I know we've discussed this recently and in the distant past. In fact, I
recall a thread on this newsgroup between Mike Tennent and I back in '98.
Go here for some interesting talk - http://tinyurl.com/6s2ue
My question below still remains unanswered.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:What I'm wondering though, is when training in all this heat are
you ever able to really train at a level that would go along with
your predicted race time (if the race is run at cooler temps)?
I would think that ideally (though maybe not possible) you would
want to train in conditions that would be similar to your goal
race. While I'm training for the Chicago marathon which most
likely will not be held in temps higher than 70 degrees (usually
in the 50's), what advantage do I have in training in 80 degree
temps over those that have trained in 70 degree temps? The only
advantage I can see is that if an indian summer occurs during race
day and it actually is 80+ degrees (I'm not sure if that has ever
happened in Chicago in October). Those that have been able to
training in conditions closer to what will actually occur during
the race will have an advantage over me because they will be able
to put in more quality work. Granted, my HRM tells me that I'm
putting in a quality session, albeit 30 sec/ml slower than normal.
I did a tempo run yesterday while it was 93°F (96° heat index). 21 minute
warmup, 45 minutes at tempo pace, 28 minute cooldown (11 miles total). My
normal tempo pace (based on my HR) was slowed by more than a minute per
mile. During the cooldown my HR never would get into the cooldown zone. I
would have to find some shade and start walking in order to cooldown. So
I finished the run while staying in the low end of LT zone.
So I'm still wondering if running in these conditions is hurting or
helping me to perform at my best in much cooler temps. Some people
believe that it's like altitude training, but I disagree. I think the
only possible advantage I may have is that if there is a heat wave in
Chicago on October 10th.
Statistical weather data for Atlanta, GA shows that the warmest days are
from June 1 to August 10, with an average high of 88°. So if I can
survive through mid August, I'll be happy. Soon we'll be discussing
winter running clothing again. ;-)
Phil M.
--
If you can empty your own boat
Crossing the river of the world,
No one will oppose you,
No one will seek to harm you. -Chuang Tzu