Helmet Question - Making a Return to MTB

Losiho

Jul 8, 2009
Gidday guys. My first post here after lurking for a while.

I'm getting back into the MTB scene after a long break.

Along with my bike, my helmet has been stored in a garage / shed for around 9 years. My helmet, a Met Anaxagore, was manufactured in 1999. Do helmets have an expiry date ? I've heard that the foam can go "off" over time, but the helmet has never been exposed to outside UV rays over the years (nor has it ever been "used").

Should I go for a new helmet to be on the safe side ? My dealer has the Specialized S Works - looks cool, super light weight, but the $300+ price is a little hard to swallow :rolleyes: The same goes for the Bell Sweep and Giro Ionos - great looking helmets, but the prices are a joke. And they are no lighter than my Anaxagore at 280g.

Lastly - when I took my break years ago, it was "de rigueur" for mountain bikers to have peaks / visors on their helmets - is it "dorky" for an MTBer to be seen wearing a "roadie" helmet ? :)

Cheers

Read replacement information here:
When to Replace a Helmet?

If you decide to replace it, buy a helmet based on what you are going to consistently wear and not based on the price. As long as they are both standards rated, a $30 helmet offers as much protection as a $300 helmet. Most newer MTB helmets offer a removable visor, but again, buy what you will wear.