HELP! I realized the bike I bought 6 months ago is too big!



cheapie

New Member
Aug 16, 2004
847
0
0
i just bought my wife a trek 2100 wsd yesterday w/700 wheels. a size 51. are you guys saying a wsd should never have 700 wheels, or just the smaller sizes. basically sub-50cm tt?
 

gclark8

Member
Apr 13, 2004
3,522
6
0
73
Smaller wheels, this is why some of us ride Hybrids, with 26" MTB wheels/slicks, etc, and flat bars, the 650c/sub 50cm tt biles are just not available as easily.

My MTB is esier to ride than my Felt, both have same effective TT length / seat post angle, but different bb drop, so the MTB-hybrid is lower.
 

cheapie

New Member
Aug 16, 2004
847
0
0
gclark8 said:
Smaller wheels, this is why some of us ride Hybrids, with 26" MTB wheels/slicks, etc, and flat bars, the 650c/sub 50cm tt biles are just not available as easily.

My MTB is esier to ride than my Felt, both have same effective TT length / seat post angle, but different bb drop, so the MTB-hybrid is lower.

what size is your felt?
 

gclark8

Member
Apr 13, 2004
3,522
6
0
73
Felt is a 53 cm

MTB is 18" with road forks.

Just got back from a ride with traing partner,
she has Giant Perigee (flat bar Tiagra) 17", and we swapped bikes twice, each time the MTB with the small wheels was quicker and more responsive, no mater which one of us rode it. I am 5'7", she is 5'2", both over 55.

This morning We stoped off at a Felt shop (BF South Perth) and looked at the new Felt SR81-650 size 47, with a 487mm tt, and it fitter her better than a glove!

Yes even with Giant fit chart saying "it fits", the gut feeling is the Perigee is way too big for her, mainly the wheel size and wheel base. bourdreaux is spot on!! :)
 

cheapie

New Member
Aug 16, 2004
847
0
0
gclark8 said:
Felt is a 53 cm

MTB is 18" with road forks.

Just got back from a ride with traing partner,
she has Giant Perigee (flat bar Tiagra) 17", and we swapped bikes twice, each time the MTB with the small wheels was quicker and more responsive, no mater which one of us rode it. I am 5'7", she is 5'2", both over 55.

This morning We stoped off at a Felt shop (BF South Perth) and looked at the new Felt SR81-650 size 47, with a 487mm tt, and it fitter her better than a glove!

Yes even with Giant fit chart saying "it fits", the gut feeling is the Perigee is way too big for her, mainly the wheel size and wheel base. bourdreaux is spot on!! :)

hmmm...you really wouldn't want smaller wheels on the 53" and 18" frames they might spin up quicker but they're not going to have the same momentum at cruising speed. i'm guessing you do more steady riding than sprinting. ;) i suppose they would be decent on the 47" frame because it would allow the frame demensions to be where they need to be.
 

boudreaux

New Member
Oct 16, 2003
5,133
0
0
cheapie said:
hmmm...you really wouldn't want smaller wheels on the 53" and 18" frames they might spin up quicker but they're not going to have the same momentum at cruising speed. i'm guessing you do more steady riding than sprinting. ;) i suppose they would be decent on the 47" frame because it would allow the frame demensions to be where they need to be.
Just more nonsense.
 

dhk

New Member
Sep 1, 2003
2,259
0
0
75
boudreaux said:
Just more nonsense.
Yep, the "crusing momentum" theory has been pretty well debunked over the last 100 years as our wheels evolved from cast iron to steel to light alloy. Except for riding no-hands, can't say I miss the old heavyweight steel rims at all.
 

meb

New Member
Aug 21, 2003
1,219
0
36
kaian said:
I couldn't find shorter cranks than 165mm that will work with my bike. So, that's not an option. I think the knee issue has more to do with my seat being moved forward to compensate for the long reach.

If I can sell my bike and get close to what I paid for it, I think it's best for me to just buy something else in the same price range that fits well. I don't want to spend money modifying a bike that is too big only to find out I am still having problems. Trek makes a 1000 WSD that has similar components to the Allez Triple for $500-something. This might be the way to go. Or get something used on ebay that's even nicer for cheaper.

I am more of a MTB'er and just do road riding for fitness and fun. Nothing serious like racing, but I still need the bike to fit when I'm doing 30, 40 or 60 mile group rides.

I don't think I'll follow up with legal action and I doubt the shop will do much for me if I complain. I just know that I will not buy anything from them again!

I'd still try the shop even if you don't think you'll succeed. You might get a pleasant surprise.

Shorter cranks are available in 110 if you don't mind swapping rings as well. You can probably get used ones cheap on ebay to try shorter cranks. You didn't mention what size cranks you have on the mountain bike, maybe could even swap those over sometime as an experiment if they are shorter cranks.

Gaerlan has 110 mm bcd down to 140, primarily targetted for the recumbent market. Harris also carries short cranks in 110. Bikesmith design modifies 155 Dotek doubles to triples, have some larger short triples also.
 

meb

New Member
Aug 21, 2003
1,219
0
36
boudreaux said:
If it doesn't have 650 wheels, you will just be throwing more money away. There are a number of 'WSD' bikes that try and slip under the radar using 700c wheels,but they just don't fly. Check the TT length on your bike from the manufacturers website,and use that as a comparative number when shopping anything else. You will find that the TT can only get so short with 700c and you will also be buying into geometry and handling compromises to get there. This small frame and 700/650c has been beat to death,but the 650 always wins. No BS.

Here's a current thread on the 650c vs. 700c issue for 5'2" women:

www.cyclingforums.com/t175886-650c-vs-700c-wheels---need-advice.html
 

cheapie

New Member
Aug 16, 2004
847
0
0
maybe but a little decorum goes a long ways. if i jumped in and called your post nonsense w/o a stated reason for doing so, or an established relationship i can assume, from your previous posts, that you would respond in kind.
 

boudreaux

New Member
Oct 16, 2003
5,133
0
0
cheapie said:
maybe but a little decorum goes a long ways. if i jumped in and called your post nonsense w/o a stated reason for doing so,
Some people never babble in nonsense,so your lame hand is called.
 

cheapie

New Member
Aug 16, 2004
847
0
0
until empirical evidence is provided to prove/disprove the things we discuss regarding biking, people will offer differing opinions. that's one of the fun things about the sport. some people like carbon, ti, speedplay, spd, etc.

calling someone lame or nonsensical is just over the line. even if i was talking out of my posterior, you still should afford me a modicum of respect until i've shown myself unworthy of it. why am i lame for differing with your opinion? like many people here i'm an intelligent professional that bikes for fun and has accumulated some knowledge and experience on the subject over the years. don't think that your 3k post count gives you the latitude to browbeat me when i've only stated my opinion.
 

boudreaux

New Member
Oct 16, 2003
5,133
0
0
cheapie said:
calling someone lame or nonsensical is just over the line. even if i was talking out of my posterior, .........
There ya go. Reason enough. Not opinion either.Time to move on.
 

boudreaux

New Member
Oct 16, 2003
5,133
0
0
miater said:
are there any moderators here

this guys just being a ****.
You'd get tossed for using that vulgarity. But why don't you start a boudreaux is a d!ck thread ? They are so much fun and a great place for the d!ckweeds to vent. ;)
 

Doctor Morbius

New Member
Mar 15, 2004
1,792
2
0
cheapie said:
until empirical evidence is provided to prove/disprove the things we discuss regarding biking, people will offer differing opinions. that's one of the fun things about the sport ...
Cheapie, not trying to gang up on you here but there actually is empirical evidence to debunk your previous post. Boudreaux and DHK are correct in this matter.

cheapie said:
hmmm...you really wouldn't want smaller wheels on the 53" and 18" frames they might spin up quicker but they're not going to have the same momentum at cruising speed.
 

miater

New Member
Nov 9, 2003
52
0
0
boudreaux said:
You'd get tossed for using that vulgarity. But why don't you start a boudreaux is a d!ck thread ? They are so much fun and a great place for the d!ckweeds to vent. ;)


that would be funny. maybe i will.

honestly thought you think maybe you could ease up .

not everyone is born as brilliant as you.