General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Hairy Male Clients

Started by John Smith · · Last activity · 8 posts · 4,406 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
21 February 2004
Last activity
22 February 2004
Original author
John Smith
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
4,406
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm a male interested in getting massages, but ...

    I have a mild to moderately hairy back (degree depends on your perspective).

    The media/advertising world has so inundated us with the idea that a male with hair on his body is
    disgusting (let's not even start talking about the nonsense that women have to contend with) that
    I'm a little uncomfortable asking a stranger to give me a massage.

    I wish I could say that my ego or self esteem or self confidence was solid enough that I didn't give
    hoot, but I do. It doesn't help that my son has started comparing his developing six pack to my
    developing deli pack on top of everything.

    What's the general, honest, take on this?

    Thanks

  2. John Smith said:


    I'm a male interested in getting massages, but ...

    I have a mild to moderately hairy back (degree depends on your perspective).

    The media/advertising world has so inundated us with the idea that a male with hair on his body is
    disgusting (let's not even start talking about the nonsense that women have to contend with) that
    I'm a little uncomfortable asking a stranger to give me a massage.

    I wish I could say that my ego or self esteem or self confidence was solid enough that I didn't
    give hoot, but I do. It doesn't help that my son has started comparing his developing six pack to
    my developing deli pack on top of everything.

    What's the general, honest, take on this?

    A massage therapist sees all kinds of bodies and underneath the surface, they're the same... bones,
    muscle, organs, etc. To me, that's all I think about, doesn't matter about the covering. A hairier
    body part might need more oil or cream to keep from pulling the hair and creating discomfort, but
    that's about as far as the thought goes.

    sue

  3. i agree with sue. iv seen pretty much all types of bodys. only thing iv
    really noticed is it does use extra oil or cream. other than that after
    seeing the number of clients that iv delt with over the years muscles bones
    and tissue is pretty much all i see
    "suzee" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    John Smith said:


    I'm a male interested in getting massages, but ...

    I have a mild to moderately hairy back (degree depends on your


    perspective).

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    The media/advertising world has so inundated us with the idea that a male with hair on his body
    is disgusting (let's not even start talking about the nonsense that women have to contend with)
    that I'm a little uncomfortable asking a stranger to give me a massage.

    I wish I could say that my ego or self esteem or self confidence was solid enough that I didn't
    give hoot, but I do. It doesn't help that my son has started comparing his developing six pack
    to my developing deli pack on top of everything.

    What's the general, honest, take on this?

    A massage therapist sees all kinds of bodies and underneath the surface, they're the same...
    bones, muscle, organs, etc. To me, that's all I think about, doesn't matter about the covering. A
    hairier body part might need more oil or cream to keep from pulling the hair and creating
    discomfort, but that's about as far as the thought goes.

    sue

  4. John:

    Quoted message said:

    I'm a male interested in getting massages, but ...

    I have a mild to moderately hairy back (degree depends on your perspective).

    The media/advertising world has so inundated us with the idea that a male with hair on his body
    is disgusting (let's not even start talking about the nonsense that women have to contend with)
    that I'm a little uncomfortable asking a stranger to give me a massage.

    I wish I could say that my ego or self esteem or self confidence was solid enough that I didn't
    give hoot, but I do. It doesn't help that my son has started comparing his developing six pack to
    my developing deli pack on top of everything.

    What's the general, honest, take on this?

    To tell you the truth, I'm quite hairy myself, and currently a student on an LMT program (although I
    stated on a Tui Na program last year and had to switch programs due to work and family life to allow
    me to graduate at the end of this year and start practising ASAP). When I was younger, I was very
    self-conscious of the hair on my body, having grown up a little faster than most of the other boys
    in my class at school. I'm still quite modest about my exposing my torso during the summer or at the
    swimming pool and don't tend to expose it that much even at home in private (although that might
    have more to do with a Catholic primary schooling).

    However, in saying that, I have littlr trouble taking off my top when I'm getting a massage, and the
    main reason for this is that I trust the therapist (even if they're just a student) to be
    professional and to help me relax so that together we can ensure that the desired result of the
    massage is reached (relaxation, therapeutic, NMT etc). I'm still self-conscious, but I can reign it
    in because I realize that massage sessions are going to be beneficial to me in the long run. Even
    just the massage itself makes you physically feel good, and touch therapy is often a great way to
    help you heal mentally as well.

    There's a couple of people in our class, who like me, are quite hirsute, and for a therapist, the
    only challange that really presents is that often it takes some more creme/lotion/oil to ensure that
    there's plenty of topical lubrication when massaging them.

    I'd suggest a couple of things:

    1) Search for a good massage therapist in your location area and make sure that if the state is
    licensed, that they have the obligitory license.

    2) Ask for their professional accreditaions. Most therapists are members of either the American
    Massage Therapy Association (AMTA) or the Associated Bodywork & Massage Professionals (ABMP),
    each of which have a core code of ethics that all therapists agree to abide to. Membership in
    either group usually guarantees that your therapist is a professional who will understake your
    concerns and take them into consideration.

    3) Talk to the therapist and let them know your concerns. When you first go in for the massage,
    during intake, explain how you feel and let the therapist and you develop a rapport. If, at the
    end of the intake, you still don't feel comfortable, let the therapist know. They'll be able to
    answer any questions, and a true professional will be concerned about your emotional state.

    4) If you've had friends go for a massage, speak to them and ask them questions about how they felt
    before and after the massage.

    5) Check www.upledger.com, which is the Upledger Institute's Web-site, and find a practitioner of
    Somato-Emotional Release in your area. Many practitioners of this modality are therapists, but
    others are doctors, physical therapists, nurses, and other medical professions. SER may possibly
    help you overcome your personal anxiety towards touch and benefit you

    6) Realize that most massage therapists are professional, and like any other professional, they
    are concerned about your well-being. Just like your local doctor or dentist, they've gone
    through a lot of professional training, and they just want to help you. Try to think of them on
    the same level as one of these other medical professions. Here in Ohio, a licensed massage
    therapist is regulated by the State medical board and are classified as practising a limited
    branch of medicine.

    I hope this helps a little.

    --
    Jason Paul McCartan

  5. I am a muscular therapist in training. In our class of 22, there are 4 males, all of whom have
    varying degrees of body hair. Along with that, there is just about any body shape and size you can
    imagine in the class. As part of our training, we have a technique class once a week in which we
    rotate partners regularly, and are required to work on at least one person per week as "homework".
    My point is that by the time our class graduates, we will have seen all types of shapes, sizes,
    hairy and hairless bodies extensively, and will have learned appropriate ways to work on each. It
    begins at the training level, and continues as long as a person maintains their practice.

    "Joe" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    i agree with sue. iv seen pretty much all types of bodys. only thing iv really noticed is it does
    use extra oil or cream. other than that after seeing the number of clients that iv delt with over
    the years muscles bones and tissue is pretty much all i see "suzee" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    John Smith said:


    I'm a male interested in getting massages, but ...

    I have a mild to moderately hairy back (degree depends on your


    perspective).

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    The media/advertising world has so inundated us with the idea that a male with hair on his
    body is disgusting (let's not even start talking about the nonsense that women have to contend
    with) that I'm a little uncomfortable asking a stranger to give me a massage.

    I wish I could say that my ego or self esteem or self confidence was solid enough that I
    didn't give hoot, but I do. It doesn't help that my son has started comparing his developing
    six pack to my developing deli pack on top of everything.

    What's the general, honest, take on this?

    A massage therapist sees all kinds of bodies and underneath the surface, they're the same...
    bones, muscle, organs, etc. To me, that's all I think about, doesn't matter about the covering.
    A hairier body part might need more oil or cream to keep from pulling the hair and creating
    discomfort, but that's about as far as the thought goes.

    sue

  6. I am a massage therapist for seven years and men with hair on their back don't bother me.What
    bothers me...they don't want any type of lotion or oil on them.I don't feel like I am giving them a
    quality massage.More like a torture massage.

  7. Its just hair, honestly. Get a massage, it won't bother your MT. If it does bother you, however, get
    it waxed! Many men do that now.

    Tiffany John Smith <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm a male interested in getting massages, but ...

    I have a mild to moderately hairy back (degree depends on your


    perspective).

    Quoted message said:


    The media/advertising world has so inundated us with the idea that a male with hair on his body is
    disgusting (let's not even start talking about the nonsense that women have to contend with) that
    I'm a little uncomfortable asking a stranger to give me a massage.

    I wish I could say that my ego or self esteem or self confidence was solid enough that I didn't
    give hoot, but I do. It doesn't help that my son has started comparing his developing six pack to
    my developing deli pack on top of everything.

    What's the general, honest, take on this?

    Thanks

  8. Tiffany said:

    Its just hair, honestly. Get a massage, it won't bother your MT. Tiffany

    Well, from the replies I've received, it seems that massage therapists are aware that some men have
    hair on their bodies and it's not an issue. So it's off to a massage that I go.

    Next thread all about massage types. See you there.

    Thanks for the feedback.

    JS

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.