Helmets With Internal "Bug Nets"?

ToddTaylor

Jun 18, 2003
On nearly every ride I've gone on this summer, some kind of bug has managed to fly into my helmet and drive me nuts. Yesterday, it was a big, fat yellow bumble-bee that got stuck as I was half-way up a hill with a car following me :eek:

Are there any helmets out there that have internal 'bug/hair nets'? In the 'old days', styra-foam helmets used to have Lycra covers that went over the vent holes so bugs never got in.

I've thought about wearing some kind of hair-net just to make sure that any bugs that get into my helmet don't stink my noggin', but it'd be much nicer if someone just made a helmet with such a netting, perhaps between the foam layer and the plastic shell.

I have seen one helmet by Spiuk (the Nexion) that has an internal hair net, but I can't seem to find any online store where I can actually purchase it :(

Cycling News recently did a review on the Spuik Nexion:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2005/reviews/spiuk_nexion

Producto241-106.jpg

Yeah, I think that's happened to evryone at some time or another Todd...

I was riding with a Mate a while back and up ahead we spotted a Jogger making like a cross between Michael Jackson and Bruce Lee...whilst running really really fast...then seconds later we realized it was a swarm of Bees...it was too late to stop or do a U-Turn...and I could swear a couple flew into my Helmet...it's a real bugger trying to stop and get your Helmet off at the same time...

Are Spiuk Helmets available in the US?? If so, I want one! The first time I ever saw one was in the TDF....

Have you noticed also that from the back some Helmets look like Alien faces? Two Big eyes and a mouth...quite comical when you see a whole team wearing them from the rear....well, it was to me anyway...

ToddTaylor said:
On nearly every ride I've gone on this summer, some kind of bug has managed to fly into my helmet and drive me nuts. Yesterday, it was a big, fat yellow bumble-bee that got stuck as I was half-way up a hill with a car following me :eek:

Are there any helmets out there that have internal 'bug/hair nets'? In the 'old days', styra-foam helmets used to have Lycra covers that went over the vent holes so bugs never got in.

I've thought about wearing some kind of hair-net just to make sure that any bugs that get into my helmet don't stink my noggin', but it'd be much nicer if someone just made a helmet with such a netting, perhaps between the foam layer and the plastic shell.

I have seen one helmet by Spiuk (the Nexion) that has an internal hair net, but I can't seem to find any online store where I can actually purchase it :(

Cycling News recently did a review on the Spuik Nexion:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2005/reviews/spiuk_nexion

Producto241-106.jpg

I thought one of the Bell helmets had a bug screen in it, but I can't seem to find it on their site. It was something I saw in the LBS, so maybe it was something they created.

-Matt

ToddTaylor said:
Are there any helmets out there that have internal 'bug/hair nets'?
I think one or more models of Met helmet (Ippogrifo?) have a bug net. In the end, I decided against this one because I use a helmet-mounted light for night riding and didn't want to cut up the bug net to attach the light (velcro straps through the holes of the helmet).

roshea said:
I think one or more models of Met helmet (Ippogrifo?) have a bug net. In the end, I decided against this one because I use a helmet-mounted light for night riding and didn't want to cut up the bug net to attach the light (velcro straps through the holes of the helmet).

LAS helmets come with bugnets.

I did some research on this last night and found that quite a few manufacturers actually make helmets with 'bug screens' in them:
So far, I think the Shain helmet might be the one I buy. Apparently the bug screen in the front vents is actually made of metal which helps strengthen the helmet in addition to block bugs. From the review I read, the Shain helmets are still very light, and I prefer the metal screen over a cloth one so I don't accidentally tear the screen and end-up with a worthless bug screen!

However, Shain helmets also seem hard to find online, but not as hard to find as the Spiuk.

It also appears as thought the "notify me of email responses to this thread" doesn't work for dookie on these forums :eek:

I have been riding the Spiuk helmet since July. The bug nets work great, especially since I have no hair to block the bugs from getting in the helmet..
The extra bonus is that it is by far the best fitting helmet I ever put on my head. I put on my old Giro andBell to go mountain bikign this fall and realized how uncomfortable they really were. I got my Spiuk thru dpm sports. www.dpmsports.com. They are the importor but they sold me a helmet direct.

After looking at all the European helmets that have bug-nets (listed above) and better fit systems than Bell, Giro, and most of the other common brands, I don't understand why bike shops like Nashbar, Performance, SuperGo, etc., only carry the brands without the bug sheilds and the poor fit for lots of money???

:confused:

Jaguar27 said:
Yeah, I think that's happened to evryone at some time or another Todd...

I was riding with a Mate a while back and up ahead we spotted a Jogger making like a cross between Michael Jackson and Bruce Lee...whilst running really really fast...then seconds later we realized it was a swarm of Bees...it was too late to stop or do a U-Turn...and I could swear a couple flew into my Helmet...it's a real bugger trying to stop and get your Helmet off at the same time...

Are Spiuk Helmets available in the US?? If so, I want one! The first time I ever saw one was in the TDF....

Have you noticed also that from the back some Helmets look like Alien faces? Two Big eyes and a mouth...quite comical when you see a whole team wearing them from the rear....well, it was to me anyway...

tried one and didn´t like it - mind you I´m bald and crop or shave the rest depending on the season so this may just be a personal thing .

hate the bug thing though ......

It seems like almost all the Euro based helmets and especially the ones that aren't sold in the US have bug nets, many as part of an alternate internal pad. Not sure why the US ones don't have them, unless the EPA doesn't want the bugs to be harmed slamming into them.

If you don't have any hair I don't know why you would need one, the less hair the better the bugs flow through, though some helmets are definitely better than others for bug traffic flow.

mises said:
It seems like almost all the Euro based helmets and especially the ones that aren't sold in the US have bug nets, many as part of an alternate internal pad. Not sure why the US ones don't have them, unless the EPA doesn't want the bugs to be harmed slamming into them.

If you don't have any hair I don't know why you would need one, the less hair the better the bugs flow through, though some helmets are definitely better than others for bug traffic flow.

not that many helmets here have nets as far as I´ve seen in use or in the shops / mags .
re the lycra covers ; haven´t seen them in years - they look dumb but would help keep one´s head warmer in the winter , could try clingfilm ( sarin wrap ? ) I suppose .

Yes. There are many styles, colors and brands to choose from at dx.com ...Direct from China. DX stands for deals extreme and they're really good bargains. I've purchased several items with no security problems and usually arrive within 2 weeks. Just type in "insect net helmet" and you'll get a selection. Hope this helps.

RJJACKSON said:
Yes. There are many styles, colors and brands to choose from at dx.com ...Direct from China. DX stands for deals extreme and they're really good bargains. I've purchased several items with no security problems and usually arrive within 2 weeks. Just type in "insect net helmet" and you'll get a selection. Hope this helps.
But what guarantee is there that the helmets meet the appropriate standards, and what happens to the customer who gets a helmet that's defective? That customer certainly does not go to his LBS to be taken care of right away.

Fine. You go ahead and pay 3x-4x the price if you choose. It's a free world...so far...on the Net. I've personally never had a problem with a helmet...so it's risk vs. reward. Is that a giant white slug?

RJJACKSON said:
Fine. You go ahead and pay 3x-4x the price if you choose. It's a free world...so far...on the Net. I've personally never had a problem with a helmet...so it's risk vs. reward. Is that a giant white slug?
Wow. I asked questions that you apparently opted not to answer. They were really simple, straight forward questions that only you would have had answers for since I've not heard of anyone else buying helmets where you purchased yours. I have no clue what your reference to a white slug is about.

Originally Posted by RJJACKSON .

Hey, I'm a big cheapskate, but not when it comes to protecting my head. So, yes, I'll chose to pay for a decent helmet of known quality. I use Bell helmets, and trust that the one I buy will exceed minimum safety requirements. I'm willing to pay extra to get that assurance of quality that Bell or another major brand gives me. Besides, spending $50-$100 on a helmet doesn't seem like a lot to me, about the cost of a cassette or set of tires. I'll buy a cheap jersey from Nashbar or Performance on sale, but a $20 no-name helmet....no thanks.

Of course, even a cheap helmet is better than no helmet.

Originally Posted by alienator .

Wow. I asked questions that you apparently opted not to answer. They were really simple, straight forward questions that only you would have had answers for since I've not heard of anyone else buying helmets where you purchased yours.

I have no clue what your reference to a white slug is about.
Believe the white slug is a reference to your avatar.....some people just don't understand art.

dhk2 said:
Believe the white slug is a reference to your avatar.....some people just don't understand art.   
Yes, apparently some need to check off more selections on classic movie lists.

Anyone ever heard of a "bee keepers net" style of face/head covering? Some areas the knats/flys are so bad on slow climbs. Seems a great option would be an attachment for a bee keepers netting over the bike helmet.