Heart rate on turbo against on the road

martpr6

Dec 29, 2003
Hi,

I've only recently started cycling seriously, and what with the bad weather in the UK, I bought a Tacx Swingtrainer to train indoors on.

I've been working through the beginner workouts in the Lance Armstrong/Chris Carmichael book, and have seen real improvements in my strength/indurance on the turbo. The workouts are daily (apart from one day off), and vary in length between 30mins and 90mins - but all between 65% and 70% of MHR.

I just took my new Scott road bike out on the road for the first time, and although I felt I was spending less effort than on the turbo, I couldn't get my heart rate below about 75% MHR !! It was pratically 80% all the way.

Is this normal? What should I do? Use a lower cadence or gear on the road? Not worry and keep to my normal 80ish cadence?
I'm confused! (and a little disheartened!). I'm worried I'm going to burn myself out outdoors, yet also worried that i may as well get off an push to keep my heart rate at below 70%!

I'd welcome any advice.
Many thanks,
Martyn

Believe your experience is entirely normal. Consider that your trainer effort isn't going to match road loads perfectly; your perceived effort is lower on the road since you're actually going somewhere; and, first time on the road with a new bike would tend to elevate anyone's HR.

Outside, recommend you keep your cadence, but just use lower gears and slow down to keep the HR in line. Just monitor your HR where you want it, and forget watching your speed. Slight elevation changes (ie, +/-1%) and slight winds will affect your speed by a full mph or more anyway. The speed will come on it's own if you just continue the smart training.

I applaud your disciplined training program. But remember there will be daily physical variations in your HR at exactly the same loads. At any rate, a session or two a week at 80% HR should be good for you, although understand that may be a bit harder than you want to work now.

Thanks dhk.

To be honest, it was bit of a scary ride - which I'm sure added some heart beats! The chain slipped a gear a couple fo times, and actually came off at one point.
I've also got a small left hand, which had trouble reaching the front gear lever.

As you can gusee, the bike is now back at my LBS getting the brake cables swapped round, and the gearing tweaked.
Oh the joys of a new bike!

Anyway, I assume that even though the turbo is easier than the road, that I am benefitting from a base building point of view by still working at 65-70%MHr on the turbo? Even though it's just the quads that are working.

I do find that when I'm in the drops on the tubo that my HR does rise by about 5% - which backs up your theory.

Mart

Understand the need for some tuning on the new bike; I'm sure they will get it sorted out for you. I have a new one also, and noticed everything started to feel better around the 100 mile point. Don't know if it's just me getting used to the bike, or actually some break-in effects, but the seat, ride, and shifting all felt better past the 100 mile point.

My SRAM chain came with a rather thick grease which made for some high drag in the colder (6-10*C) temps here now. I've cleaned and lubed it, which helped, but it will still need another hundred miles of break-in to be free running.

I'm sure the turbo sessions are benefitting you. I have an old Blackburn Trakstand trainer with the squirrel cage fan which I rode today at 65% HR. I think that's a fine level for base training. With the hills here, I like to do my harder training on the road. I find it easier and more fun to push the effort when actually out riding rather than stuck on the trainer.