General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

heart rate, pace, temperature, and finding the right training zone

Started by Dave D · · Last activity · 12 posts · 1,269 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
14 June 2004
Last activity
16 June 2004
Original author
Dave D
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,269
Views / 30 days
8

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Gang,

    Over the past 10 years or so I've been in a happy rut of
    training at about the same effort most of the time and
    racing at about the same pace. I finally have a bit more
    time to train, so I'm attempting to be more scientific about
    adding miles and maybe finally getting one of those coveted
    Peach Tree mugs and possibly a Boston qualifier.

    My previous base pattern was to run about 2-4 times per
    week, once or twice for 2.5 miles and the remainder 5-7
    miles. My estimated max heart rate is between 190 and 195
    based on self-performed max effort tests. I'm in my mid 40s.
    When preparing for a 10K I'll up the mileage and do
    intervals once a week or so. Preparing for a marathon I'll
    do more miles (rarely more than
    25/week) and do long runs ramping up to 22 miles or so 3
    weeks before. I'm a huge believer in tapering, preferring
    to run hard one week before a race and then not all until
    the race. At my low mileage, time off seems to help a lot
    before a big event. I partially make up for the
    insufficient mileage by having enough sense to cut back
    during a race if my goal becomes unreasonable and just be
    happy to finish. My 10K PB is 43:53 and for the marathon
    it's just under 4:00 (8:58 pace). My current focus is to
    get my marathon pace down to 8:00 for a Boston qualifier,
    if not by this December then by next year.

    Up to now, I figured that since I had so many days off it
    made sense to do all my runs fairly hard. Now that I'm
    running more often I've been keeping the easy days (all but
    2/week) to 2.5 or 5 miles or so at approx 145 BPM, or about
    9:00 pace. It seemed almost silly to go this slowly at
    first, but it certainly is easier on my joints and is
    pleasant enough, so I have been doing this for a few months.
    Now that it's getting hot, however, it's about impossible to
    keep running at this low HR. I decided to see what an easy
    pace, equivanent to 145BPM and about 9:00 per mile at 65
    degrees, translates to at 80 degrees. The answer seems to be
    150 ramping up to 160 by the end. This is slightly slower
    than my cool weather pace but feels like about the same
    effort, both during and after the run.

    Now I understand that heat puts extra burden on the cardio
    system and leads to increased heart rate for similar
    effort. I am also sure that heat doesn't raise the max
    heart rate, it just imposes a sort of overhead burden. My
    question is: what is an approprate training level for easy
    days? This leads to the question: what is the point of easy
    days? My guess is that easy days let you get some miles on
    the legs (do SOME new muscle damage), while simultaneously
    allowing damage from recent hard training to heal without
    undully stressing the other systems. On the other hand,
    maybe considerations such as lactate threshold are well
    estimated based solely on heart rate, and easy days really
    should be run at this low heart rate even if it forces
    walking. Bor-ing!

    Clearly temperature changes the relative load on the various
    systems (leg muscles, cardio, lungs). It reminds me of the
    little running I did in the mountains of New Mexico: I ran
    as hard as my lungs would let me, but my legs has a lactic
    acid jones on all week.

    My inclination is to let my heart rate creep up on the
    easy days, letting the days be just as easy on my legs but
    maybe into the next HR zone. I'm interested in opinions on
    the matter.

    Ideas?

    Dave

  2. Quoted message said:

    Now I understand that heat puts extra burden on the cardio system and leads
    to increased heart rate for similar effort. I am also sure that heat
    doesn't raise the max heart rate, it just imposes a sort of overhead burden.
    My question is: what is an approprate training level for easy days? This
    leads to the question: what is the point of easy days?

    Run your easy days at 70% of max, even when it's hot
    (meaning you'll be running even slower). The point is to
    lower your aerobic threshold and build endurance.

    Quoted message said:

    My inclination is to let my heart rate creep up on the easy
    days, letting the days be just as easy on my legs but maybe
    into the next HR zone.

    The idea behind the monitor is to keep your effort <below> a
    certain intensity. You're back to running by perceived
    effort. Why bother with a heart rate monitor at all?

    I've run with a monitor for the last several years and feel
    I am running much better. I don't wear it on "hard" days
    very often. Running trails at elevation (6200-8000) feet
    makes it pretty easy to keep my heart rate up on those days.

    Richard

  3. dave d wrote in message ...

    Quoted message said:

    Gang,

    Over the past 10 years or so I've been in a happy rut of
    training at about the same effort most of the time and
    racing at about the same pace. I finally have a bit more
    time to train, so I'm attempting to be more scientific
    about adding miles and maybe finally getting one of those


    coveted

    Quoted message said:

    Peach Tree mugs and possibly a Boston qualifier.

    My previous base pattern was to run about 2-4 times per
    week, once or twice for 2.5 miles and the remainder 5-7
    miles. My estimated max heart rate is between 190 and 195
    based on self-performed max effort tests. I'm in my


    mid

    Quoted message said:

    40s. When preparing for a 10K I'll up the mileage and do
    intervals once a week or so. Preparing for a marathon I'll
    do more miles (rarely more than
    25/week) and do long runs ramping up to 22 miles or so 3
    weeks before. I'm a huge believer in tapering,
    preferring to run hard one week before a race and then
    not all until the race. At my low mileage, time off
    seems to help a lot before a big event. I partially
    make up for the insufficient mileage by having enough
    sense to


    cut

    Quoted message said:

    back during a race if my goal becomes unreasonable and just
    be happy to finish. My 10K PB is 43:53 and for the marathon
    it's just under 4:00 (8:58 pace). My current focus is to
    get my marathon pace down to 8:00 for a Boston qualifier,
    if not by this December then by next year.

    Up to now, I figured that since I had so many days off it
    made sense to do all my runs fairly hard. Now that I'm
    running more often I've been keeping the easy days (all but
    2/week) to 2.5 or 5 miles or so at approx 145 BPM, or about
    9:00 pace. It seemed almost silly to go this slowly at
    first, but it certainly is easier on my joints and is
    pleasant enough, so I have been doing this for a few
    months. Now that it's getting hot, however, it's about
    impossible to keep running at this low HR. I decided to see
    what an easy pace,


    equivanent

    Quoted message said:

    to 145BPM and about 9:00 per mile at 65 degrees, translates
    to at 80 degrees. The answer seems to be 150 ramping up to
    160 by the end. This is slightly slower than my cool
    weather pace but feels like about the same effort, both
    during and after the run.

    Now I understand that heat puts extra burden on the cardio
    system and leads to increased heart rate for similar
    effort. I am also sure that heat doesn't raise the max
    heart rate, it just imposes a sort of overhead


    burden.

    Quoted message said:

    My question is: what is an approprate training level for
    easy days? This leads to the question: what is the point of
    easy days? My guess is that easy days let you get some
    miles on the legs (do SOME new muscle damage), while
    simultaneously allowing damage from recent hard training to
    heal without undully stressing the other systems. On the
    other hand, maybe considerations such as lactate threshold
    are well estimated based solely on heart rate, and easy
    days really should be run at this low heart rate even if it
    forces walking. Bor-ing!

    Clearly temperature changes the relative load on the
    various systems (leg muscles, cardio, lungs). It reminds me
    of the little running I did in the mountains of New Mexico:
    I ran as hard as my lungs would let me, but my


    legs

    Quoted message said:

    has a lactic acid jones on all week.

    My inclination is to let my heart rate creep up on the
    easy days, letting the days be just as easy on my legs but
    maybe into the next HR zone. I'm interested in opinions on
    the matter.

    Ideas?

    Dave


    To me there are 3 basic levels I train at:

    First, 4 times a week for 0:40 to 1:30 I run or cycle at
    moderate intensity. For me this is HR 135-150 (my max HR is
    about 190 for running and 185 for cycling). This is for
    aerobic base conditioning - training the heart-lung and
    basic circulatory system and teaching the body to
    efficiently feed the muscles while exercising. My intensity
    for these efforts is based on feel and the response I'm
    getting from my HR. If my HR responds quickly and I feel
    fresh, I go a bit harder (closer to 150), except for the
    long run or bike when I hold back a little.

    Second, two days a week I like to do either active rest or
    full rest. Active rest would be about HR 115 to 130, and can
    be easy cycling, incline treadmill walk, or a slow jog. The
    main benefit of active rest is to assist recover by getting
    some circulation through the body without stressing it.
    Usually the body is much happier if you don't take a full
    day off but do something because its so used to it, and it
    helps you recover.

    Third, would be a speedwork day, which is aimed at making
    you faster with better endurance for racing. The intensity
    of this effort depends on your lactate threshold (LT).
    Basically your LT is the highest consistent effort level
    you can sustain for about one hour, and it will vary as
    you train it or stop training it. The goal is to find your
    current LT and then train at it or slightly above it with
    intervals, tempo runs, or fartlek workouts. Some weeks I
    will do more than one day with LT like efforts, but that's
    usually unintentional when I'm bike riding up a very steep
    hill or something. LT work, like max HR is sport and
    muscle specific (so my biking LT work only carries over
    some to running).

    You won't get much faster without LT work, and you won't get
    much faster working hard but below your LT either. That is,
    its very possible to run hard with virtually no more benefit
    than running at your aerobic pace, while doing a great deal
    of muscle damage to your legs in the process. For example,
    my current running LT is about HR 165, and what I consider
    (based on feel and experience) to be my optimal aerobic
    training pace is HR 145. If I train at HR 150-160, it wears
    my legs out but does very little to make me faster because
    its not quite high enough to actually push up my LT. I call
    this the junk zone and avoid it whenever possible.

    There are many ways to do LT training, and some do slightly
    more intense training called VO2max intervals as well. In
    the past I've done LT intervals of 4-5 mins at 100 to 103%
    of current LT, with about 2 mins rests, repeated from 3 to 6
    times depending on my ability that day. Some prefer slightly
    longer intervals. I also like the fartlek run because its
    more creative and fun. You speed up and slow down with some
    long sustained efforts and some rest in between. When I'm
    doing fartlek, I make sure my HR rises above the junk zone
    into the LT zone during the efforts. There are so many ways
    to do speedwork you have to find what works for you. Usually
    my LT will rise from about where it is now (165) to the mid
    to upper 170s after a couple of months of speed training.

    To estimate your current LT, you can simply record your avg
    HR during a 10k race in which you're going as hard as you
    can for the distance. If your time is 50+ mins then the avg
    HR during the race is likely very close to your LT. If your
    time is less than that, then your LT might be slightly lower
    than your avg HR during the race. For a 5k race usually your
    avg HR will be higher than your LT by a bit more than a 10k
    because a 5k is more anaerobic, but it can still give you an
    idea. For me, I measure it during interval training. I do at
    least 4 efforts at what I guess is my LT and then "read" my
    recovery between sets, my ability to reach the same HR on
    the next set, and my ability to recover over the next few
    days. I make note then adjust my target. After only 6
    sessions you should see your LT and your speed improve. Of
    course there are many other ways to find your LT. Good luck
    and stay out of the junk zone.

    - Tony

  4. Tony said:

    LT work, like max HR is sport and muscle specific (so my
    biking LT work only carries over some to running).

    This is something I've been wondering about - cross-over
    effects of various training.

    Wouldn't the cardiovascular effects of LT training
    carry over fairly strongly where the same muscle groups
    are involved?

    Cardio effects, if I understand it correctly, include
    such things as
    1. increased heart size
    2. increased blood volume
    3. increased number and size of mitochondria as well as
    enzyme changes
    4. increased number of capillaries

    Neuromuscular system effects
    5. increased strength of muscles, tendons
    6. increased power (although not as much as if you were
    doing drills to promote power)
    7. increased coordination

    Specifically at LT and above
    8. ability to clear lactate in muscles

    At my level of ignorance, I'd expect:

    1 and 2 to be independent of whatever activity you're doing

    3 and 4 to have similar effects if using the same muscles,
    that is, running and biking might have a fair amount of cross-
    over (leg oriented), swimming would have less cross-over
    (esp. if weak kick), and xc skiing might cross-over with
    running for the legs (but skiing has more upper body demands
    than running)

    5, 6, and 7 to depend strongly on the activity (specificity
    in training)

    8 to be like 3 and 4 - effects depend on muscles used, but
    not necessarily used in same manner. That is LT on bike
    might cross over reasonably well for running - at least
    with regards to lactate clearing (but not for
    neuromuscular effects).

    Or is there physiology that would make very little of 1-4
    and 8 cross over from mt biking or plyometric-like drills to
    running? I haven't read that much about the mechanisms of
    what happens, so I may be approaching this very naively.

    I seldom do "speed" work where a person is going faster to
    have effort level above LT. However, I usually do "hard"
    workouts (close to LT or above), close to once a week much
    of the year when running consistently
    (ie. not during field season) - but they might be steep
    hills (running or mt biking), breaking trails with xc
    skis or snowshoes, cross-training class, etc. That
    is, I'm usually going slower in hard workouts than
    regular ones, but effort level is greater. In cross-
    training, we have drills which include high steps,
    butt kicks, skipping, single-legged hopping (forward
    and backward for everything to here), jumping over
    mats (forward and sideways), etc in a rapidly moving
    line led by instructor. That is, keep up with group
    or be run over (or step out for a moment so you don't
    barf on his mats).

    Because all these activities have strong leg
    components, I've been assuming I'm getting the bulk of
    the cardio benefits of LT training, but not the
    specificity for running.

    Or have I been working under false assumption?

    Dot

    --
    "Success is different things to different people" -Bernd
    Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

  5. "dave d" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    My previous base pattern was to run about 2-4 times per
    week, once or


    twice

    Quoted message said:

    for 2.5 miles and the remainder 5-7 miles. My estimated
    max heart rate is between 190 and 195 based on self-
    performed max effort tests.

    Quoted message said:

    ... Now that I'm running more often I've been keeping the
    easy days (all but 2/week) to 2.5 or 5 miles or so at
    approx 145 BPM, or about


    9:00 pace.

    Quoted message said:

    It seemed almost silly to go this slowly at first, but it
    certainly is easier on my joints and is pleasant enough,
    so I have been doing this for


    a

    Quoted message said:

    few months.

    That's 74% of your maximum output -- I consider this to be a
    medium effort.

    My max is 192 and I cruise at 130-135 pulse all the time on
    my easy days. It's the base mileage + the particular mixture
    of speed work that gets you to your potential. Recovery days
    at 67-70% max hr. may seem like junk miles, but they keep
    the base up, and get you ready for your next hard workout.

    If you want to improve, you probably need to increase your
    base mileage (and remove the hard days while you're doing
    it!). After you've notched up your mileage for 6-8 weeks,
    gradually reintroduce hard workouts.

    Now that it's getting hot, however, it's about
    impossible to

    Quoted message said:

    keep running at this low HR. I decided to see what an
    easy pace,


    equivanent

    Quoted message said:

    to 145BPM and about 9:00 per mile at 65 degrees,
    translates to at 80 degrees. The answer seems to be 150
    ramping up to 160 by the end.

    That is a hard workout, really a Lactate Threshold type run.

    Quoted message said:

    My inclination is to let my heart rate creep up on the
    easy days, letting the days be just as easy on my legs but
    maybe into the next HR zone. I'm interested in opinions on
    the matter.

    Accept the fact that you go slower in hot weather -- still
    use effort (%hr) as your guide.

    -- Dan

  6. Dot wrote in message ...

    Quoted message said:
    Tony said:

    LT work, like max HR is sport and muscle specific (so my
    biking LT work only carries over some to running).

    This is something I've been wondering about - cross-over
    effects of various training.

    Wouldn't the cardiovascular effects of LT training carry
    over fairly strongly where the same muscle groups are
    involved?

    Cardio effects, if I understand it correctly, include such
    things as
    1. increased heart size
    2. increased blood volume
    3. increased number and size of mitochondria as well as
    enzyme changes
    4. increased number of capillaries

    Neuromuscular system effects
    5. increased strength of muscles, tendons
    6. increased power (although not as much as if you were
    doing drills to promote power)
    7. increased coordination

    Specifically at LT and above
    8. ability to clear lactate in muscles

    At my level of ignorance, I'd expect:

    1 and 2 to be independent of whatever activity you're doing

    3 and 4 to have similar effects if using the same muscles,
    that is, running and biking might have a fair amount of cross-
    over (leg oriented), swimming would have less cross-over
    (esp. if weak kick), and xc skiing might cross-over with
    running for the legs (but skiing has more upper body
    demands than running)

    5, 6, and 7 to depend strongly on the activity (specificity
    in training)

    8 to be like 3 and 4 - effects depend on muscles used, but
    not necessarily used in same manner. That is LT on bike
    might cross over reasonably well for running - at least
    with regards to lactate clearing (but not for neuromuscular
    effects).

    Or is there physiology that would make very little of 1-4
    and 8 cross over from mt biking or plyometric-like drills
    to running? I haven't read that much about the mechanisms
    of what happens, so I may be approaching this very naively.

    I seldom do "speed" work where a person is going faster to
    have effort level above LT. However, I usually do "hard"
    workouts (close to LT or above), close to once a week much
    of the year when running consistently
    (ie. not during field season) - but they might be steep
    hills (running or mt biking), breaking trails with xc
    skis or snowshoes, cross-training class, etc. That is,
    I'm usually going slower in hard workouts than regular
    ones, but effort level is greater. In cross-training,
    we have drills which include high steps, butt kicks,
    skipping, single-legged hopping (forward and backward
    for everything to here), jumping over mats (forward
    and sideways), etc in a rapidly moving line led by
    instructor. That is, keep up with group or be run over
    (or step out for a moment so you don't barf on his
    mats).

    Because all these activities have strong leg
    components, I've been assuming I'm getting the bulk of
    the cardio benefits of LT training, but not the
    specificity for running.

    Or have I been working under false assumption?

    I think you've done more reading about it than me, and I
    think your assumptions are correct. There is some carryover
    from LT training on the bike to running, and I've been
    sucessful doing this in the past. It takes less time to get
    into peak form with running LT workouts if you've done them
    on the bike first for a while. You still have to put in a
    good month of running speedwork to gain the full benefit.
    Also, running uses the hamstrings much more than cycling,
    and cycling uses the quads - in my exeperience they are not
    as similar as you might think.

    The other thing is if your goal is running, cycling too much
    can easily overdevelop your legs and that will slow you
    down. One way to combat this is to cycle always with a high
    cadence and easier gears. For trail runners cycling probably
    helps because you need stronger quads anyway...

    - Tony

    Quoted message said:


    Dot

    --
    "Success is different things to different people" -Bernd
    Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

  7. Dan Stumpus wrote in message ...

    Quoted message said:


    "dave d" <[email hidden]> wrote


    .........

    Quoted message said:

    Now that it's getting hot, however, it's about
    impossible to

    Quoted message said:

    keep running at this low HR. I decided to see what an
    easy pace,


    equivanent

    Quoted message said:

    to 145BPM and about 9:00 per mile at 65 degrees,
    translates to at 80 degrees. The answer seems to be 150
    ramping up to 160 by the end.

    That is a hard workout, really a Lactate Threshold
    type run.

    Or worse, its a 'junk' zone run - not quite high enough to
    train LT, but high enough to do too much damage for
    regular training.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    My inclination is to let my heart rate creep up on the
    easy days, letting the days be just as easy on my legs
    but maybe into the next HR zone. I'm interested in
    opinions on the matter.

    Accept the fact that you go slower in hot weather -- still
    use effort (%hr) as your guide.

    I agree that you have to slow down in hot weather to account
    for the general system fatigue that will accumulate if you
    train at too high an effort. That being said, I think there
    can be some allowance for cooling, without letting the HR
    creep up too high. My rule of thumb is to allow my HR to
    creep about 5 bpm when its very hot or hot/humid, but still
    I have to slow down some.

    - Tony

  8. "Tony" <qtrader2@(remove)hotmail.com> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Dan Stumpus wrote in message ...

    Quoted message said:


    "dave d" <[email hidden]> wrote


    .........

    Quoted message said:

    Now that it's getting hot, however, it's about
    impossible to

    Quoted message said:

    keep running at this low HR. I decided to see what an
    easy pace,


    equivanent

    Quoted message said:

    to 145BPM and about 9:00 per mile at 65 degrees,
    translates to at 80 degrees. The answer seems to be 150
    ramping up to 160 by the end.

    That is a hard workout, really a Lactate Threshold
    type run.

    Or worse, its a 'junk' zone run - not quite high enough to
    train LT, but high enough to do too much damage for
    regular training.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    My inclination is to let my heart rate creep up on the
    easy days,


    letting

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the days be just as easy on my legs but maybe into the
    next HR zone.


    I'm

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    interested in opinions on the matter.

    Accept the fact that you go slower in hot weather --
    still use effort


    (%hr)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    as your guide.

    I agree that you have to slow down in hot weather to
    account for the


    general

    Quoted message said:

    system fatigue that will accumulate if you train at too
    high an effort. That being said, I think there can be some
    allowance for cooling, without letting the HR creep up too
    high. My rule of thumb is to allow my HR to creep about 5
    bpm when its very hot or hot/humid, but still I have to
    slow down some.

    - Tony


    Thanks for all the replies. I see the wisdom in staying away
    from LT most of the time, but am still trying to figure out
    just where that line is. I have read quite a few places that
    the LT/HR relationship changes with temperature, but have
    not seem much specific written about how much. I saw a quote
    from Lance Armstrong today on the subject, and he said that
    he watches the HR but in the end listens to his legs. That's
    what I've been trying to do since it got hot. Based on some
    unanticipated soreness Monday I think that I guessed a
    little high Sunday. I'll back off a bit more, maybe to this
    last +5 BPM recommendation, and see what happens.

    Dave

  9. dave d said:

    Thanks for all the replies. I see the wisdom in staying
    away from LT most of the time, but am still trying to
    figure out just where that line is.

    Why not just use conversational effort for your easy runs?
    Based on my interpretations of readings, it seems like
    breathing and LT are more directly connected than hr and LT.
    When your conversation gets choppy and just a couple words
    at a time, you're probably in LT zone. When you're gasping,
    you're above it.

    Quoted message said:

    I saw a quote from Lance Armstrong today on the subject,
    and he said that he watches the HR but in the end listens
    to his legs.

    Legs work, as does breathing and other body signs. Heart
    rate is a convenient way of quantifying things and
    logging data.

    Dot

    --
    "Success is different things to different people" -Bernd
    Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

  10. Tony said:

    I think you've done more reading about it than me, and I
    think your assumptions are correct.

    Actually, it's been more a matter of trying to figure out
    appropriate training when most training is during Alaska
    winter (running on most kinds of snow is different than
    running on dirt) and race opportunities are usually in May
    before field season kicks into full swing. Standard training
    schedules didn't work that well for me. It's very rare that
    I've been able to do a simple running race (exactly one to
    date after 3 yrs, and the last 2 were cancelled) and there's
    usually been a bike component to about half my races so far
    (duathlon, winter tri). Other events have been snowshoe
    running and orienteering.

    Quoted message said:

    Also, running uses the hamstrings much more than cycling,
    and cycling uses the quads - in my exeperience they are not
    as similar as you might think.

    True, but uphill and downhill running (typically 10-30%
    slopes on my trails) also emphasize different muscles than
    flat running, although LT may not be a big issue with
    downhill running as it is with uphill.

    Quoted message said:


    The other thing is if your goal is running, cycling too
    much can easily overdevelop your legs and that will slow
    you down.

    I've used it mostly as rehab (achilles) in the past, and
    there's a fun trail duathlon early in the season that I've
    been able to do a couple times.

    Quoted message said:

    One way to combat this is to cycle always with a high
    cadence and easier gears.

    I'll do that when biking to work or cruising streets, but
    it's not realistic on trails where the slopes can be up to
    30%, but I usually stick to the 10-15% ones after having
    been almost bucked off a steeper one when front wheel popped
    up. I go with the easy gears, but it's not exactly a high
    cadence 😉

    Quoted message said:

    For trail runners cycling probably helps because you need
    stronger quads anyway...


    agreed.

    Thanks for your comments.

    Dot

    --
    "Success is different things to different people" -Bernd
    Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

  11. point of easy days? i train with a HM and easy days are for
    your tendons / lig / joints to 'catch up' with your muscles
    on your hard days. I call easy days active resting. It is in
    rest that your heal not while your run your butt off. Your
    body needs those day to recover . It helps also in not
    overtraining. I did train in Glorietta MN and let me tell
    you that was H*ll . i agree that walking is boring . I
    thought so untill i started ultras now part of my trains
    goes into Walking if you can believe that. hope this helps
    OH i read that LT ( wish i could find it) is right about 75%-
    78% of maxHR. I train at 75-78 on easy days plodzilla

    Quoted message said:

    Gang,

    Over the past 10 years or so I've been in a happy rut of
    training at about the same effort most of the time and
    racing at about the same pace. I finally have a bit more
    time to train, so I'm attempting to be more scientific
    about adding miles and maybe finally getting one of those
    coveted Peach Tree mugs and possibly a Boston qualifier.

    My previous base pattern was to run about 2-4 times per
    week, once or twice for 2.5 miles and the remainder 5-7
    miles. My estimated max heart rate is between 190 and 195
    based on self-performed max effort tests. I'm in my mid
    40s. When preparing for a 10K I'll up the mileage and do
    intervals once a week or so. Preparing for a marathon I'll
    do more miles (rarely more than
    25/week) and do long runs ramping up to 22 miles or so 3
    weeks before. I'm a huge believer in tapering,
    preferring to run hard one week before a race and then
    not all until the race. At my low mileage, time off
    seems to help a lot before a big event. I partially
    make up for the insufficient mileage by having enough
    sense to cut back during a race if my goal becomes
    unreasonable and just be happy to finish. My 10K PB is
    43:53 and for the marathon it's just under 4:00 (8:58
    pace). My current focus is to get my marathon pace down
    to 8:00 for a Boston qualifier, if not by this December
    then by next year.

    Up to now, I figured that since I had so many days off it
    made sense to do all my runs fairly hard. Now that I'm
    running more often I've been keeping the easy days (all
    but 2/week) to 2.5 or 5 miles or so at approx 145 BPM, or
    about 9:00 pace. It seemed almost silly to go this slowly
    at first, but it certainly is easier on my joints and is
    pleasant enough, so I have been doing this for a few
    months. Now that it's getting hot, however, it's about
    impossible to keep running at this low HR. I decided to
    see what an easy pace, equivanent to 145BPM and about 9:00
    per mile at 65 degrees, translates to at 80 degrees. The
    answer seems to be 150 ramping up to 160 by the end. This
    is slightly slower than my cool weather pace but feels
    like about the same effort, both during and after the run.

    Now I understand that heat puts extra burden on the cardio
    system and leads to increased heart rate for similar
    effort. I am also sure that heat doesn't raise the max
    heart rate, it just imposes a sort of overhead burden. My
    question is: what is an approprate training level for easy
    days? This leads to the question: what is the point of
    easy days? My guess is that easy days let you get some
    miles on the legs (do SOME new muscle damage), while
    simultaneously allowing damage from recent hard training
    to heal without undully stressing the other systems. On
    the other hand, maybe considerations such as lactate
    threshold are well estimated based solely on heart rate,
    and easy days really should be run at this low heart rate
    even if it forces walking. Bor-ing!

    Clearly temperature changes the relative load on the
    various systems (leg muscles, cardio, lungs). It reminds
    me of the little running I did in the mountains of New
    Mexico: I ran as hard as my lungs would let me, but my
    legs has a lactic acid jones on all week.

    My inclination is to let my heart rate creep up on the
    easy days, letting the days be just as easy on my legs but
    maybe into the next HR zone. I'm interested in opinions on
    the matter.

    Ideas?

    Dave

  12. gentolm said:

    OH i read that LT ( wish i could find it) is right about
    75%-78% of maxHR.

    I thought LT was closer to about 85-90% max hr (80-85% using
    Karvonen).

    Quoted message said:

    I train at 75-78 on easy days

    That makes sense. Does that suggest that 75-78% in 1st line
    (for LT) may have been a typo??

    Dot

    --
    "Success is different things to different people" -Bernd
    Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.