the cables & shifters with vaseline based grease
    (the same I use for wheel hubs). And we'll see if she's finally able to
    shift easily.

    Thanks to you all for your help.

    Sorry Mark to have emailed you directly... Tired because of job problems ->
    wrong "Answer" option... Better to get some rest before I consider to even
    have a look at that bike.

  10. Ron Hardin said:

    Usually I've been getting about a month on SRAM MRX grip shifters
    before the indexing thingy inside breaks off and they go to friction
    shifters (wedge cut yoghurt container plastic under the shifter to
    induce friction). About one out of four lives longer for some reason,
    and may go for a couple years or more (so about 20k miles).

    You like them so much that you're willing to accept that breakage
    pattern?
    --
    Rick Onanian

  11. Rick Onanian said:


    Ron Hardin said:

    Usually I've been getting about a month on SRAM MRX grip shifters
    before the indexing thingy inside breaks off and they go to friction
    shifters (wedge cut yoghurt container plastic under the shifter to
    induce friction). About one out of four lives longer for some reason,
    and may go for a couple years or more (so about 20k miles).

    You like them so much that you're willing to accept that breakage
    pattern?
    --
    Rick Onanian

    It fits the space on the bars
    --
    Ron Hardin
    [email hidden]

    On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.