Road Cycling · Public discussion

Grip Shifters

Started by Chuck · · Last activity · 28 posts · 1,350 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
27 June 2005
Last activity
30 June 2005
Original author
Chuck
Posts
28
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,350
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–28 of 28
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Chuck" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:Syzwe.11316$gm6.4441@trnddc05...

    Quoted message said:

    On 2005-06-29, di <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    The *old fashioned* thumbshifters? Not the rapidfire type.

    What's the deal with Suntour anyway?

    My last bike had (c.1992) had these funky Suntour index shifters. They were
    "butterfly" type levers, black polycarbonate and made a VERY satisfying
    "clack!" when shifted to each new index.

    FWIW, the bike had drop-style handle bars and these shifters were mounted
    just inboard of the brakes. Easy to shift with your hands resting on the
    litte "cones" above the brake levers or in the drops.

    I read somewhere that Suntour basically died because they couldn't get
    indexed shifting right or they couldn't complete with Shimano's patented
    gear design with the little dents that helped shifting...?

    <shrug>

  2. Chuck said:

    I'm close to taking the 7speed Deore
    thumbshifters off another bike and just using them in friction mode.

    That would work just fine for road use actually, but if you want to throw
    some good money at this problem, you could get some Shimano bar end
    shifters for around $60 or so. Then you have to figure out where to mount
    them. You could either switch to drop bars, or if you're really creative,
    try to find some bar-ends with an inside diameter large enough to
    accomodate the shifters--now that would be slick!

  3. maxo said:
    Chuck said:

    I'm close to taking the 7speed Deore
    thumbshifters off another bike and just using them in friction mode.

    That would work just fine for road use actually, but if you want to throw
    some good money at this problem, you could get some Shimano bar end
    shifters for around $60 or so. Then you have to figure out where to mount
    them. You could either switch to drop bars, or if you're really creative,
    try to find some bar-ends with an inside diameter large enough to
    accomodate the shifters--now that would be slick!


    This bike hardly ever sees the road. 99% of the time it's on a smooth
    dirt trail running 28c tires. If I do sink any money into the bike, I
    think I would go the bar end shifter/drop bar route.

  4. Chuck said:
    maxo said:
    Chuck said:

    I'm close to taking the 7speed Deore
    thumbshifters off another bike and just using them in friction mode.

    That would work just fine for road use actually, but if you want to
    throw some good money at this problem, you could get some Shimano bar
    end shifters for around $60 or so. Then you have to figure out where to
    mount them. You could either switch to drop bars, or if you're really
    creative, try to find some bar-ends with an inside diameter large enough
    to accomodate the shifters--now that would be slick!


    This bike hardly ever sees the road. 99% of the time it's on a smooth dirt
    trail running 28c tires. If I do sink any money into the bike, I think I
    would go the bar end shifter/drop bar route.

    Nashbar's got their wannabe "moustache" bar on sale for fifteen clams,
    it's got a MTB clamp diameter of 25.4mm:

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=92&subcategory=1049&brand=&sku=13586&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

    You'd need to add some road levers and bar end shifters, and you're ready
    to rumble:

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile_moreimages.cfm?category=104&subcategory=1194&sku=12434&brand=
    Spendy shifters though, you might want to try eBay.

    Nashbar levers are on sale for a tenner (they're decent Tektros from what
    I recall:

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=&sku=12401&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

    I'd probably try looking for regular drop bars with a 25.4 clamp diameter,
    but the Nashbar bars could be fun to try, especially for the price.

  5. "Chuck" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:Syzwe.11316$gm6.4441@trnddc05...

    Quoted message said:
    di said:


    "Chuck" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:vuvwe.6477$Iv6.3179@trnddc03...

    Quoted message said:

    >
    > So spending 3 bucks on new covers ain't gonna work for you?
    >
    >:-D
    >
    I'd break down and buy new shifters in a minute if I could find some 9
    speed Deore thumb shifters. I'm close to taking the 7speed Deore
    thumbshifters off another bike and just using them in friction mode.

    As somebody said earlier in the tread, grip shifters suck. I've had so
    many accidental shifts with these things, I can't see putting any more
    money into them than the $.97 friction tape.
    >

    9-speed thumb shifters are available everywhere, are you sure you want a
    fix?


    The *old fashioned* thumbshifters? Not the rapidfire type.

    I thought you wanted 9-speed, were any of the "old fashioned" shifters
    designed for 9-speed? If you indeed want 9-speed, what's wrong with
    rapidfire type?

  6. di said:

    If you indeed want 9-speed, what's wrong with
    rapidfire type

    It's the whole inelegance of the thing imho. Levers>buttons in my personal
    world YMMV :P

  7. di said:


    "Chuck" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:Syzwe.11316$gm6.4441@trnddc05...

    Quoted message said:
    di said:


    "Chuck" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:vuvwe.6477$Iv6.3179@trnddc03...
    >>
    >> So spending 3 bucks on new covers ain't gonna work for you?
    >>
    >>:-D
    >>
    > I'd break down and buy new shifters in a minute if I could find some 9
    > speed Deore thumb shifters. I'm close to taking the 7speed Deore
    > thumbshifters off another bike and just using them in friction mode.
    >
    > As somebody said earlier in the tread, grip shifters suck. I've had so
    > many accidental shifts with these things, I can't see putting any more
    > money into them than the $.97 friction tape.
    >>

    9-speed thumb shifters are available everywhere, are you sure you want a
    fix?


    The *old fashioned* thumbshifters? Not the rapidfire type.

    I thought you wanted 9-speed, were any of the "old fashioned" shifters
    designed for 9-speed? If you indeed want 9-speed, what's wrong with
    rapidfire type?


    I guess nothing is wrong with rapidfire. It's that I'm still [censored] that
    the bicycle industry rammed tham down our throat when the thumb shifters
    were just as good. Heck, for the kind of miles I put in, a 7-speed
    system would be fine. I just needed off the 26" wheels.

  8. "Chuck" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:iuPwe.13323$zp6.1392@trnddc08...

    Quoted message said:
    di said:


    I guess nothing is wrong with rapidfire. It's that I'm still [censored] that
    the bicycle industry rammed tham down our throat when the thumb shifters
    were just as good. Heck, for the kind of miles I put in, a 7-speed
    system would be fine. I just needed off the 26" wheels

    7-speed components are still available if you look for them.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.