Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

has the shimano 5-spd freewheel-design changed???

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 2 posts · 402 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
24 October 2006
Last activity
24 October 2006
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
402
Views / 30 days
3

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi there,
    last year, I purchased a shimano 5 speed freewheel, screwed it onto my
    maillard hub, put the wheel in my 120mm spaced frame of my 'going to
    the shops' bike and had a year of good fun on that bike. Not long ago,
    I did the same thing (freewheel and chain were worn down), they ordered
    the freewheel for me at the shimano distributor for the benelux.
    However, great was my surprise to notice that now, (seemingly) the same
    freewheel proved to be useless in the same 120mm spaced rear end. I did
    some measuring and it turned out that the newer freewheel, although
    having the same dimensions on the outside, had lesser thread! This
    means that the freewheel sits further out towards the drive side drop
    out and you cannot get the chain onto the smallest sprocket
    anymore....I added some washers to the hub (I accept the risk (if there
    is one), it's my own doing) and it works fine in an 126 mm spaced set
    up (Now of course, I only wish I bought a Megarange 7speed freewheel,
    or wouldnt that screw onto the maillard hub?).
    It seemed worth to mention this (since for instance harris cyclery
    lists those 5 speed freewheels as suited for 120 mm spacing), although
    these things have become kinda obsolete now.

    Maybe someone can shed some further light on this,

    thanks anyway and pardon me for barging in like this.

  2. This is not an uncommon problem; 120 mm freewheels often vary by 1-2
    mm in width. Atom / Normandy freewheels were some of the most narrow;
    Suntour 5-speed freewheels are several mm wider; I have a problem
    running a suntour pro-compe freewheel on an old raleigh, even after
    adding one washer - the outer 14T sprocket is unusable on the suntour,
    and perfectly usable on the atom freewheel.

    I have noticed a similar problem with recent 7-speed sunrace
    freewheels, the one i got was closer to 128mm than to 126mm, and
    requires a very special bicycle in order to work.

    Shimano recently re-engineered their megarange freewheel bodies to
    allow 11T inner sprocket combinations; this re-engineering might be
    what's causing you problems ...

    http://sheldonbrown.com/mega7/

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.