"zxcvbob" <[email hidden]> wrote in message -"]news:[email hidden]- berlin.de...
Quoted message said:
My brother grows *mild* scotch bonnet peppers. I think the variety is called "Trinidad Spice". At first I wondered what was the point, but then realized you can get that habanero flavor with the TS peppers, then adjust the heat with a little real habanero or cayenne pepper.
-Bob
Bob, Do scotch bonnets have the same intense fruity aroma and flavor of the Habanero?
Yes.
Quoted message said:
I grew some Savino (red) Habaneros that were intensely fruity and 30% hotter that the regular old orange Habanero. They were wonderful when prepared to cut down the heat. I'll look for the TS you mentioned.
I have some chocolate habanero seeds (or scotch bonnet; I have trouble telling them apart.) Most of the plants produce red fruit, a few produce purplish chocolate brown fruit. Both seem hotter than plain ol' orange habaneros. The peppers my brother grows smell and taste just like a habanero with no heat at all. When I saw the plants last fall they were about 9 feet tall, just in one growing season.
On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 04:56:34 GMT, "DaveR" <[email hidden]>
Quoted message said:
Bob, Do scotch bonnets have the same intense fruity aroma and flavor of the Habanero? I grew some Savino (red) Habaneros that were intensely fruity and 30% hotter that the regular old orange Habanero. They were wonderful when prepared to cut down the heat. I'll look for the TS you mentioned.
I buy habs 20 at a time for jerk paste and cut out the membranes of 17 of them with an exacto. This takes away 98% of the heat while leaving the fruity taste.
They have to be really fresh and undamaged, otherwise the capsaicin has been released into the fruit itself.
When I need one, I take it out of the freezer and put it immediately into a plastic bag (one of those grocery produce ones). Close it, then smash the chile with some heavy. This shatters it. Then dump the contents carefully into the pot and throw the bag away.
Quoted message said:
How do you get the veins and seeds out of a smashed Habanero. This is important for getting the most flavor without embalming your mouth.
I don't 😉
Obviously, if you want to slice out the placentas, which are the primary heat providers, then you have to do some surgery. I don't.
I also have a jar of habanero paste my brother made, which is roasted chiles mashed with a bit of salt and vinegar. USE WITH CAUTION!