headset spacer question

jrstevens

Dec 22, 2004
I am purchasing a new bike soon that has a longer headtube (~20mm) than my current bike. I would however like to maintain a similar handlebar height. My current headset has a 25mm conical type spacer but for my new bike I would prefer one of those headsets where the stem appears to rest right on the headtube. How is this achieved? Are there specific headsets for this approach? TIA,

James

jrstevens said:
I am purchasing a new bike soon that has a longer headtube (~20mm) than my current bike. I would however like to maintain a similar handlebar height. My current headset has a 25mm conical type spacer but for my new bike I would prefer one of those headsets where the stem appears to rest right on the headtube. How is this achieved? Are there specific headsets for this approach? TIA,

James
A couple thoughts.

There are some "zero" stack headsets available out there depending if it's a conventional or integrated headset.
http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...ntegrated&vendorCode=RITCHEY&major=1&minor=16

Ok it's 7mm of stack, but you get the idea.

You could also try a stem with a 73 deg (-17) rise which will be parallel to the ground as opposed to the more conventional 80-84 degree rise. Obviously in a shorter stem it doesn't account for much of a difference but in the 130 length I use, it's sigificant.

Personally, I like a 5mm spacer above my stem to keep the stem from crushing the top of the steerer. Most compression plugs have a threaded cap that aren't a snug fit inside the steerer. But that's just my HO.

PeterF said:
Personally, I like a 5mm spacer above my stem to keep the stem from crushing the top of the steerer. Most compression plugs have a threaded cap that aren't a snug fit inside the steerer. But that's just my HO.

SOP from the C'Dale rep I know.

PeterF said:
A couple thoughts.

There are some "zero" stack headsets available out there depending if it's a conventional or integrated headset.
http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=Headset+Zero+Pro+Integrated&vendorCode=RITCHEY&major=1&minor=16

Ok it's 7mm of stack, but you get the idea.

You could also try a stem with a 73 deg (-17) rise which will be parallel to the ground as opposed to the more conventional 80-84 degree rise. Obviously in a shorter stem it doesn't account for much of a difference but in the 130 length I use, it's sigificant.

so I take it I'm looking for a headset with low stack height. Any other models aside from Ritchey out there to choose from?

JS

jrstevens said:
When in doubt (as suits your wallet & sensibilities), for "standard" (that is, vs. "hidden") head tubes, get a Chris King, FSA, or Campagnolo headset.

You can MOVE the headset to any future frames you buy which uses the same size steerer.

capwater said:
SOP from the C'Dale rep I know.
I'm surprised more bike, fork and stem manufacturers don't push for it too. Not to mention if you ever need to raise the stem, you have a little extra room.