Handlebar foam

Simon Mason

Guest
Is it possible to buy handlebar foam for drop bars? If so, is it sold in particular lengths or do
you buy different bits for the top rest and the curved bit? Ta, Simon Mason

Simon Mason must be edykated coz e writed:

> Is it possible to buy handlebar foam for drop bars? If so, is it sold in particular lengths or do
> you buy different bits for the top rest and the curved bit? Ta, Simon Mason
Halfords do it for about £5, comes in for pieces for above and below thr brake levers.

--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

Simon Mason wrote:

> Is it possible to buy handlebar foam for drop bars? If so, is it sold in particular lengths or do
> you buy different bits for the top rest and the curved bit?

Grab-On. Comes in a packet containing four pieces; two each side - one inboard and one outboard of
the brake lever. I have used nothing else on my drop-bar bike since 1982.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Simon Mason wrote:
> Is it possible to buy handlebar foam for drop bars?

See the examples at www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm

I find foam sleeving too squashy. There is denser stuff now, in the form of foam strips that are
fitted under bar tape (included on the SJS site) - got a good review in C+ mag but I've not
tried them yet.

Instead, I use two layers of bar tape and Ozzo gel mitts (shouldn't normally need more than that if
handlebar position is good) - although I have placed a thin layer of soft foamy packaging material
stuff under the tape on one of my bikes. A very subtle effect! ...ie. it's doing nowt probably.

~PB

[email protected] (Simon Mason) writes:

> Is it possible to buy handlebar foam for drop bars? If so, is it sold in particular lengths or do
> you buy different bits for the top rest and the curved bit?

Yes. The brand name you want is 'grab-on'; it comes in packs already cut to suitable lengths, and if
you suffer from tingly hands from road shock, it is *wonderful*.

Hobbit ringleader gives Sauron One in the Eye.

Simon Mason wrote:

> Is it possible to buy handlebar foam for drop bars?

What the others said: Grab-On. The others are all Pale Imitations of the Real Thing, which is
fantastic. Only two drawbacks[1]: tricky to fit if you have bar-ends, and it can make the bars a bit
fat, so you need to be careful to avoid squashed nerves (in practice this just means not wearing
ludicrously thick gloves, regular track mitts are OK).

I used Grab-Ons for years and only stopped because the cables for my bar-ends got in the way. MarSAS
is nothing like as good, IMO.

[1] What's the biggest drawback? An elephant's foreskin...

--
Guy
===

On 30 Oct 2003 07:45:30 -0800, [email protected] (Simon Mason) wrote:

>Is it possible to buy handlebar foam for drop bars? If so, is it sold in particular lengths or do
>you buy different bits for the top rest and the curved bit?

Might be too much of a bodge for you, but I use thin plumbers pipe lagging [but only on the top
sections of the drop bars]. Peanuts to but and secured with a couple of cable ties. It does wonders
for tingling hands.

My next bodge is to use gripshifters with drop bars..looking good.

Garryb

> Simon Mason wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to buy handlebar foam for drop bars? If so, is it sold in particular lengths or
> > do you buy different bits for the top rest and the curved bit?
>
> Grab-On. Comes in a packet containing four pieces; two each side - one inboard and one outboard of
> the brake lever. I have used nothing else on
my
> drop-bar bike since 1982.

Do you have gorilla like arms now from fitting the stuff (or removing it)?

(The stuff labelled 'grab-on' was significantly better than any of the other foam things I've had
experience of).

cheers, clive

"Pete Biggs" <pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Simon Mason wrote:
> > Is it possible to buy handlebar foam for drop bars?
>
> See the examples at www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm
>
> I find foam sleeving too squashy. There is denser stuff now, in the form of foam strips that are
> fitted under bar tape (included on the SJS site) - got a good review in C+ mag but I've not tried
> them yet.
>
> Instead, I use two layers of bar tape and Ozzo gel mitts (shouldn't normally need more than that
> if handlebar position is good) - although I have placed a thin layer of soft foamy packaging
> material stuff under the tape on one of my bikes. A very subtle effect! ...ie. it's doing nowt
> probably.
>
> ~PB

What a bunch of poofs you lot are !

Graham

"Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:bnrdg6
> Grab-On. Comes in a packet containing four pieces; two each side - one inboard and one outboard of
> the brake lever. I have used nothing else on
my
> drop-bar bike since 1982.

Thanks, someone else alerted me to them and I've ordered them from Wiggle.

Simon

> (The stuff labelled 'grab-on' was significantly better than any of the other foam things I've had
> experience of).

> cheers, clive

I have photographs of my *very* black paws from using that stuff in 1985.