Women's Cycling · Public discussion

Help me define my leg muscles

Started by a j haggerty · · Last activity · 11 posts · 11,455 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Women's Cycling
Published
10 May 2004
Last activity
9 July 2005
Original author
a j haggerty
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
11,455
Views / 30 days
5

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Okay guys really need some help!!!

    Okay heres the problem, when i was younger about 9 to 16 my hobbie was horse riding, i had horses for about 7 years, which kept my lower legs muscels in great shape. I gave up riding at 16 for about 4 years and done nothing, apart from drink loads of alcohol and eat junk food! My friend got me started cycling last February when i bought my first MTB, a Trek 4500. We done loads of miles year and now i have a Giant OCR, but my legs are still very fatty!

    Just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and how to get rid of the FAT!!!!!!!!!!!

  2. Same problem...years of sedantary life have ruined my legs! The best thing for toning legs is power walking. I walk 4+ times a week outside of riding to lose the flab on my haunches! My thighs are in bad shape. Last April, I started on a workout regimine that included leg presses, squats and butt/hammie crunches all on weighted machines. I also walked, cycled and swam some. By August, my legs looked great! I'd lost tons of inches and was down into an 8-10 for the 1st time in years! Then winter set in, I was still eating the carbs for cycling, but not riding much and I gained some of the weight back...mostly in my legs.

    So, I'm back where I started! Crunches, lunges, squats and presses in addition to walking every single day at least 30 minutes.

    That's the best advice I can give.

    Kim in TN

  3. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by trekchic
    Same problem...years of sedantary life have ruined my legs! The best thing for toning legs is power walking. I walk 4+ times a week outside of riding to lose the flab on my haunches! My thighs are in bad shape. Last April, I started on a workout regimine that included leg presses, squats and butt/hammie crunches all on weighted machines. I also walked, cycled and swam some. By August, my legs looked great! I'd lost tons of inches and was down into an 8-10 for the 1st time in years! Then winter set in, I was still eating the carbs for cycling, but not riding much and I gained some of the weight back...mostly in my legs.

    So, I'm back where I started! Crunches, lunges, squats and presses in addition to walking every single day at least 30 minutes.

    That's the best advice I can give.

    Kim in TN

    Thanks Kim

    I've been jogging for the last couple of months too, i'm doing a 10k run on Sunday which i thought would help them, it has a bit but not much. Sometimes i look at them and think they look not bad im getting there but then there are time, which is most of the time when the look terrible. Its only the bottom half with me. I partly blame my mother as she has the same legs!!!

  4. I say "you have to chose your parents well"!! A lot of this stuff is definately hereditary and women tend to put weight on their hips. I know this about chosing your parents wisely cos I have a sister who is a freaking bean pole and doesn't work out, eats junk and is still slim. I think we are both lucky that we have small bodies; but, me being 5'5" I have had to work at keeping those pegs in good order. She is definately soft so doing all the above exercises definately has given me the edge. So definately keep the good work up there. Men are lucky genetically - have you seen the legs on Ratty (forum)? Lord what I would give?!?!? Ayways, cutting grotty food out helps - I tell you though I was in a race at the weekend and some of those ladies had some thighs on them - they were excellent bikers and kept me at my pace!

    Embrace those thighs ladies -

  5. I rode like 400+miles since summer and I have this groove on my thighs by my knees..Squats, mtn. biking, and walking help out alot. Does anyone have any advice for the inner thigh? and ladies..most of our fat is stored in the thighs, or that's what i heard. Workout and love yourself 🙂

  6. lunges. lots of lunges. if pain is any indicator, those are great for your legs/butt. 😉

  7. I'm a bodybuilder. If you want lean, defined legs, 90% has to do with YOUR DIET. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

    You can have great muscles in your abs, your legs, etc, but if they are hidden by bodyfat, you will never see them.

    I recommend you start looking at sites like bodybuilding.com to get an idea of how to eat for the look you are looking for!

  8. missy24 said:

    I'm a bodybuilder. If you want lean, defined legs, 90% has to do with YOUR DIET. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

    You can have great muscles in your abs, your legs, etc, but if they are hidden by bodyfat, you will never see them.

    I recommend you start looking at sites like bodybuilding.com to get an idea of how to eat for the look you are looking for!

    I agree that reducing bodyfat is all about DIET, but I'd be careful following a bodybuilding dietif your goal is to ride consistently, and especially if you're competitive. (If your goal is only to look good without regard to performance then this doesn't apply to you 🙄 )

    I used to bodybuild, and I ate like a bodybuilder when I began endurance sports (running, primarily with some biking thrown in for crosstraining). I found that there weren't NEARLY enough calories OR carrbs in my diet to keep me going. When I added more carbs to my diet my speed increased considerably and I felt a whole lot better.

    Listen to your body, pay attention to how your clothes fit (not the scale!), have a ton of patience and remember:

    TO LOSE FAT CALORIES IN MUST BE LESS THAN CALORIES OUT!!!

    Aim for a calorie deficit of about 500 cals/day and eat quality food. Being more strict than that is counterproductive..your body will respond by slowing your metabolism to match your diet.

    You'll get there.

  9. Sorry for the confusion, I wasn't suggesting she eat like a competing bodybuilder. I suggested she start researching how to eat for lean muscle definition by visiting bodybulding.com and the like.

    There is a difference in contest-prep dieting - some bb's tend to go low carb and that wouldn't work for your riding.

    There are other types of bodybuilding type plans that will get you the legs you want by losing fat and keeping muscle.

    I ride at least 4 times a week and maintain my muscles. Seriously, you can have legs like mine 😉 - but you have to eat right and eat smart.

  10. cheapie said:

    lunges. lots of lunges. if pain is any indicator, those are great for your legs/butt. 😉

    I prefer squats to lunges - 6 of one...

    oh yeah, and eat right!

    :eek:

    What they said.

  11. Interesting thread! I've been riding a Trek 4500 too! It was my first mountain bike. Then, like you, I switched to the Giant, but a TCR rather then an OCR. I've also taken up jogging which I do a few times a week. I've had weight problems in the past and reciently have noticed some MAJOR changes with my muscles and body. I've controlled my intake of non-organic, processed foods, along with cutting out all white flour and white sugar products. This diet works wonderfully. I am so impressed with the results. The key is that you cannot really loose fat in one spot on your body. Instead, fat is lost everywhere, gradually. Good luck and keep up the tips. Eat carbs, but make sure they are carbs from heaven, including natural, whole grain products. :p

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.