Heart gone mad or what?

mali

Jun 1, 2003
I have started training on a wind trainer at home. I use a heart monitor. I am a novice, with lots of zeal but not much knowledge.
my questions:
1. is it normal a irregular heart rate, e.g. I may be training at 160 bpm and all of a sudden the HRM jumps to 177 stays there for a second and then jumps back to 160. is this normal? at first I thought is was the HRM, but my hubby also uses it, and it does not happen to him.

2. sometimes after training on the trainer, i have chest pains, but it feels like muscles not heart... I know the heart is one big muscle.... but I am not sure . This weekend past, when I woke up i could hardly move because of the pain in my chest area. Could I Be pushing it a bit much on the trainer? I can be very zealous.

In watching the HRM today, I pick up some arrihythmia on the HRM like it misses a beat or something.
I dont have heart problems, and am 32 years, and healthy.
Should I worry?should I Just not overdo it?

Has anyone experienced it?? please spare me a trip to the doctor!!
thanks

Originally posted by mali
please spare me a trip to the doctor!!
thanks

This is your heart! It's a fairly vital organ! Go and see a doctor.

Often HRM's have little spikes and poor data, and this can vary from person to person etc. but if you have any doubts (which you obviously do have) then you should get yourself checked out. How do you know you don't have heart problems? Because you haven't had a heart attack?

Preferably you should get an exercise ECG - I think these are even cumpulsory for getting racing licences in some countries.

Could be interference from something in the immediate area. I find that power lines and even car alarms can send the heart rate through the roof. Do a bit of trial and error with the electrical items in the area.

I have started training on a wind trainer at home. I use a heart monitor. I am a novice, with lots of zeal but not much knowledge.
my questions:
1. is it normal a irregular heart rate, e.g. I may be training at 160 bpm and all of a sudden the HRM jumps to 177 stays there for a second and then jumps back to 160. is this normal? at first I thought is was the HRM, but my hubby also uses it, and it does not happen to him.

2. sometimes after training on the trainer, i have chest pains, but it feels like muscles not heart... I know the heart is one big muscle.... but I am not sure . This weekend past, when I woke up i could hardly move because of the pain in my chest area. Could I Be pushing it a bit much on the trainer? I can be very zealous.

In watching the HRM today, I pick up some arrihythmia on the HRM like it misses a beat or something.

thanks

Good to see that you are taking your training to the windtrainer.
I used to experience chest pain like the kind that you describe when i was a junior during a year that i really had upped my mileage. As a cardiovascular technologist, i also see many adolescents come into the stress testing lab with similar pain.

What you may be experienceing is a cramping of your intercostal muscles. This is fairly common in adolescents because their ribcages are expanding and if htey are fairly active, then their intercostal (between the ribs) muscles get stretched. Along with heavy breathing during athletic activity, these muscle are recieving a constant contraction interspersed with the stretchng during growing. This cause s them to cramp. This tends to be more of an adolescent problem, but you mentioned that you were a novice with a fair bit of zeal towards training. The only reason this would apply to you would be that fact that your lung capacity may be increasing, causing these muscle to stretch.

Best bet is to see a doctor and remove all doubt as to whether or not this chest pain is heart related or muscular. Your description of your heart rate jumping up then down leads me to tell you to see a doc.
good luck
taras

my questions:

thanks

Better not mess around, get in and have a stress test workup from your doctor.
If your HRM can download to a PC and create graphs, send me the graph called "Scatterogram" if it has that capability, The Polar software can plot them. Chest pains can be serious at any age until they are confirmed to be something other than heart related like anxiety attacks etc.