Road Cycling · Public discussion

Help finding a suitable touring frame? (long)

Started by Paul Myron Hobson · · Last activity · 33 posts · 1,211 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
26 July 2007
Last activity
1 August 2007
Original author
Paul Myron Hobson
Posts
33
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,211
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–33 of 33
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. R. Brickston said:

    ...
    It thought he was looking for a semi-long distance touring bike. The cross
    geometry isn't going to be that comfy, imo. Plus I wonder what the higher
    BB does for handling.

    I find comfort is optimum with the bottom bracket 15 to 20-cm above
    the height of the seat. No problems with handing either above 5-kph.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
    The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

  2. Luigi de Guzman said:

    On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 16:14:15 +0000, landotter wrote:

    <discussion on trail snipped>

    Kogswell Cycles has a handy front-end geometry/trail calculator on their
    website:

    http://www.kogswell.com/geo.php

    And here is a link to a discussion of trail and it's effects from Tom
    Kellogg, who really knows whereof he speaks:

    http://spectrum-cycles.com/612.htm

  3. Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Buy a cyclocross bike and be happy. The entry-level CX bikes, especially
    the ones from North American makers, are supremely versatile: sturdy,
    responsive, not too heavy, and yet they mostly have mounts for racks and
    fenders.

    RBrickston said:

    It thought he was looking for a semi-long distance touring bike. The cross
    geometry isn't going to be that comfy, imo. Plus I wonder what the higher
    BB does for handling.

    I guess the best way to describe what I want is a very sporty, drop-bar
    commuter that will act mostly as a practical road bike the majority of
    the time, and a light tourer a couple of times a year.

    By "light tourer" I mean either two or three day trips from Atlanta to
    Birmingham (destination: parents' pantry) or the Bike Ride Across
    Georgia (BRAG), which is fully supported over 7 days.

    \\paul

  4. Paul Myron Hobson said:
    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Buy a cyclocross bike and be happy. The entry-level CX bikes, especially
    the ones from North American makers, are supremely versatile: sturdy,
    responsive, not too heavy, and yet they mostly have mounts for racks and
    fenders.

    RBrickston said:

    It thought he was looking for a semi-long distance touring bike. The cross
    geometry isn't going to be that comfy, imo. Plus I wonder what the higher
    BB does for handling.

    I guess the best way to describe what I want is a very sporty, drop-bar
    commuter that will act mostly as a practical road bike the majority of
    the time, and a light tourer a couple of times a year.

    By "light tourer" I mean either two or three day trips from Atlanta to
    Birmingham (destination: parents' pantry) or the Bike Ride Across
    Georgia (BRAG), which is fully supported over 7 days.

    \\paul

    Surly Pacer? clearance for 28mm tires with fenders, much much more
    upright & sporty than any of the tourers, and probably cheaper than
    equivalent "club bikes" (Independent Fabrications Club Racer, for
    instance, or the Heron Road or Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen or Ramboulliet)

    --
    Luigi de Guzman
    http://ouij.livejournal.com

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,

    RBrickston said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Paul Myron Hobson said:

    landotter wrote:
    > I'd be more concerned with wheelbase and trail than BB height with
    > light touring. Paul seems to want something a bit more sporty than
    > your run of the mill heavy tourer. Thus his musings on bikes like the
    > Cross Check.

    Correct. During my continuing recovery, this bike, would probably see
    75% use commuting, 25% riding for the hell of it (fast, maybe). Once
    cleared from the Doc, commuting goes back to the SS, so this bike would
    see >80% sporty stuff and <20% light touring (optimistically).

    My thinking is that I'll keep the fork long and handle bars higher for
    now. When I'm ready, I'll move them down for a sportier feel. When I
    decide to hit the road for a couple of days, I'll easily be able to move
    them back up.

    Buy a cyclocross bike and be happy. The entry-level CX bikes, especially
    the ones from North American makers, are supremely versatile: sturdy,
    responsive, not too heavy, and yet they mostly have mounts for racks and
    fenders.

    A CX bike works fine as a road-race bike as well. You give up a tiny
    amount of aerodynamics, and some will argue that cantis are a little
    fussier to set up than caliper brakes (and they'll probably be right).

    But so what? It's otherwise the perfect sawzall bicycle.


    It thought he was looking for a semi-long distance touring bike. The cross
    geometry isn't going to be that comfy, imo. Plus I wonder what the higher
    BB does for handling.

    The BB is probably a non-issue. Note that criterium geometry already
    specifies high BBs (slightly better ground clearance) and those bikes
    handle well, more or less.

    On one hand, I have been racing, commuting, and club riding on a CX most
    of this year. I don't feel any substantial handling differences between
    it and my early-80s Miyata tourer (set up as a fendered, racked
    commuter). It's lighter.

    On the other hand, I suspect my Nashbar "X" CX frame of being rather low
    in the BB by CX standards.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com/
    "I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
    to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos

  6. Ryan Cousineau said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    RBrickston said:

    It thought he was looking for a semi-long distance touring bike. The cross
    geometry isn't going to be that comfy, imo. Plus I wonder what the higher
    BB does for handling.


    The BB is probably a non-issue. Note that criterium geometry already
    specifies high BBs (slightly better ground clearance) and those bikes
    handle well, more or less.

    I don't think the BB height is that big a deal either. It would be an
    extra 0 to 5cm compared to a racer or tourer. This would be similar to a
    track bike which needs the extra clearance for banked tracks and the
    higher center of gravity to improve low speed handling (ie you don't
    need to lean as much to shift your weight to do a track stand). We
    aren't talking anything close to mountain bike BB heights here.

  7. Paul Myron Hobson said:
    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Buy a cyclocross bike and be happy. The entry-level CX bikes, especially
    the ones from North American makers, are supremely versatile: sturdy,
    responsive, not too heavy, and yet they mostly have mounts for racks and
    fenders.

    RBrickston said:

    It thought he was looking for a semi-long distance touring bike. The cross
    geometry isn't going to be that comfy, imo. Plus I wonder what the higher
    BB does for handling.

    I guess the best way to describe what I want is a very sporty, drop-bar
    commuter that will act mostly as a practical road bike the majority of
    the time, and a light tourer a couple of times a year.

    I think we understand what you're after, something the British would
    call an Audax bike. Possibly the rest of Europe calls it that too, I'm
    not sure.
    http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3598

    I agree with the suggestion for the CX bike, as the entry level versions
    are often similar to this but made to cope with slightly worse terrain.
    The high end versions are purely for C racing and lack mounts for
    bottles, racks, etc.

  8. anth said:

    This would be similar to a
    track bike which needs the extra clearance for banked tracks and the
    higher center of gravity to improve low speed handling (ie you don't
    need to lean as much to shift your weight to do a track stand). We
    aren't talking anything close to mountain bike BB heights here.

    So is *that* why I can't seem to trackstand my touring bike?

    --
    Luigi de Guzman
    http://ouij.livejournal.com

  9. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Luigi de Guzman said:
    anth said:

    This would be similar to a
    track bike which needs the extra clearance for banked tracks and the
    higher center of gravity to improve low speed handling (ie you don't
    need to lean as much to shift your weight to do a track stand). We
    aren't talking anything close to mountain bike BB heights here.

    So is *that* why I can't seem to trackstand my touring bike?

    No.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com/
    "I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
    to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos

  10. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    RBrickston said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    Paul Myron Hobson <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > landotter wrote:
    > > I'd be more concerned with wheelbase and trail than BB height with
    > > light touring. Paul seems to want something a bit more sporty than
    > > your run of the mill heavy tourer. Thus his musings on bikes like the
    > > Cross Check.
    >
    > Correct. During my continuing recovery, this bike, would probably see
    > 75% use commuting, 25% riding for the hell of it (fast, maybe). Once
    > cleared from the Doc, commuting goes back to the SS, so this bike would
    > see >80% sporty stuff and <20% light touring (optimistically).
    >
    > My thinking is that I'll keep the fork long and handle bars higher for
    > now. When I'm ready, I'll move them down for a sportier feel. When I
    > decide to hit the road for a couple of days, I'll easily be able to move
    > them back up.

    Buy a cyclocross bike and be happy. The entry-level CX bikes, especially
    the ones from North American makers, are supremely versatile: sturdy,
    responsive, not too heavy, and yet they mostly have mounts for racks and
    fenders.

    A CX bike works fine as a road-race bike as well. You give up a tiny
    amount of aerodynamics, and some will argue that cantis are a little
    fussier to set up than caliper brakes (and they'll probably be right).

    But so what? It's otherwise the perfect sawzall bicycle.


    It thought he was looking for a semi-long distance touring bike. The cross
    geometry isn't going to be that comfy, imo. Plus I wonder what the higher
    BB does for handling.

    The BB is probably a non-issue. Note that criterium geometry already
    specifies high BBs (slightly better ground clearance) and those bikes
    handle well, more or less.

    On one hand, I have been racing, commuting, and club riding on a CX most
    of this year. I don't feel any substantial handling differences between
    it and my early-80s Miyata tourer (set up as a fendered, racked
    commuter). It's lighter.

    On the other hand, I suspect my Nashbar "X" CX frame of being rather low
    in the BB by CX standards.

    If the OP is exactly and precisely like you, there is the solution.

  11. Ryan Cousineau said:
    Quoted message said:


    So is *that* why I can't seem to trackstand my touring bike?

    No.

    Drat!

    Actually, I'm having trouble with fender/toeclip overlap, so I can't yank
    the front wheel over far enough. Fooey.

    --
    Luigi de Guzman
    http://ouij.livejournal.com

  12. I can second the Surly Pacer. It accepts wide tires up to 32 or 28 mm
    with fenders. It is very comfortable, and I have carried ~30-40 lbs on
    the Blackburn expedition rack that I have mounted without problems.

    Toshi

  13. anth said:
    Ryan Cousineau said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    RBrickston said:

    It thought he was looking for a semi-long distance touring bike. The cross
    geometry isn't going to be that comfy, imo. Plus I wonder what the higher
    BB does for handling.


    The BB is probably a non-issue. Note that criterium geometry already
    specifies high BBs (slightly better ground clearance) and those bikes
    handle well, more or less.

    I don't think the BB height is that big a deal either. It would be an
    extra 0 to 5cm compared to a racer or tourer. This would be similar to a
    track bike which needs the extra clearance for banked tracks and the
    higher center of gravity to improve low speed handling (ie you don't
    need to lean as much to shift your weight to do a track stand). We
    aren't talking anything close to mountain bike BB heights here.

    The reason you want a low BB on a touring bike is so you can "dab"
    easier, making starting and stopping with a heavily loaded bike much
    easier.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.