Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Have you ever broke a chain ?

Started by William Hogan · · Last activity · 10 posts · 1,160 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
30 November 2004
Last activity
10 January 2005
Original author
William Hogan
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,160
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am getting back into cycling after a 10 year break.
    I had a bad experience about 10 years ago with a chain braking while I was
    climbing a steep hill.
    Well it nearly broke my family jewels, and it put me off riding.
    I suppose in 10 years things change.
    Do chains still break these days, or are they much stronger ?

    I am still spooked by that incident.
    cheers,

  2. Once about 8 years ago, also on a steep hill. I'd love to claim my power was responsible, but the truth is that I'd bought the bike second hand. I don't know how old it was or how many k's were on it. It hasn't happened since and I haven't heard of it being a common problem. Bike manufcturers would have a liability problem if this was anything but a rare occurence.

  3. William Hogan said:

    I am getting back into cycling after a 10 year break.
    I had a bad experience about 10 years ago with a chain braking while I was
    climbing a steep hill.
    Well it nearly broke my family jewels, and it put me off riding.
    I suppose in 10 years things change.
    Do chains still break these days, or are they much stronger ?

    I am still spooked by that incident.
    cheers,

    They usually don't break if you look after them or replace them if they need replacing.

    I used to break chains and it always ended in pain but it hasn't happened to me in a long time now. I think the thing that most often caused it was me removing the chain with a chain breaker then trying to put the chain back on using the same pin that I'd just removed. The pin would go back in and the chain would work for a while, but not for long enough.

  4. Quoted message said:

    I had a bad experience about 10 years ago with a chain braking while I was
    climbing a steep hill.
    Well it nearly broke my family jewels, and it put me off riding.
    I suppose in 10 years things change.
    Do chains still break these days, or are they much stronger ?

    Probably weaker - the extra gears on most bikes these days mean that
    chains are thinner, they wear more quickly and are more likely to break.
    However, breaking is most likely if your chain drops off the
    chainrings or cluster and jams. Not very likely if you're just riding a
    steep hill, unless it's very worn

    cheers
    Tom
    ----
    Canyoning? try http://ozultimate.com/canyoning
    Bushwalking? try http://ozultimate.com/bushwalking

  5. William Hogan said:

    I am getting back into cycling after a 10 year break.
    I had a bad experience about 10 years ago with a chain braking while I was
    climbing a steep hill.
    Well it nearly broke my family jewels, and it put me off riding.
    I suppose in 10 years things change.
    Do chains still break these days, or are they much stronger ?

    I am still spooked by that incident.
    cheers,


    Snapped a Dura Ace chain whilst climbing a hill. [censored] happens now and then

  6. Tom Brennan said:

    > I had a bad experience about 10 years ago with a chain braking while I was

    Quoted message said:

    climbing a steep hill.
    Well it nearly broke my family jewels, and it put me off riding.
    I suppose in 10 years things change.
    Do chains still break these days, or are they much stronger ?

    Probably weaker - the extra gears on most bikes these days mean that
    chains are thinner, they wear more quickly and are more likely to break.
    However, breaking is most likely if your chain drops off the
    chainrings or cluster and jams. Not very likely if you're just riding a
    steep hill, unless it's very worn

    cheers
    Tom
    ----
    Canyoning? try http://ozultimate.com/canyoning
    Bushwalking? try http://ozultimate.com/bushwalking

    The chains are thinner, but has metallurgy made any strides in the last decade? Composite materials have gotten better, how about steel?

  7. xisle said:

    They usually don't break if you look after them or replace them if they need replacing.

    I used to break chains and it always ended in pain but it hasn't happened to me in a long time now. I think the thing that most often caused it was me removing the chain with a chain breaker then trying to put the chain back on using the same pin that I'd just removed. The pin would go back in and the chain would work for a while, but not for long enough.

    I have to agree. Only time I have broken a chain is in the same circumstance as above. I now use a chain with a "breakable" link so my chain breaking tool is lost deep in the depths of the tool box. :o

  8. Must spook you. My mate had a brand new magnesium Merida with Ultegra groupset and busted his chain climbing the West gate in 2004 ATB. Derrailieur into Ritchie wheel and stuffed his day and nearly ruined the family jewels. had to walk back to his car! Ivanhoe Bikes insisted Shimano replace the busted gear which they did, but still ruined his day and puts the worry up you.

    William Hogan said:

    I am getting back into cycling after a 10 year break.
    I had a bad experience about 10 years ago with a chain braking while I was
    climbing a steep hill.
    Well it nearly broke my family jewels, and it put me off riding.
    I suppose in 10 years things change.
    Do chains still break these days, or are they much stronger ?

    I am still spooked by that incident.
    cheers,

  9. Xisle has identified the main culprit of broken chains. Last night someone came a cropper on the velodrome for exactly the same reason.
    Hang the expense, buy a good chain with breakable link, and replace it regularly. As much as it hurts to fork out the bones of $100 on a new chain, it's nothing compared the pain of hitting concrete at full tilt

  10. William Hogan said:

    I am getting back into cycling after a 10 year break.
    I had a bad experience about 10 years ago with a chain braking while I was
    climbing a steep hill.
    Well it nearly broke my family jewels, and it put me off riding.
    I suppose in 10 years things change.
    Do chains still break these days, or are they much stronger ?

    I am still spooked by that incident.
    cheers,

    G'day William Hogan, I didn't exactly break a chain but I was climbing Mount Tamborine on the Gold Coast and stripped the screw thread on the large sprocket a 22. The crown jewels took a bit of hammering and it brought tears to my eyes for a few minutes but the damage wasn't lasting, and bike rides are meant to be tough anyway?

    I still remember, when I'm off the saddle, and climbing very carefully, once bitten twice shy? Only kidding?

    Keep the wheels in motion, and don't look back, unles it's to see who you dropped on the last climb? TBC

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.