Helmet: Yes Or No?

Haha, there is such a thing as too many hills especially when you're riding with a kid. :)

I almost always ride with a helmet these days now that I know what a TBI can do to someone's life and those around them but even still what is better than that first Spring day on a quiet, carless country lane without a helmet. I do it a couple times per year and the other riders usually stare at me like I am doing something illegal or something but I live in a Nanny State

I wear a helmet 100% of the time. On the MTB I would not even THINK about riding without one.

However on the road bike... I'm torn. Chances are an accident with a motor vehicle is going to result in far more injuries than a helmet will prevent. I've been in 4 accidents, 3 without a helmet, one with. One of the three accidents with a helmet resulted in a TBI, the one accident with a helmet also resulted in a TBI.

Many of the 14 documented concussions I've had were with a helmet of one kind or another. I feel that with a helmet I'm apt to take more risks, resulting in more, and worse, incidents.

So I'm not sold on the helmet, but I wear one.

If I was going downhill sure, the helmet is a necessity, but for a recreational situation I really don't think it's that important. For kids yeah though, all the time.

There's no question for me. Since I'm just starting a helmet is not optional. I may rethink my secession later on, but for now its a must.

There's no question for me. Since I'm just starting a helmet is not optional. I may rethink my secession later on, but for now its a must.

Pretty sure it's law here in NJ but Ive never worn one which I acknowledge is pretty stupid. Google bicycle head injuries and then maybe reconsider?

While I am not opposed to wearing one,
I have yet to find one that didn't fit.

special ordering in my size is cost prohibitive.

I have had several bad crashes and feel that my helmet saved my life. When I was racing I slid out in a turn and smashed my head extremely hard into the concrete. The helmet was cracked by my head was not. I would recommend wearing a helmet every time that you ride. Even when you least expecting it accidents can happen.

Weed said:
Oh yeah? Bet you never rode in Manayunk! The [/size]Manayunk Bike Race
Lots of places I haven't ridden but where I do ride is almost all hill, actually mountains.

I do believe that one must be very careful about what you wear and what you don't. It is also important that one learns to get through the condition if you are not using a helmet. It is important in every sense.

I've said this before, but if I helmet does nothing more than save you from getting a bit of road rash on ya head, then they're worth wearing,

Helmet will not help you in surviving head on collision with 18 wheeler, that's for sure, but it might save you trip to hospital and few stiches when cabbie cuts you off In the city.
I never owned helmet for very long time, then roads started to be really busy, few friends during fast group rides hit $hit all over still got concussions, but looking at their bleeding heads got me thinking: if that would be me I would got really messed up, happened twice and I bough my first helmet. Since then helmet saved me twice: once head on crash where I still ended up with massive concussion and stiches on my head despite the helmet ( I would not be writing this post without helmet that day) Second time road race crash helmet was busted completely, no concussion that time.

Should they be mandatory? NO NO NO its up to you, and only up to you if you want to wear one.

I just don't see the drawback. I get made fun of by my employees for it, but they are idiots.

Especially now that they are so light and comfortable, the benefits just outweigh the downside.

531Aussie said:
I've said this before, but if I helmet does nothing more than save you from getting a bit of road rash on ya head, then they're worth wearing,
Yes! I agree 100%. It's so much better to be prepared for anything.

It really depends whether I am going to be riding for a long time. Sometimes I feel I should not even think about it, and just put it on no matter HOW far I go.

kana_marie said:
Your head doesn't care whether you're a n00b or have a clue when you fall off. You will fall off at some point and chances are it'll be either cause by something you didn't spot or something that didn't spot you. Either way, it's not something you plan in advance for.

When you do get better you'll need to remove the gimp tape to breathe better. Just sayin'...