I joined the South Loop Fitplex in Chicago a few months ago while the
facility was being built. While I was waiting for the gym to be
completed, I had access to the other Fitplex gyms in the area and I
really enjoyed doing rows on plate-loaded Hammer Strength machines.
Today I went to the new gym (access to other gyms ended because the new
gym was finished), where instead of plate-loaded machines, management
chose to install the Hammer Strength MTS line, which uses cables/belts
and pullies. My back workout just sucked. The machine just felt wrong,
and the weight stack for the high row machine was insufficient. I'd
feel like a tough guy for obsoleting a machine if the mirror didn't
laugh at my fat ass.
1. Is the difference in feel between plate-loaded and belt-type
machines all in my head?
2. Why do you think the gym paid twice as much for the MTS machines
when the other machines work fine?
Also of note, the gym features 45 cardio machines (each with its own
LCD television), two group exercise rooms, one squat rack (nestled in a
corner), and two flat benches. The lesson here is to never join a gym
before it's built.
Honest answers (and even flames) are appreciated.