Hazard Perception Test - Licence to Print Money

Aushiker

Sep 26, 2007
Hi The following article appeared in The Post, September 10, 2011, Page 3 and was written by Kerry Faulkner
Hannah%252520Miller.png
Mosman Park school girl Hannah Miller (17) says WA’s licensing laws are designed to make money for the state government not to help young people be better drivers. She wrote to the POST in frustration after failing her computer-simulated hazard perception test for a third time. A spokesman for the Department of Transport said Hannah was among 3818 people who had had to resit the test. At $20 each, that was an income of $76,000. The test is Hannah’s final step in the long process to qualify as a P-plate driver. She has logged 30 hours practical driving with her mother Margaret. She had spent close to $500 on driving lessons and various licences and tests. But she cannot get over the final hurdle which is the test designed to test a driver’s reactions to hazards on the road. She is frustrated that she cannot find out where she is going wrong, particularly as she has scored so highly in the practice tests both at home and at the licensing centre. She has passed all her other phases first time, including her practical driving test. “On the second paper I received after my test I was given very little feedback about where I could improve but was told I could resit the next day,” she said. “Once I got home I reread my 115-page learner driver book and pondered on what may have caused my failure. “The next day I paid and resat the test. “I was more confident but once again was unsuccessful. “This time I asked how I could improve to pass, but was told they did not know. “As a student in the western suburbs I am concerned for people who do not have the time or money to continuously sit this tedious test in which they receive no feedback. “Observing other road users, I do not think the majority of West Australians holding older licences would pass it. “What about those people who have incompetent computer skills?” She said the Department of Transport had said she could have a staff member present while she did the test if she failed five times. Hannah has written to Transport Minister Troy Buswell with her complaint. A department spokesman said 26,898 people sat the test last year, reaping $537,960. He said the department would not comment on test results of individual candidates, but if a person failed any part of the process then it was fair to assume they were not yet ready to drive without an instructor.
If you wish to respond to the article you can via the The Post website. A strong response should help make it clear that hazard perception is very important in saving lives. Regards Andrew

If the Australian hazard perception test is anything like the one iin the UK, it will be rubbish. Hazard perception is extremely important, but the test in the UK involves only clicking a mouse every time a hazard appears during a video clip. A lot of very experienced Police drivers have failed it for clicking too early, clicking too often, etc. Passing the test, as my daughter has done, is not an indicator of being a safe driver - she is awful!

You folks from the UK and Australia will be happy to know that very few, if any, drivers here have to take a hazard perception test, or anything resembling it. It's something that we cyclists here in the US are forced to realize way too often. Here, driving tests are as challenging as successfully completing a 25 piece puzzle with no time limit.