Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Headset tightening on its own

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 8 posts · 591 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
12 January 2007
Last activity
13 January 2007
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
591
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Almost went down when I suddenly couldnt keep the bike stable.
    Examined and found that Headset was way too tight and this happened as
    I was riding, probably more gradually than I was aware. Steerer is too
    tight to rotate on its ow and squeaks when handlebars forced side to
    side. I know how to tighten a headset and this was not the situation
    when I started my ride.
    ..
    This is a CX bike with a C King headset, nonintegrated one inch. I
    have canti brake cable hanger at the botton of the stack underneath
    some spacers, which I suspect is involved in this somehow.

    Any tips on how this happened and how I might avoid it? Also, I had
    to ride it for a few minutes by slaloming side to side - did this
    likely trash the headset?
    Thanks

  2. Quoted message said:

    Almost went down when I suddenly couldnt keep the bike stable.
    Examined and found that Headset was way too tight and this happened as
    I was riding, probably more gradually than I was aware. Steerer is
    too tight to rotate on its ow and squeaks when handlebars forced side
    to side. I know how to tighten a headset and this was not the
    situation when I started my ride.
    .
    This is a CX bike with a C King headset, nonintegrated one inch. I
    have canti brake cable hanger at the botton of the stack underneath
    some spacers, which I suspect is involved in this somehow.

    Any tips on how this happened and how I might avoid it? Also, I had
    to ride it for a few minutes by slaloming side to side - did this
    likely trash the headset?
    Thanks

    You haven't specified if this is a threaded or threadless headset. If this
    is a threadless headset, self-tightening is nearly impossible.

    --
    Phil

  3. Quoted message said:

    Almost went down when I suddenly couldnt keep the bike stable.
    Examined and found that Headset was way too tight and this happened as
    I was riding, probably more gradually than I was aware. Steerer is too
    tight to rotate on its ow and squeaks when handlebars forced side to
    side. I know how to tighten a headset and this was not the situation
    when I started my ride.
    .
    This is a CX bike with a C King headset, nonintegrated one inch. I
    have canti brake cable hanger at the botton of the stack underneath
    some spacers, which I suspect is involved in this somehow.

    Any tips on how this happened and how I might avoid it? Also, I had
    to ride it for a few minutes by slaloming side to side - did this
    likely trash the headset?
    Thanks

    Take it apart - King headsets are very simple. My guess is you'lll
    find a mangled bearing.

    -Vee

  4. Quoted message said:

    Almost went down when I suddenly couldnt keep the bike stable.
    Examined and found that Headset was way too tight and this happened as
    I was riding, probably more gradually than I was aware. Steerer is too
    tight to rotate on its ow and squeaks when handlebars forced side to
    side. I know how to tighten a headset and this was not the situation
    when I started my ride.
    .
    This is a CX bike with a C King headset, nonintegrated one inch. I
    have canti brake cable hanger at the botton of the stack underneath
    some spacers, which I suspect is involved in this somehow.

    Any tips on how this happened and how I might avoid it? Also, I had
    to ride it for a few minutes by slaloming side to side - did this
    likely trash the headset?
    Thanks

    If threadless, yes, the force of the cable stop can put a lot of
    pressure on the bearings. Get a cable stop with a set screw, to prevent
    up and down movement of the cable hanger.

  5. It is threadless.

  6. Steer tube cracked about half inch above lower race. How will I know
    if this caused damage to the frame, ie., head tube?

    Quoted message said:

    It is threadless.

  7. Quoted message said:

    Steer tube cracked about half inch above lower race. How will I know
    if this caused damage to the frame, ie., head tube?

    Quoted message said:

    It is threadless.

    It probably didn't, but look things over very carefully. I'd look for
    cracks around the lower headcup, just because I'm finicky.

    You said it was a 'cross frame, but you didn't state brand or material.
    It'd be helpful to know brand and material of the fork, too, but it
    sounds like the steer tube broke right at its most-stressed point. Be
    thankful you're alive.

    Jeff

  8. JeffWills said:

    ... Be
    thankful you're alive.

    Jeff

    Good point Jeff. There's allot of things that probably can be done to
    safeguard
    threadless. They seem the way to go otherwise, so I need to learn more
    about
    them. Learning things already from this thread I didn't know.

    I usually hear open end warnings, but very little preventive details.

    Thanks

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.