I think I may have stripped my Veloce caliper's rear bolt....only the hex head. A while ago, I found my rear brake caliper was out of alignment and one side (brake pad) was rubbing against my rim. I used my hex key to adjust the caliper back into position and tighten the bolt. It tightened fine and I thought all was well. I recently went back to double check for tightness and shavings started flaking out of the adjusting hex head...the head was somehow stripped by my key, I don't know how, but it now does not seem to want to tighten. I contacted Campy, but no response yet. Am I stuck with buying a new caliper just for this or are there bolts readily available? My bike store tells me they don't know and that I'll probably have to replace the caliper, even though it's only the head of the bolt that is damaged. Your feedback is appreciated.
Cycling Equipment · Public discussion
Help! I stripped my caliper's bolt!
Thread navigation
Jump through the discussion
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- Cycling Equipment
- Published
- 27 November 2004
- Last activity
- 27 November 2004
- Original author
- lohsnest
- Posts
- 6
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 931
- Views / 30 days
- 0
- Topics
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
lohsnest said:
I think I may have stripped my Veloce caliper's rear bolt....only the hex head. A while ago, I found my rear brake caliper was out of alignment and one side (brake pad) was rubbing against my rim. I used my hex key to adjust the caliper back into position and tighten the bolt. It tightened fine and I thought all was well. I recently went back to double check for tightness and shavings started flaking out of the adjusting hex head...the head was somehow stripped by my key, I don't know how, but it now does not seem to want to tighten. I contacted Campy, but no response yet. Am I stuck with buying a new caliper just for this or are there bolts readily available? My bike store tells me they don't know and that I'll probably have to replace the caliper, even though it's only the head of the bolt that is damaged. Your feedback is appreciated.
Why don't you figure out what if anything is stripped before you start freaking out over parts. Could be the pivot bolt is stripped,could be the binder nut,and it could be the bolt is just too long for your frame. Remove the caliper and see what the story is. www.branfordbike.com has campy replacement parts.
-
It is the rear allen nut...the hex head itself is stripped...the sides are stripped, and therefore, I can no longer use my hex key to adjust it. I found it on Branford bike...looks like an inexpensive $7.00 part...... thanks for the feedback.
boudreaux said:
Why don't you figure out what if anything is stripped before you start freaking out over parts. Could be the pivot bolt is stripped,could be the binder nut,and it could be the bolt is just too long for your frame. Remove the caliper and see what the story is. www.branfordbike.com has campy replacement parts.
-
lohsnest said:
It is the rear allen nut...the hex head itself is stripped...the sides are stripped, and therefore, I can no longer use my hex key to adjust it. I found it on Branford bike...looks like an inexpensive $7.00 part...... thanks for the feedback.
LBS has em for less and no shipping.
-
Would you happen to have a web address?
Thanks
boudreaux said:
LBS has em for less and no shipping.
-
lohsnest said:
Would you happen to have a web address?
Thanks
Local Bike Shop (LBS). Probably right down the street.
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.