Head mounted lights

genxsis

Aug 10, 2005
What do you guys think of using a light that you mount on your head (or helmet) instead of mounted on a bicycle? Since my bike was stolen, along with the mount for my light--rendering my light useless, I've been thinking of this as an idea. I no longer like mounting things directly to my bike, thus giving theives more chances to steal things. But I've never seen anyone use head mounted lights around here. Do any of you use them, and what do you think of them?

genxsis said:
What do you guys think of using a light that you mount on your head (or helmet) instead of mounted on a bicycle? Since my bike was stolen, along with the mount for my light--rendering my light useless, I've been thinking of this as an idea. I no longer like mounting things directly to my bike, thus giving theives more chances to steal things. But I've never seen anyone use head mounted lights around here. Do any of you use them, and what do you think of them?
Lots of people use them here in Seattle as the winter days are short, but the weather is mild enough that we can still ride. Helmet mount is my standard method of lighting during my early morning and late night commuting in the dark. Works great and I would not go back to a bike mounted headlight. You can use the light for any bike , point the light whereever you look which makes it useful in seeing the keyhole in your lock, and you don't have to worry about it being stolen off of the bike, and it is fairly light. Downside is that it will decrease the ability of others to see you if you are not looking straight ahead and you have to be careful not to blind other people directly by shining your light directly in their face.

shannons dad said:
I'll agree with John on this one, unless you're looking in the right direction at the right time, you might be missed and squished. Topeak do the Whitelite and Redlite lights. The mounting brackets are integrated into the lights and are quick release so you can take the lot with you. I use them and can't complain about them.

http://www.topeak.com/products/light_006.html

http://www.topeak.com/products/light_004.html
Those lights look like a good alternative. Has the idea I have in mind: taking the whole thing with you. I also like the idea of being able to use 1 light for any bike, rather than buying a seperate light for each bike. I currently have 3.