Have you ever...

Phil

Guest
biked to class half asleep and hit something?

Phil, Squid-in-Training

> biked to class half asleep and hit something?
>
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

Was this a squid class? If so, sounds like you're ready to graduate! ;)

Phil wrote:
> biked to class half asleep and hit something?

From class and yes a parked car where I ended up on the hood - no one saw me so only my pride and
bike was harmed and not even a scrath on the car!

Bike was a cheapo 3-speed city thing and I bended the frame causing a steeper steering angle - it
actually rode much better afterwards:)

Regards

Bruno

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 09:10:51 +0000, Phil did issue forth:

> biked to class half asleep and hit something?

Yup. Bloke on the motorbike in front of me came to a stop, I wasn't really with it and ploughed into
the back of him.

"Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> biked to class half asleep and hit something?
>
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

No, but I got hit once. Some guy wasn't paying attention and t-boned me. Luckily no one broke
anything and both bikes were okay, but we were both scraped up and bloody. Had to walk across campus
to the student health center looking like we just got in a fight. The guy felt awful, but I wasn't
mad or anything. I remember seeing the pavement coming at me in slow motion and I was so sure I was
going to be hurt bad. When I realized I was okay I was too happy to be mad at the guy. That was also
the last time I ever rode my bike in flip-flops. Live and learn.

~CG

"Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> biked to class half asleep and hit something?
>
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

I used to ride to class every morning, often very sleepy and/or hung over. I had this old no-name 10
speed I had put wide 3-speed style bars and a basket on as a town bike. Every morning I'd air off
this little burm that was the way around a set of stairs in the sidewalk on campus. It was fun, and
it would wake me up a little. Often my books would lift out of the basket but then fall back in. It
was like a game, or like when you are cooking on the stove and try to flip stuff in the pan and
catch it again like a TV chef would. One time I lost the game and my notebook and text books flew
out of my basket. When I went back to retrieve them I saw they had landed in a big steaming pile of
sloppy, yellowish dog ****. I had a mid-term in Physics that day which was open note (lots of
formulas). So I had to try and clean up my notebook as much as possible and take it with me.
Needless to say nobody tried to cozy up and copy my answers that day!

Matt (ah, memories...)

"JD" <[email protected]> wrote

> > biked to class half asleep and hit something?
>
> Define "asleep". I used to ride my yellow Schwinn Varsity to high school in altered states
> of mind.
>
> JD

Used to?

Pete ok...'used to' WRT to the Schwinn, maybe

"Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > biked to class half asleep and hit something?
> >
> > Phil, Squid-in-Training
>
> No, but I got hit once. Some guy wasn't paying attention and t-boned me. Luckily no one broke
> anything and both bikes were okay, but we were both scraped up and bloody...

That happened to me, except the other guy was driving.

When I'm riding in traffic, I always key on the eyes of drivers. I look at where their eyes are
pointing. If they aren't looking back at me, I don't assume they've seen me.

This kid was looking right at me. He was westbound in his lane, I was eastbound in mine. I was
hauling ass because I was late.

Just as we were about to pass, he turned into me (there was a parking spot he wanted right there). I
hit squarely in the middle of his grill. I flew over his hood, and landed on the pavement. His door
opened, and he looked down at me with an expression exactly like somebody who just woke up.

Bike frame was bent, front wheel totally trashed. The old solid fork was actually fine. It was an
8-year-old Jamis that was completely worn out (campus beater). I was really lucky: no broken bones,
just lots of aches and pains and a renewed distrust of drivers.

His insurance company gave me the cost of a new Jamis Dakota as settlement. I think they would have
given me 20x that amount if I'd seemed letigious.
--
Tom "colledge ken be dangerus" Purvis Salida, CO

"Tom Purvis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > biked to class half asleep and hit something?
> > >
> > > Phil, Squid-in-Training
> >
> > No, but I got hit once. Some guy wasn't paying attention and t-boned me. Luckily no one broke
> > anything and both bikes were okay, but we were both scraped up and bloody...
>
> That happened to me, except the other guy was driving.
>
> When I'm riding in traffic, I always key on the eyes of drivers. I look at where their eyes are
> pointing. If they aren't looking back at me, I don't assume they've seen me.
>
> This kid was looking right at me. He was westbound in his lane, I was eastbound in mine. I was
> hauling ass because I was late.
>
> Just as we were about to pass, he turned into me (there was a parking spot he wanted right there).
> I hit squarely in the middle of his grill. I flew over his hood, and landed on the pavement. His
> door opened, and he looked down at me with an expression exactly like somebody who just woke up.
>
> Bike frame was bent, front wheel totally trashed. The old solid fork was actually fine. It was an
> 8-year-old Jamis that was completely worn out (campus beater). I was really lucky: no broken
> bones, just lots of aches and pains and a renewed distrust of drivers.
>
> His insurance company gave me the cost of a new Jamis Dakota as settlement. I think they would
> have given me 20x that amount if I'd seemed letigious.
> --
> Tom "colledge ken be dangerus" Purvis Salida, CO

Yeah, driving on the road scares me. I'm always going on these "peace loving" Berkeley people. Maybe
I told the story here before, but I was riding up Spruce one day with two friends. For the
non-locals, Spruce is a very popular road for biking. Its all uphill and two lanes but residential
and a little curvy with cars parked on both sides. If you are driving you sometimes have to wait a
bit until you can pass a cyclist.

My friends are riding side by side and I am behind them. A car approaches from behind. My friends
see him and move into single file and get as far over as they can. Its still a bit before he can
pass due to oncoming traffic. When he does pass he yells "Fu**ing A**holes and gives us the bird. He
swerves back in really sharp and almost hits the lead rider.

His bumper sticker said "Hate is not a Family Value". So Berkeley.