Worn handlebar tape.

elyob

Guest
I have started using my main racer again, as my commuter bike ran out
of brake blocks .. this is the bike I am planning to use in 2 weeks
for LEJOG.

On doing a bike ride on Sunday, I found my hands getting really
painfully uncomfortable. I now am wondering if the tape is beyond its
best? Basically I have done > 3000 miles on the same handlebar tape,
so guess it is fairly compressed, and it's just like me leaning on the
bare metal?

So, is there an expected life span? I'm also thinking of putting some
new tape over the old tape. Any advice?

elyob wrote:

> On doing a bike ride on Sunday, I found my hands getting really
> painfully uncomfortable. I now am wondering if the tape is beyond its
> best? Basically I have done > 3000 miles on the same handlebar tape,
> so guess it is fairly compressed, and it's just like me leaning on the
> bare metal?
>
> So, is there an expected life span? I'm also thinking of putting some
> new tape over the old tape. Any advice?

I don't know, but I do know that all tape is not created equal. When I
used to ride drops I found that Cinelli cork tape was more comfortable
than others I tried, as well as coming in a wide choice of colours and
patterns.

I see they now do a gel-backed tape for more money, but I've no idea how
good it is.

If you're about to do a big ride, might as well treat the bike and
yourself to something nice.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On May 6, 12:58 pm, elyob <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have started using my main racer again, as my commuter bike ran out
> of brake blocks .. this is the bike I am planning to use in 2 weeks
> for LEJOG.
>
> On doing a bike ride on Sunday, I found my hands getting really
> painfully uncomfortable. I now am wondering if the tape is beyond its
> best? Basically I have done > 3000 miles on the same handlebar tape,
> so guess it is fairly compressed, and it's just like me leaning on the
> bare metal?
>
> So, is there an expected life span? I'm also thinking of putting some
> new tape over the old tape. Any advice?

You can buy gel sachets that go under the bar tape - I had some on the
Langster, fairly comfy too as I remember. Or even easier would be
something like the Specialized gloves that have gel inserts around the
palm.

Regards,

Duncan

elyob writtificated

> I'm also thinking of putting some
> new tape over the old tape. Any advice?

For ultimate comfort something along the lines of Specialized Bar Phat[1]
does the job. There are now other, non-Specialized, versions about too.

I never put this stuff on my nice racer, 'cos it weighs about a quarter of
a kilogram, but Specialized also do roubaix tape[2] and S-wrap[3]. Both of
these are at the comfier end without scaring weight weenies.

IME cheap tape is noticeably less comfy and I'd avoid this for anything
other than a hack.

Padded gloves provide excellent comfort, as long as they fit and the
padding is in the right place for your hands and grip.

[1] <www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=33919>
[2] >www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=25683>
[3] <www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=33918>

elyob wrote:
> I have started using my main racer again, as my commuter bike ran out
> of brake blocks .. this is the bike I am planning to use in 2 weeks
> for LEJOG.
>
> On doing a bike ride on Sunday, I found my hands getting really
> painfully uncomfortable. I now am wondering if the tape is beyond its
> best? Basically I have done > 3000 miles on the same handlebar tape,
> so guess it is fairly compressed, and it's just like me leaning on the
> bare metal?
>
> So, is there an expected life span?

Some tapes can can last ages (eg. Ozzo simulated leather), but more
comfortable and grippy bar tape may last only a few thousand miles before
becoming too shabby.

> I'm also thinking of putting some
> new tape over the old tape.

Not a bad idea (especially for the tops of the bars) as an increased
diameter can be more comfortable.

What is known simly as "cork" tape tends to be good. You can get it
anywhere under various brand names and colours. It's lightly foam-padded
and provides good grip. To save a few quid, watch out for SJSC's regular
auctions on Fleabay: http://tinyurl.com/4v7d6j

For extra padding: over-priced, but more effective than gel, IME, are MARS
foam strips (available from SJSC). Alternatively, or as well: wear padded
mitts.

Consider altering your riding position if too much weight is going on your
hands. A shorter and higher stem often helps, though sometimes (and
strangely), lowering the bars works for me.

~PB

> For extra padding: over-priced, but more effective than gel, IME, are
> MARS foam strips (available from SJSC).

ps. This stuff goes underneath your bar tape - whatever tape you like.

It may feel better than any "special" tape you can buy, and has the
advantage of not needing to be replaced when the tape wears out, thus saving
money in the long run.

~PB

Quoting Pete Biggs <[email protected]>:
>For extra padding: over-priced, but more effective than gel, IME, are MARS
>foam strips (available from SJSC). Alternatively, or as well: wear padded
>mitts.

Marsas also advertise in Arrivee, with a direct mail-order service with a
lower price...
Today is First Saturday, May - a weekend.