Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

headset and bottom bracket for touring bike.

Started by Hedberg · · Last activity · 11 posts · 828 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
15 April 2003
Last activity
18 April 2003
Original author
Hedberg
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
828
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've ordered a touring frame from Bob Jackson and am deciding on components to use. For a headset
    I'm leaning towards the threaded Stronglight A9 which is cheap (maybe $20 or so) and has replaceable
    roller bearings and race washers. For a crank, I'm thinking about Campy (other than Record) triple
    which would use one of the inexpensive (less than $20) Campy BBs.

    Does anybody have thoughts about the reliability, durability, serviceability of the Stronglight A9?
    How about the inexpensive Campy BBs? These BBs seem to be available with steel axles and cups or
    with alloy cups and a hollow axle. Is there any advantage in this application for alloy cups or a
    hollow axle?

    thanks for any thoughts one way or another.

    Harold

  2. "Hedberg" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've ordered a touring frame from Bob Jackson and am deciding on components to use. For a headset
    I'm leaning towards the threaded Stronglight A9 which is cheap (maybe $20 or so) and has
    replaceable roller bearings and race washers. For a crank, I'm thinking about Campy (other than
    Record) triple which would use one of the inexpensive (less than $20) Campy BBs.

    Does anybody have thoughts about the reliability, durability, serviceability of the Stronglight
    A9? How about the inexpensive Campy BBs? These BBs seem to be available with steel axles and cups
    or with alloy cups and a hollow axle. Is there any advantage in this application for alloy cups or
    a hollow axle?

    thanks for any thoughts one way or another.

    We buy ACH crank bearing assemblies with aluminum cups usually but we'll accept chromed steel cups
    to get the sizes we need on any given day. We almost never get not-hollow spindles. They all work
    fine and are inexplicably similar in price.

    --
    Andrew Muzi yellowjersey.orgyellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

  3. What is "ACH"?

    "A Muzi" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    We buy ACH crank bearing assemblies with aluminum cups usually...

  4. Hedberg said:

    Does anybody have thoughts about the reliability, durability, serviceability of the
    Stronglight A9?

    In my experience, it's excellent. The bike with the Stronglight is now 17 years old, and has many,
    many thousands of miles on it, including lots of loaded touring. I've replaced the bottom bearings
    only once, and very quickly.

    --
    Frank Krygowski [email hidden]

  5. Jeff said:

    What is "ACH"?

    "A Muzi" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    We buy ACH crank bearing assemblies with aluminum cups usually...


    I believe that "ACH" is the Campy model designation for the alloy cupped bottom bracket (the "A"😉
    with the hollow ("H"😉 axle. "SCS" is a comparable BB with steel cups and solid axle. I don't know
    what the C is for unless it's actually AC for alloy cup and SC for steel cup. The third model is
    the "ACS".

    My understanding is that these are the BBs for all the triple cranks in the Campy line other than
    the Record which is about twice as expensive as the next in the line.

    Harold

  6. Frank Krygowski said:
    Hedberg said:

    Does anybody have thoughts about the reliability, durability, serviceability of the
    Stronglight A9?

    In my experience, it's excellent. The bike with the Stronglight is now 17 years old, and has many,
    many thousands of miles on it, including lots of loaded touring. I've replaced the bottom bearings
    only once, and very quickly.

    Thanks for the word on this. I have a bike with an American Classic trilock headset (which is no
    longer made but still available) and I like the ability to inject grease without opening the
    headset, but the touring bike will have cantilever brakes and I don't see how to mount a hanger. I'm
    sure the A9 will work out just fine.

    Thanks again

    Harold

  7. hhedberg-<< How about the inexpensive Campy BBs?

    We install a bunch of them and they are smooth, well made..

    << Is there any advantage in this application for alloy cups or a hollow axle?

    Just weight-

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  8. (Qui si parla Campagnolo) said:

    hhedberg-<< How about the inexpensive Campy BBs?

    We install a bunch of them and they are smooth, well made..

    << Is there any advantage in this application for alloy cups or a hollow axle?

    Just weight-

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

    Thanks for the info. Installation appears to be pretty easy, too. That's a good thing.

    Harold

  9. Hedberg said:

    I've ordered a touring frame from Bob Jackson and am deciding on components to use. For a headset
    I'm leaning towards the threaded Stronglight A9 which is cheap (maybe $20 or so) and has
    replaceable roller bearings and race washers. For a crank, I'm thinking about Campy (other than
    Record) triple which would use one of the inexpensive (less than $20) Campy BBs.

    Does anybody have thoughts about the reliability, durability, serviceability of the Stronglight A9?
    How about the inexpensive Campy BBs? These BBs seem to be available with steel axles and cups or
    with alloy cups and a hollow axle. Is there any advantage in this application for alloy cups or a
    hollow axle?

    thanks for any thoughts one way or another.

    Harold

    If you are doing extended tours, and will be riding in all weather, then you may wish to consider a
    threadless set up. Since you are having the bike custom bult, getting correct bar height and
    adjustablity is not an issue, and with threadless you will be able to service/adjst the headset on
    the road if neccessary.

    Bob

  10. Quoted message said:

    "A Muzi" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    We buy ACH crank bearing assemblies with aluminum cups usually...

    "Jeff" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    What is "ACH"?

    It's the less expensive model Campagnolo crank bearing assembly. The others are Chorus and Record.

    --
    Andrew Muzi yellowjersey.orgyellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

  11. I haven't bought campy in years. Never did like their attemps at appeasing the touring market.

    BUT I do have the Stronglight A9 on my touring bike. So far, it's given me about 28,000 miles of
    trouble free service (original bearings).

    Yes, i would certainly recommend it.

    May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills! Chris

    Chris'Z Corner "The Website for the Common Bicyclist": geocities.comczcorner

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.