UK and Europe · Public discussion

Hawthorn Hedge Cutting time again !!!

Started by Bill · · Last activity · 8 posts · 1,357 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
2 September 2003
Last activity
13 September 2003
Original author
Bill
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,357
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. It must be that time of year again Farmers cutting their hedgerows with the 'tractor hedge cutting
    attachment' and spraying the cuttings everywhere. I just fixed the FIFTH puncture this week on the
    lads bike ...don't you just love it !!! Moan over.

  2. In message <[email hidden]>, Bill <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    It must be that time of year again Farmers cutting their hedgerows with the 'tractor hedge cutting
    attachment' and spraying the cuttings everywhere. I just fixed the FIFTH puncture this week on the
    lads bike ...don't you just love it !!!

    A couple of years ago off-road with a group, our last bridleway of the morning had been temporarily
    diverted by the landowner, along a short narrow path beside a freshly-clipped garden hedge. Some of
    us had to fix six punctures in EACH tyre before we could even leave the pub. It would've been less
    trouble to carry the bl**dy bike along the path!
    --
    Sue ]🙁🙂

  3. e it !!!

    Quoted message said:


    A couple of years ago off-road with a group, our last bridleway of the morning had been temporarily
    diverted by the landowner, along a short narrow path beside a freshly-clipped garden hedge. Some of
    us had to fix six punctures in EACH tyre before we could even leave the pub. It would've been less
    trouble to carry the bl**dy bike along the path!
    --
    Sue ]🙁🙂

    It used to be murder on my old commute from a cul de sac village. When the access road was smegged
    up, thats what I had to do. Walk the offending section carrying the bike. This was before I fell
    into Satan's clutches and was innocent of a driving licence. There was no choice. It was a heavy
    cheapo bike as well.

    I would be amazed if anywhere were worse for the dreaded thorns than, Herefordshire and Shropshire.

    Richard Webb

  4. "RJ Webb" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    e it !!!

    Quoted message said:


    A couple of years ago off-road with a group, our last


    bridleway of the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    morning had been temporarily diverted by the landowner,


    along a short

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    narrow path beside a freshly-clipped garden hedge. Some


    of us had to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    fix six punctures in EACH tyre before we could even leave


    the pub. It

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    would've been less trouble to carry the bl**dy bike along


    the path!

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    --
    Sue ]🙁🙂

    It used to be murder on my old commute from a cul de sac


    village.

    Quoted message said:

    When the access road was smegged up, thats what I had to


    do. Walk the

    Quoted message said:

    offending section carrying the bike. This was before I


    fell into

    Quoted message said:

    Satan's clutches and was innocent of a driving licence.


    There was no

    Quoted message said:

    choice. It was a heavy cheapo bike as well.

    I would be amazed if anywhere were worse for the dreaded


    thorns than,

    Quoted message said:

    Herefordshire and Shropshire.

    Richard Webb

    Carrying the bike did not do me any good. This was a tour in Herefordshire and in the hedge cutting
    season. I was sick & tired of the thorn punctures so when encountering one of these horrible
    tractors head on, we got off - this was in front of the tractor so the driver may have got the idea
    we were not happy with what he was doing. Anyway, we walked for something like 2 km to just past the
    point where he had started his cut. I lowered my bike to the road & found my back tyre was flat and
    yes it was a thorn, but I had carried it all the way through the cut area!! Incidentally, later that
    holiday we hit another stretch of fresh cuttings but there was a road sweeper carefully brushing up
    the debris. Unfortunately he was only collecting the obvious avoidable large lumps and missing the
    short bits that lurk buried in the tarmac.

    --
    IanB

    n.b. Please respond via n.g. but as I subscribe to two large newsgroups I am usually running a
    few days behind on reading threads and so it may be several days before I can respond to any
    n.g. reply

  5. In article said:

    In message <[email hidden]>, Bill <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    It must be that time of year again Farmers cutting their hedgerows with the 'tractor hedge cutting
    attachment' and spraying the cuttings everywhere. I just fixed the FIFTH puncture this week on the
    lads bike ...don't you just love it !!!

    A couple of years ago off-road with a group, our last bridleway of the morning had been temporarily
    diverted by the landowner, along a short narrow path beside a freshly-clipped garden hedge. Some of
    us had to fix six punctures in EACH tyre before we could even leave the pub. It would've been less
    trouble to carry the bl**dy bike along the path!

    From the advert with tyre section and drawing pins in a LBS, what you want is the Schwalbe
    Marathon Plus.

    schwalbe.comindex.pl
    wiggle.co.ukv2 product detail.asp
    wiggle.co.ukv2 product detail.asp

  6. In message <[email hidden]>, Alan Braggins
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:


    From the advert with tyre section and drawing pins in a LBS, what you want is the Schwalbe
    Marathon Plus.

    I hope we'll be hearing from people who try those - ads are one thing, actual user experience
    is another.
    --
    Sue ]🙁🙂

  7. "Sue" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In message <[email hidden]>, Alan Braggins
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:


    From the advert with tyre section and drawing pins in a LBS, what you want is the Schwalbe
    Marathon Plus.


    I hope we'll be hearing from people who try those - ads are one thing, actual user experience is
    another.

    I've got Schwalbe Marathons on my mountain bike (which was my only bike until I got the Horizon).
    Near enough a year of riding throughout Reading including the "cycle facilities" (some of them are
    useful shortcuts on my route into work) - *never* had to repair a puncture on them.

    Alex

  8. In message <[email hidden]>, "Mr R@t
    (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room 2]" <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:


    I've got Schwalbe Marathons on my mountain bike (which was my only bike until I got the Horizon).
    Near enough a year of riding throughout Reading including the "cycle facilities" (some of them are
    useful shortcuts on my route into work) - *never* had to repair a puncture on them.


    Is that the normal Marathons? They have a good reputation.

    --
    Sue ]🙁🙂

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.