Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Harness for baby?

Started by Alfalfa · · Last activity · 6 posts · 1,243 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
6 September 2003
Last activity
8 September 2003
Original author
Alfalfa
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,243
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. As a soon to be father (4 months) I been thinking of ways to carry the baby while riding my road
    bike. I normally ride trails and do stay away from busy streets. I have seen other men carrying
    their baby using a chest harness, but I would like carry the baby on my upper back while riding. Is
    there such a harness or is it a bad idea?

    sheldonbrown.comcarrababy.html I saw/read the contents and the harness does not appeal
    to me at all.

    Thanks.

  2. Quoted message said:

    From: "Alfalfa"

    Quoted message said:

    I would like carry the baby on my upper back while riding. Is there such a harness or is it a
    bad idea?

    Sure, lots of them, for ped. use only. Picture a bad wreck and you tell me. My wife forgot to not
    wrap our dog's leash around her wrist, he pulled her over when she had our two-month old on her
    front in a snugli. No injuries, she still has guilt feelings from landing on our daughter. If you
    pitch forward, what keeps the child in a backpack carrier?

    These things are great: <http://www.babyjogger.com/>

    Later, around 14 months or so, get a trailer you can mount on your bike. Kid is strapped in, so even
    if it goes over, there's protection. --Tom Paterson

  3. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Tom Paterson
    >From: "Alfalfa"

    Quoted message said:

    I would like carry the baby on my upper back while riding. Is there such a harness or is it a
    bad idea?



    Sure, lots of them, for ped. use only. Picture a bad wreck and you tell me. My wife forgot to not
    wrap our dog's leash around her wrist, he pulled her over when she had our two-month old on her
    front in a snugli. No injuries, she still has guilt feelings from landing on our daughter. If you
    pitch forward, what keeps the child in a backpack carrier?

    These things are great: <http://www.babyjogger.com/>

    Later, around 14 months or so, get a trailer you can mount on your bike. Kid is strapped in, so even
    if it goes over, there's protection. --Tom Paterson

    Yeah, leave the kid at home till he/she's big enough to wear a helmet and sit in a trailer. I clipped a curb with my trailer once - whole thing flipped over but kidlet was fine. No way I'd use a harness or even a passenger seat.

  4. In article <GBj6b.125024$xf.83225@lakeread04>,

    Alfalfa said:

    sheldonbrown.comcarrababy.html I saw/read the contents and the harness does not appeal
    to me at all.

    really? check the thread on the burley trailer

    ________________________________

    Remove S.P.A.M in email adddress Climb <at> mac <dot> com
    ________________________________

  5. "Alfalfa" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:GBj6b.125024$xf.83225@lakeread04...

    Quoted message said:

    As a soon to be father (4 months) I been thinking of ways to carry the baby while riding my
    road bike.

    Alfalfa, we have a trailer designed for the bicycle. It attaches to the chainstay via a tongue. It's
    great! It has room for two kids and their toys, food, drinks, etc. It folds away to nothing when not
    in use, though we mostly leave it open when we are using it during periods of nice weather. It's no
    problem at all to tow, especially with a mountain bike. It has all sorts of windows and screens so
    it can be opened up to let the wind in or sealed to keep the elements out. Ours has nice wheels with
    good quality sealed cartridge bearings and it is very easy to tow. From experience, I can highly
    recommend these trailers for an active family.

    Be careful because your newborn will be extremely delicate. I would never take a newborn on
    something as violent as a bicycle, trailer or not. Their bones are still undeveloped and cannot even
    support the weight of the little tike on their own. Honestly, babies and bicycles don't mix.
    Toddlers are another story because I think a bicycle is almost required to entertain these little
    squirming energetic monsters! 🙂

    Dave

  6. Thanks everyone, my wife confirmed your appropriate comments.

    "onefred" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Alfalfa" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:GBj6b.125024$xf.83225@lakeread04...

    Quoted message said:

    As a soon to be father (4 months) I been thinking of ways to carry the


    baby

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    while riding my road bike.

    Alfalfa, we have a trailer designed for the bicycle. It attaches to the


    chainstay via a

    Quoted message said:

    tongue. It's great! It has room for two kids and their toys, food,


    drinks, etc. It

    Quoted message said:

    folds away to nothing when not in use, though we mostly leave it open when


    we are using it

    Quoted message said:

    during periods of nice weather. It's no problem at all to tow, especially


    with a mountain

    Quoted message said:

    bike. It has all sorts of windows and screens so it can be opened up to


    let the wind in

    Quoted message said:

    or sealed to keep the elements out. Ours has nice wheels with good


    quality sealed

    Quoted message said:

    cartridge bearings and it is very easy to tow. From experience, I can


    highly recommend

    Quoted message said:

    these trailers for an active family.

    Be careful because your newborn will be extremely delicate. I would never


    take a newborn

    Quoted message said:

    on something as violent as a bicycle, trailer or not. Their bones are


    still undeveloped

    Quoted message said:

    and cannot even support the weight of the little tike on their own.


    Honestly, babies and

    Quoted message said:

    bicycles don't mix. Toddlers are another story because I think a bicycle


    is almost

    Quoted message said:

    required to entertain these little squirming energetic monsters! 🙂

    Dave

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.