Heart rate monitor for us clydes

r32nj

Jul 12, 2010
I purchased a Garmin Edge 500 and their "premium" heart rate monitor. Problem is the heart rate monitor is just too tight on my 265lb body. I emailed Garmin to ask if any sort of extension for the strap is available (it isn't) or if the "standard " heart rate monitor might fit better (they suggested that it would be worse).

So, are their any other solutions that will communicate with the Edge 500? Something larger from another manufacturer or perhaps something I could wear on another part of my body (wrist perhaps)?

I'm not familiar with the Garmin, I use a Polar fully extended it's still a bit snug on my #260 frame. You might consider replacing or extending the elastic portion of the strap on your existing unit, I suspect it would be less expensive than trying to find a compatible unit with a larger strap.

How might I go about doing this? The Garmin strap has the sensors built in (at the ends of the strap) with snaps to attach to the wireless transmitter. So I would have to have to cut the elastic strap to add an additional section in the middle. Is this something a clothing tailor might be able to do?

Yes, I would consider finding the right spot to insert the additional strrap so that any stiching would not irritate the skin. I'm certain any tailor could handle the alteration. If you (or spouse) is handy with a needle and thread I might try the DIY approach.

Regards,
George

r32nj said:
How might I go about doing this? The Garmin strap has the sensors built in (at the ends of the strap) with snaps to attach to the wireless transmitter. So I would have to have to cut the elastic strap to add an additional section in the middle. Is this something a clothing tailor might be able to do?

Yup. It's dead simple.