UK and Europe · Public discussion

Halfords partial U-turn on helmets

Started by Tony Raven · · Last activity · 24 posts · 655 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
2 May 2007
Last activity
3 May 2007
Original author
Tony Raven
Posts
24
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
655
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–24 of 24
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Tom Crispin said:
    Tony Raven said:

    John B wrote on 02/05/2007 20:52 +0100:

    Quoted message said:


    Two so far this year also :-(

    Its easily fixed but potentially lethal if not.

    John B

    Call in Trading Standards. Selling dangerous goods is slap bang in
    their territory.

    In the two cases I encountered it was not the fault of the retailer. I
    find it hard to believe that even Halfords could be that ignorant.

    In my two this year, one was the retailer and one the parent.
    The latter was partly due to having only a too simplistic diagram
    annotated in a foreign language.

    Last year we had two brand new bikes that even came _direct_ from the
    supermarket to a training session that were completely unroadworthy.

    John B

  2. Tony Raven said:

    John B wrote on 02/05/2007 23:25 +0100:

    Quoted message said:


    Tony Raven said:

    John B wrote on 02/05/2007 22:26 +0100:
    > Tony Raven wrote:
    >> Call in Trading Standards. Selling dangerous goods is slap bang in
    >> their territory.
    > This has been done.
    > I was informed that any complaint really needs to come from the 'aggrieved'
    > party but that they were very sympathetic and would perhaps 'have quiet
    > words' with a number of local outlets.
    >
    Ask them if they would take the same attitude to e.g. an electric kettle
    with a serious wiring fault that could injure/kill someone.

    I think the answer might be the same if it came from a third-party.

    I think if a kettle repair shop owner came in and said "I'm seeing a lot
    of kettles coming in for repair sold by X that have some very dangerous
    wiring faults in them they would take notice. Its not as if you are a
    casual observer walking down the street - it arises from your experience
    in a professional capacity. YMMV

    Which is *exactly* what has been done regarding the bikes and TS have said they
    will take a look.

    John B

  3. Tom Crispin said:
    Tony Raven said:

    I think if a kettle repair shop owner came in and said "I'm seeing a lot
    of kettles coming in for repair sold by X that have some very dangerous
    wiring faults in them they would take notice. Its not as if you are a
    casual observer walking down the street - it arises from your experience
    in a professional capacity. YMMV

    The reversed fork problem is no more than reversed handlebars which
    have then been turned the right way round. As the cause and solution
    is so simple, I don't believe it is a bike shop issue.

    it is sometimes.
    Last year I had one reversed handlebar set-up on a bike that had come
    _direct_ from the retailer.
    It had been picked up from the store and delivered to the training session
    in the back of the car .

    I have also had several parents say that the bike had been supplied by the
    shop with the incorrect set-up and had wondered why the pedals hit teh
    wheel.
    I once even came across a reversed handlebar bike on a pre-training session
    check and advised the parent to take it back to get it fixed, as there were
    other problems too. They did this, and yet still the bike was still returned
    unchanged:-(

    It is true that many of those parents who choose not to have the bike
    assembled and do the set-up themselves can easily make the error. But IME
    certain retailers and supermarkets are to blame too.

    My heart drops when I see a 'new' Apollo on a session.

    John B

  4. Simon Brooke said:

    in message <[email hidden]>, Tony Raven

    (') said:

    Bennett said that presenting cycling as an inherently risk activity was
    "a real danger" in itself even though a helmet compulsion law would lead
    to a big increase in helmet sales for Halfords.

    It would also lead to a large fall in cycle sales, and I expect there's
    more profit in cycles.


    Not necessarily.

    a) Halfords sells a small proportion of bikes that actually get ridden
    b) They don't sell that many high margin bikes.

    A

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.