UK and Europe · Public discussion

H*****s

Started by Simon Brooke · · Last activity · 208 posts · 5,719 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
15 September 2004
Last activity
29 September 2004
Original author
Simon Brooke
Posts
208
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
5,719
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 81–100 of 208
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Peter Clinch said:


    The choice is yours, but it makes a lot of sense to make it as informed
    as you possibly can.

    Pete.

    Indeed. Mind you, my wearing one has resulted in three people who
    assumed they must be a Good Thing changing their ideas, when I took said
    helmet off, and showed them what it was made of. The fact that the
    outer 'hard' covering is less than a fingernail thick shocked them.

    I'm all for demonstrating this if the subject comes up in conversation
    and I have it to hand (and even if I don't, I describe just how thin it is).

    I'm sure if I didn't wear one, they'd have never believed me when I said
    I didn't think they'd actually be all that effective. They thought
    they would offer protection akin to a horse riding helmet (they've all
    ridden in the past). It was nice to be able to prove just what the
    differences were, and discuss the reasons behind those differences as
    well as pointing out how innefectual they might be in any given incident.

    --

    Velvet

  2. RogerDodger said:
    Rory said:
    Woody said:

    rather than have a go at those who don't agree with yours.

    Well said. We should let it rest there...


    I disagree

    The trouble with false beliefs is
    that they're contagious in a world inhabited with credulous and often
    stupid humans. There is a social spillover from this seemingly
    innocuous desire for us all to be free to choose and believe as we
    wish.

    Yeah, if it was as simple as false belief then I'd agree, but this
    certainly isn't proved one way or the other, or we wouldn't be having
    these endless threads.

    So Ok, lets fan the flames: the anti-helmet camp argue that wearing
    helmets makes you take more risks cuz you perceive yourself to be
    protected. Bollox. Just because I've a smoke alarm fitted, do I
    start welding frames in bed? Letting off fireworks in the house?

    I do not think a helmet will prevent me from falling off, or save me
    if I do in every case. But try this, ride down a hill at 30mph, and
    look at the curb flashing by (not for too long!), or a bit of street
    furniture[1], if your head is going to hit that, would you prefer it
    to be with or without a helmet on? I know a regular bike helmet is
    worth FA in an impact at those speeds, but chances are you'll loose a
    good bit of speed in the process of falling off, scraping skin off on
    the tarmac, etc., so it is reasonable to suggest that in a certain
    percentage of cases, the helmet will be the difference between life or
    death or vegitabledom.

    I strongly agree that helmets shouldn't be compulsary, but then
    neither should seat belts, the staged motorcycle license laws or
    anything that seeks to removed free choice where the only one to
    suffer from a bad call is the individual making the choice. Just
    don't try and argue that helmets shouldn't be compulsary because they
    are ineffective, that's just [censored] and getting away from the point.
    Would you be happy to accept compulsion if a far more effective helmet
    was available, made of foamed-ferro-kevlar with built-in all-body
    air-bags?

    [1] read Iain Banks: Raw Spirit - What Happened to my Car...

  3. "Rory" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    So Ok, lets fan the flames: the anti-helmet camp argue that wearing
    helmets makes you take more risks cuz you perceive yourself to be
    protected. Bollox. Just because I've a smoke alarm fitted, do I
    start welding frames in bed? Letting off fireworks in the house?

    I do not think a helmet will prevent me from falling off, or save me
    if I do in every case. But try this, ride down a hill at 30mph, and
    look at the curb flashing by (not for too long!), or a bit of street
    furniture[1], if your head is going to hit that, would you prefer it
    to be with or without a helmet on? I know a regular bike helmet is
    worth FA in an impact at those speeds, but chances are you'll loose a
    good bit of speed in the process of falling off, scraping skin off on
    the tarmac, etc., so it is reasonable to suggest that in a certain
    percentage of cases, the helmet will be the difference between life or
    death or vegitabledom.

    Oh dear...

    a) You don't know how risk compensation works, do you?
    b) Trying to scare people is a bit of a tired tactic.

    clive

  4. Rory said:

    So Ok, lets fan the flames: the anti-helmet camp argue that wearing
    helmets makes you take more risks cuz you perceive yourself to be
    protected. Bollox. Just because I've a smoke alarm fitted, do I
    start welding frames in bed? Letting off fireworks in the house?

    No but you may be more likely to leave electrical stuff turned on.

    Colin

  5. Quoted message said:

    Just
    don't try and argue that helmets shouldn't be compulsary because they
    are ineffective, that's just [censored] and getting away from the point.

    It's the whole point. To justify the law one would need to demonstrate
    that it would work. It hasn't worked in any of the places that have tried
    it, for reasons unknown. Risk compensation is just one of many possible
    factors.

    For the individual none of this matters as the effect is subtle enough to
    only show up at the population level. Well, suble enough to /not/ show up
    I mean.

  6. Rory said:

    So Ok, lets fan the flames: the anti-helmet camp

    And who are they? There's a strong anti-/compulsion/ camp, but that's
    not the same thing at all, and if you think it is then it just shows you
    haven't been paying attention. And it's not paying attention that is
    usually the cause of so many very long and very dull threads on hats.

    Quoted message said:

    I do not think a helmet will prevent me from falling off, or save me
    if I do in every case. But try this, ride down a hill at 30mph, and
    look at the curb flashing by (not for too long!), or a bit of street
    furniture[1], if your head is going to hit that, would you prefer it
    to be with or without a helmet on? I know a regular bike helmet is
    worth FA in an impact at those speeds, but chances are you'll loose a
    good bit of speed in the process of falling off, scraping skin off on
    the tarmac, etc., so it is reasonable to suggest that in a certain
    percentage of cases, the helmet will be the difference between life or
    death or vegitabledom.

    Where helmet wearing rates have increased, serious head injury rates
    (and death or "vegitabledom" count as serious) have /not changed/. So
    it is *not* reasonable to suggest what you've suggested, because we have
    quite a large pile of evidence that it doesn't do any such thing.

    Quoted message said:

    don't try and argue that helmets shouldn't be compulsary because they
    are ineffective, that's just [censored]

    The evidence suggests otherwise.

    Quoted message said:

    Would you be happy to accept compulsion if a far more effective helmet
    was available, made of foamed-ferro-kevlar with built-in all-body
    air-bags?

    Compulsion has reduced cycling numbers everywhere it has been
    introduced, which has been a major public health own-goal. If you're
    saving people from a traumatic head injury just to have more people die
    from cardiac disease it renders the argument futile in any case.

    Quoted message said:

    [1] read Iain Banks: Raw Spirit - What Happened to my Car...

    Much as I'm a fan of Banksie, I don't regard an anecdote in a travelogue
    as useful road safety data compared to population level statistics.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  7. Rory said:

    So Ok, lets fan the flames: the anti-helmet camp

    Where? Who? Identify them!

    Quoted message said:

    argue that wearing
    helmets makes you take more risks cuz you perceive yourself to be
    protected. Bollox. Just because I've a smoke alarm fitted, do I
    start welding frames in bed? Letting off fireworks in the house?

    Er, the notoriously pro-helmet editor of Injury Prevention also accepts that
    helmeted cyclists may be likely to take more risks. This is not a
    controversial theory at all, the idea of risk compensation is mainstream
    these days.

    Nobody believes they engage in risk compensation themselves, which is of
    course why it happens. You can find out more by reading Risk by John Adams.

    Quoted message said:

    I do not think a helmet will prevent me from falling off, or save me
    if I do in every case. But try this, ride down a hill at 30mph, and
    look at the curb flashing by (not for too long!), or a bit of street
    furniture[1], if your head is going to hit that, would you prefer it
    to be with or without a helmet on?

    I don't think it will make any significant difference, and the observed
    facts support that. Helmets which hit kerbs routinely fail. The owners
    then hold up their failed helmets and claim they Saved Their Lives, which
    must make the manufacturers laugh up their sleeves.

    Quoted message said:

    I know a regular bike helmet is
    worth FA in an impact at those speeds, but chances are you'll loose a
    good bit of speed in the process of falling off, scraping skin off on
    the tarmac, etc., so it is reasonable to suggest that in a certain
    percentage of cases, the helmet will be the difference between life or
    death or vegitabledom.

    On balance, no. Any such difference is offset by the increased likelihood
    of crashing in the first place. We can be quite confident of this because a
    couple of countries have conducted experiments - they introduced laws which
    increased helmet wearing rates dramatically over very short periods, and
    once you've factored out the fact thet this decimated cycling there is no
    decrease in head injury rates.

    Quoted message said:

    I strongly agree that helmets shouldn't be compulsary, but then
    neither should seat belts, the staged motorcycle license laws or
    anything that seeks to removed free choice where the only one to
    suffer from a bad call is the individual making the choice.

    Staged motorcycle tests are a good idea - motorcylists are quite capable of
    killing other people as well as themselves. Actually there should be a
    staged car driving test as well, and periodic retests for all motor vehicle
    licenses.

    Quoted message said:

    Just
    don't try and argue that helmets shouldn't be compulsary because they
    are ineffective, that's just [censored] and getting away from the point.

    Except that it's not. Whether helmets are effective or not is moot, but it
    is incontrovertibly true that helmet laws are ineffective in reducing head
    injuries, other than by the mechanism of deterring cycling.

    Quoted message said:

    Would you be happy to accept compulsion if a far more effective helmet
    was available, made of foamed-ferro-kevlar with built-in all-body
    air-bags?

    I think many of us would be more likely to accept helmet promotion if they
    were genuinely effective, yes.

    Guy
    --
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington
    University

  8. in message <[email hidden]>, Rory

    (') said:

    I do not think a helmet will prevent me from falling off, or save me
    if I do in every case. But try this, ride down a hill at 30mph, and
    look at the curb flashing by (not for too long!), or a bit of street
    furniture[1], if your head is going to hit that, would you prefer it
    to be with or without a helmet on? I know a regular bike helmet is
    worth FA in an impact at those speeds, but chances are you'll loose a
    good bit of speed in the process of falling off, scraping skin off on
    the tarmac, etc., so it is reasonable to suggest that in a certain
    percentage of cases, the helmet will be the difference between life or
    death or vegitabledom.

    Yes, it is _reasonable_, until you look at the evidence. If it were
    true, injury rates per kilometer cycled would fall when more people
    wore helmets. But they don't. They stay the same, or even (in the USA
    and Canada) rise. So in this case the reasonable assumption turns out
    to be wrong.

    Quoted message said:

    Just
    don't try and argue that helmets shouldn't be compulsary because they
    are ineffective, that's just [censored] and getting away from the point.

    What is the point in being forced to wear something which is
    ineffective? Do you think there should be legislation to make everyone
    carry lucky rabbits feet, or St Christopher medallions?

    Quoted message said:

    Would you be happy to accept compulsion if a far more effective helmet
    was available, made of foamed-ferro-kevlar with built-in all-body
    air-bags?

    Look, let's be clear about this: on average, you will live about five
    years longer if you cycle without a helmet than if you don't cycle at
    all. Cycling without a helmet isn't more dangerous than not cycling:
    it's a lot safer. So anything which puts people off cycling is bad for
    people. Would you cycle in a ferro-kevlar helmet with built-in all-body
    air-bags? No, thought not. Every single person you put off cycling is
    going to have more health problems and cost the NHS more money, and
    live a shorter, less fit life. Where is the public policy benefit of
    doing that?

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; Women are from Venus. Men are from Mars. Lusers are from Uranus.

  9. On 17/9/04 12:21 pm, in article
    [email hidden], "Rory"

    Quoted message said:

    so it is reasonable to suggest that in a certain
    percentage of cases, the helmet will be the difference between life or
    death or vegitabledom.

    You make the error of assuming that a helmet can only have a positive effect
    on outcome. I would suggest that you learn what rotational head injury is,
    how much more serious than injuries arising from direct linear blows and
    whether it is made better or worse by helmets.

    Personally at 30mph I'd rather not wear a helmet. I value my brain too much
    for that. At walking pace I would wear a helmet[1] as potential accidents
    are likely to be within the design criteria and it would save some scratches
    and bruising.

    So it is reasonable to suggest that the helmet may make a difference. The
    problem is that from the real world data the helmet is making vegetables out
    of otherwise scratched and bruised individuals, or whether it is saving
    lives and injuries (or even both in similar proportions.)

    ...d

  10. "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email hidden]>typed

    Quoted message said:

    Rory wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    Nobody believes they engage in risk compensation themselves, which is of
    course why it happens. You can find out more by reading Risk by John Adams.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I do not think a helmet will prevent me from falling off, or save me
    if I do in every case. But try this, ride down a hill at 30mph, and
    look at the curb flashing by (not for too long!), or a bit of street
    furniture[1], if your head is going to hit that, would you prefer it
    to be with or without a helmet on?

    Quoted message said:

    I don't think it will make any significant difference, and the observed
    facts support that. Helmets which hit kerbs routinely fail. The owners
    then hold up their failed helmets and claim they Saved Their Lives, which
    must make the manufacturers laugh up their sleeves.

    Imagine you are flying off your bike, in that split second, when you
    think 'This is going to hurt!', do you lift your heavily-helmted head up
    or do you let it strike the tarmac, knowing it is covered, unlike your
    hands and knees?

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email hidden]
    Edgware.

  11. Just zis Guy said:
    Rory said:

    So Ok, lets fan the flames: the anti-helmet camp

    Where? Who? Identify them!

    Quoted message said:

    argue that wearing
    helmets makes you take more risks cuz you perceive yourself to
    be protected. Bollox. Just because I've a smoke alarm
    fitted, do I start welding frames in bed? Letting off
    fireworks in the house?

    Er, the notoriously pro-helmet editor of Injury Prevention also
    accepts that helmeted cyclists may be likely to take more
    risks. This is not a controversial theory at all, the idea of
    risk compensation is mainstream these days.

    are you referring to the pless article on kids and protective play equipment
    again?

    If so you are distorting what was said.

    pk

  12. Rory said:

    So Ok, lets fan the flames: the anti-helmet camp argue that wearing
    helmets makes you take more risks cuz you perceive yourself to be
    protected. Bollox. Just because I've a smoke alarm fitted, do I
    start welding frames in bed? Letting off fireworks in the house?

    No they don't. If you're going to attempt to mount a rebuttal of an
    argument, it would be wise to determine what the argument you're
    rebutting is. Otherwise, your on teh internet's number 2 favourite
    fallacy - the straw man.

    Quoted message said:

    I do not think a helmet will prevent me from falling off, or save me
    if I do in every case. But try this, ride down a hill at 30mph, and
    look at the curb flashing by (not for too long!), or a bit of street
    furniture[1], if your head is going to hit that, would you prefer it
    to be with or without a helmet on?

    And again. Now try this experiment - wouyld you prefer to hit your
    head on a kerbstone wearing a helmet at 30mph or not to hit your head
    on anything at all? Now explain why your thought-experiment is more
    relevant than mine.

    Anyway, you said you wouldn't weld in bed, and now you're advocating
    riding at 30mph and not looking where you're going.

    Quoted message said:

    the tarmac, etc., so it is reasonable to suggest that in a certain
    percentage of cases, the helmet will be the difference between life or
    death or vegitabledom.

    Quite possibly. The argument is that in a certain, potentially larger
    percentage of cases, it makes death _more_ likely than not wearing it.
    You have failed entirely to address anything to this point.

    Quoted message said:

    don't try and argue that helmets shouldn't be compulsary because they
    are ineffective, that's just [censored] and getting away from the point.

    Eh? The effectiveness or otherwise of helmets is _exactly_ the
    point - you're not really arguing that you wear it just for teh
    fashion statement, are you?

    Anyway, you'll be able to point to population-level statistics
    demonstrating that they are effective. After all, if its so
    absolutely certain that they are effective, there'll be loads of
    evidence because everywhere that's made them mandatory will have shown
    immediate and dramatic reduction in serious head injury rates fo
    cyclists, won't they.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|
    |/ \|

  13. Helen Deborah Vecht said:


    Imagine you are flying off your bike, in that split second,
    when you think

    "Oh [censored], despite my best efforts and well practiced safe-falling technique,
    my head IS going to hit the kerb!"

    The high consequence - low probability accident is (literally) staring you
    in the face.

    Are you glad you are not wearing a helmet?

    ---

    PK

    ---

  14. Helen Deborah Vecht said:


    Imagine you are flying off your bike, in that split second, when you
    think 'This is going to hurt!', do you lift your heavily-helmted head up
    or do you let it strike the tarmac, knowing it is covered, unlike your
    hands and knees?

    I imagine I roll my shoulders round faster, as I have every (not many)
    time I've gone over the bars since the age of 9. But then, I wasn't
    wearing a helmet.

    A

  15. PK said:
    Helen Deborah Vecht said:


    Imagine you are flying off your bike, in that split second,
    when you think

    "Oh [censored], despite my best efforts and well practiced safe-falling technique,
    my head IS going to hit the kerb!"

    The high consequence - low probability accident is (literally) staring you
    in the face.

    Are you glad you are not wearing a helmet?

    Are you telling me that you cannot use your arms to move that tiny fraction
    sideways, or even turn your head?

    You are raising an extremely improbable scenario and attempting to project
    it as a general case.
    Doesn't wash.

    ...d

  16. On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 14:45:57 +0000 (UTC), "PK"
    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Er, the notoriously pro-helmet editor of Injury Prevention also
    accepts that helmeted cyclists may be likely to take more
    risks.

    Quoted message said:

    are you referring to the pless article on kids and protective play equipment
    again? If so you are distorting what was said.

    No, his conclusion was that helmeted children may be more likely to
    take risks. And given that his previous position was to rubbish the
    very idea, that is a significant concession.

    Do you think that cyclists are uniquely immune from risk compensation?
    I'm guessing not.

    Guy
    --
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington University

  17. Quoted message said:

    No hope there I'm afraid. my MP is Sir George Young Bt, a really great
    MP, but who has already made his position *very* clear on the issue as
    all who followed the debate in parliament wll testify.

    John B

    I would be very interested on what basis he uses to justify his decision.
    How many pro-compulsion letters etc has he received compared to
    anti-compulsion? After all he is supposed to represent the views of his
    constituency rather than just put forward his own views.

    I am all in favour of making safety compulsory when there is clear evidence
    or there is a danger to 3rd parties e.g. the seat belt law but even as a
    helmet wearer I agree the evidence is just not there. Where do you draw the
    line, skateboarders? pedestrians? toddlers in push chairs?

    Woody

  18. JohnB said:
    dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers said:
    Quoted message said:

    helmets are still optional
    (for now) for time trials run under CTT rules & regs.


    For adults, yes, but for the under 18s they are compulsory.

    But looking at today's start sheets its almost only those of advancing
    hairlines who ride TTs ;-)


    Cause and effect?

    Seriously, helmet compulsion is already here for children who want to
    participate in most organised cycling events. Rolling this back will
    take sustained effort.

    Colin McKenzie

    --
    The great advantage of not trusting statistics is that
    it leaves you free to believe the damned lies instead!

  19. David Martin said:

    On 17/9/04 5:48 pm, in article
    [email hidden], "PK"

    Quoted message said:
    Helen Deborah Vecht said:


    Imagine you are flying off your bike, in that split second,
    when you think

    "Oh [censored], despite my best efforts and well practiced
    safe-falling technique, my head IS going to hit the kerb!"

    The high consequence - low probability accident is (literally)
    staring you in the face.

    Are you glad you are not wearing a helmet?

    Are you telling me that you cannot use your arms to move that
    tiny fraction sideways, or even turn your head?

    You are raising an extremely improbable scenario and attempting
    to project it as a general case.
    Doesn't wash.

    Read what I said again, I am specifically NOT projecting it as a general
    case.

    That is the point, we are looking at the extreme end of the probability
    distribution. The low probability-high consequence accident.

    It is a coherent position to say: Helmets probably provide some protection
    in a highly improbable scenario that I as an individual am extremely
    unlikely to ever experience, but I choose to forgo that protection because
    the discomfort I always experience when wearing a helmet removes the
    pleasure from cycling.

    What gives many people difficulty is the intellectual gyrations some try to
    go through to prove from ultra tenuous data that helmets provide no
    protection and are more dangerous than not wearing one. ISTM that that
    position is just as extreme and just as daft as the Bhit rubbish at the
    other end of the spectrum which sees helmets as some miraculous cure all.

    pk

  20. quote='Ian Smith'On 17 Sep 2004 04:21:15 -0700 said:

    So Ok, lets fan the flames: the anti-helmet camp argue that wearing
    helmets makes you take more risks cuz you perceive yourself to be
    protected. Bollox. Just because I've a smoke alarm fitted, do I
    start welding frames in bed? Letting off fireworks in the house?

    No they don't. If you're going to attempt to mount a rebuttal of an
    argument, it would be wise to determine what the argument you're
    rebutting is. Otherwise, your on teh internet's number 2 favourite
    fallacy - the straw man.
    [/QUOTE]
    The ol' fallacy detector sent up a red flag here - the analogy chosen of "welding frames (in bed??) or letting off fireworks in the house" is laughable.

    Ever heard of the fallacy of improper analogy, Rory?

    What more needs to be said about the intelligence (or in this case the lack thereof!) of a person who trots out such a ridiculous analogy - I've seen this sort of utterly stupid stuff many times from the helmet bigots.

    How can you reason with people who are apparently bereft of the ability to reason without falling into factitious fallacy?
    Answer - don't bother - ridicule them instead.

    Roger

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.