General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Help me transform my body and have fun

Started by stryped · · Last activity · 19 posts · 377 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
17 April 2006
Last activity
18 April 2006
Original author
stryped
Posts
19
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
377
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–19 of 19
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. x-no-archive:yes

    I am a male and 34. I weight 175 6 feet tall with around 16% bodyfat. I
    try to eat low carb because my family has diabetes. (And I dont want
    it.)

    Everyone says I am skinny. My wife says I look like I am just straight
    up and down when she looks at me. I have no butt.

    I need help with a diet and exercise program. I really dont weant to
    gain alot of weight. I have to exercise myself and have limited time. I
    have a weight bench at home and a treadmill. Admittantly I like to run
    when I can but I find it hard to muster the energy to lift weights but
    I would like to at home to transform my physique.

    During the week I eat a low carb breakfast bar and bannanna for
    breakfast. Lunch usually turkey and peas and diet coke. Snacks during
    the day are turkey jerky. At night and evening I eat a regular supper
    and snacks within reason. Weekends I eat more. Again within reason.

    I am not a wimp but may look like one. I was into martial arts for
    three years and loved sparing but had to give it up because of kids and
    time constraints.

    Any advice is apprecited!

  2. "stryped" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    x-no-archive:yes

    I am a male and 34. I weight 175 6 feet tall with around 16% bodyfat.
    I
    try to eat low carb because my family has diabetes. (And I dont want
    it.)

    Everyone says I am skinny. My wife says I look like I am just straight
    up and down when she looks at me. I have no butt.

    I need help with a diet and exercise program. I really dont weant to
    gain alot of weight. I have to exercise myself and have limited time.
    I
    have a weight bench at home and a treadmill. Admittantly I like to run
    when I can but I find it hard to muster the energy to lift weights but
    I would like to at home to transform my physique.

    During the week I eat a low carb breakfast bar and bannanna for
    breakfast. Lunch usually turkey and peas and diet coke. Snacks during
    the day are turkey jerky. At night and evening I eat a regular supper
    and snacks within reason. Weekends I eat more. Again within reason.

    I am not a wimp but may look like one. I was into martial arts for
    three years and loved sparing but had to give it up because of kids
    and
    time constraints.

    Any advice is apprecited!

    If you want to put some meat on your bones, start working on compound
    movements with weights. These include deadlift, squat, bench press (the
    three lifts that comprise the sport of powerlifting) plus others like
    pullups, military presses, etc. A good beginner's book on weight
    lifting is Pavel's "Power To The People!" which I highly recommend. It
    explains the difference between getting bigger and getting stronger and
    tells you how to do both if that's your wish as well. See
    http://www.kbnj.com/ptp.htm for a more thorough description from the
    publisher's web site.

    You will also find good information on lifting weights at
    http://www.stumptuous.com, http://www.exrx.net, and many other places on
    the Internet. But if you "find it hard to muster the energy to lift
    weights" then I doubt you'll accomplish much. Do some reading and set
    yourself a goal, e.g., to perform a squat or deadlift with 1.5 times
    your bodyweight within the first year of lifting, and work hard until
    you achieve it. If you can't figure out how to deadlift or squat at
    home, load up a couple of suitcases nice and heavy (50-100 lbs. each)
    then walk around alot with them - there are lots of ways to get strong,
    but you need to support some weight in order to do so.

    As to food, I'd go for more normal, healthy food - lose the diet soda
    and the breakfast bar, substitute something closer to real, e.g., if you
    have to have a bar, get one that's made with natural ingredients and
    isn't 'low' anything. I like the ones I get here:
    http://www.warriordiet.com Maybe a little less turkey and have a steak
    or a burger - won't kill you, you know. 🙂

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

  3. Pete said:

    "stryped" <[email hidden]> schreef:

    Quoted message said:

    I am a male and 34. I weight 175 6 feet tall with around 16%
    bodyfat. I try to eat low carb because my family has diabetes. (And
    I dont want it.)


    ...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I need help with a diet and exercise program.

    Okay. Take a lot of complex carbs. Lots of protein, and some fats.

    If both parents have diabetes, his chances not to get it are only
    about 50%. I don't think there is any question that restriction of
    calories will improve the odds to stay healthy.

  4. "DZ" <[email hidden]> schreef:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Okay. Take a lot of complex carbs. Lots of protein, and some fats.

    Quoted message said:

    If both parents have diabetes, his chances not to get it are only
    about 50%....

    In which case eating habits will not matter... does it?

    Quoted message said:

    I don't think there is any question that restriction of
    calories will improve the odds to stay healthy.

    He was asking for advice to gain weight, not to gain health...

    ----
    Pete

  5. "Steve Freides" <[email hidden]> schreef:

    Quoted message said:

    If you want to put some meat on your bones, start working on compound
    movements with weights. These include deadlift....

    Why always those deaflifts...? Why!? WHY!?!?

    I mean, squats stress the glutes, quads, hams and lower back...

    ----
    Pete

  6. Pete said:

    DZ schreef:

    Quoted message said:

    Pete:

    Quoted message said:

    Okay. Take a lot of complex carbs. Lots of protein, and some fats.

    Quoted message said:

    If both parents have diabetes, his chances not to get it are only
    about 50%....

    In which case eating habits will not matter... does it?

    Eating habits still do matter. Diabetes has a large genetic component
    but he can substantially decrease the risk from 50% through lifestyle
    changes.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I don't think there is any question that restriction of
    calories will improve the odds to stay healthy.

    He was asking for advice to gain weight, not to gain health...

    He stated his concern about health.

  7. "DZ" <[email hidden]> schreef:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I don't think there is any question that restriction of
    calories will improve the odds to stay healthy.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    He was asking for advice to gain weight, not to gain health...

    Quoted message said:

    He stated his concern about health.

    In one sentence he claimed he did not want diabetes. Who does...?
    The rest of the post, he seem more concerned about not looking like a wimp
    and gaining weight.
    Maybe it is better if we ask him...

    ----
    Pete

  8. Pete said:

    DZ schreef:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > I don't think there is any question that restriction of
    > calories will improve the odds to stay healthy.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    He was asking for advice to gain weight, not to gain health...

    Quoted message said:

    He stated his concern about health.

    In one sentence he claimed he did not want diabetes. Who does...?

    The short answer is that rational behavior depends on the risks
    involved.

  9. "DZ" <[email hidden]> schreef:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > He was asking for advice to gain weight, not to gain health...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    He stated his concern about health.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    In one sentence he claimed he did not want diabetes. Who does...?

    Quoted message said:

    The short answer is that rational behavior depends on the risks
    involved.

    What exactly were we talking about?

    ----
    Pete

  10. On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 21:46:35 +0200, "Pete" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    What exactly were we talking about?

    I believe it was "Short term memory loss in imbeciles".

  11. "Why always those deaflifts...? Why!? WHY!?!?

    I mean, squats stress the glutes, quads, hams and lower back... "

    The handbone's connected to the...
    wrist bone, the wrist bone's connected to the...
    arm bone, the arm bone's connected to the....
    shoulder bone.

    Every part of your body gets used except your eyebrows.

    And no, John, I'm not going to cite a pubmed for you.

  12. <[email hidden]> schreef:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    What exactly were we talking about?

    Quoted message said:

    I believe it was "Short term memory loss in imbeciles".

    Huh?

    ----
    Pete

  13. stryped said:

    x-no-archive:yes

    I am a male and 34. I weight 175 6 feet tall with around 16% bodyfat. I
    try to eat low carb because my family has diabetes. (And I dont want
    it.)

    Everyone says I am skinny. My wife says I look like I am just straight
    up and down when she looks at me. I have no butt.

    I need help with a diet and exercise program. I really dont weant to
    gain alot of weight. I have to exercise myself and have limited time. I
    have a weight bench at home and a treadmill. Admittantly I like to run
    when I can but I find it hard to muster the energy to lift weights but
    I would like to at home to transform my physique.

    During the week I eat a low carb breakfast bar and bannanna for
    breakfast. Lunch usually turkey and peas and diet coke. Snacks during
    the day are turkey jerky. At night and evening I eat a regular supper
    and snacks within reason. Weekends I eat more. Again within reason.

    I am not a wimp but may look like one. I was into martial arts for
    three years and loved sparing but had to give it up because of kids and
    time constraints.

    Any advice is apprecited!

    Low carb? Don't tell me your doing the Atkins thing? How bout not
    eating simple carbs, most bread, cake, tortilla, chips, soda, etc.

  14. On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 00:41:26 +0200, "Pete" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Huh?

    That was yesterday, I forgot.

  15. "Steve Freides" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "stryped" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    I am not a wimp but may look like one. I was into martial arts for
    three years and loved sparing but had to give it up because of kids and
    time constraints.

    Any advice is apprecited!

    If you want to put some meat on your bones, start working on compound
    movements with weights.

    Do you weigh more than 150 lbs. yet?

  16. "JC Der Koenig" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Steve Freides" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "stryped" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    >
    I am not a wimp but may look like one. I was into martial arts for
    three years and loved sparing but had to give it up because of kids and
    time constraints.

    Any advice is apprecited!

    If you want to put some meat on your bones, start working on compound
    movements with weights.

    Do you weigh more than 150 lbs. yet?

    Hey pal, Steve's World Record Powerlifting trophies weigh more than 150 lbs.

  17. "Pete" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Steve Freides" <[email hidden]> schreef:

    Quoted message said:

    If you want to put some meat on your bones, start working on compound
    movements with weights. These include deadlift....

    Why always those deaflifts...? Why!? WHY!?!?

    I mean, squats stress the glutes, quads, hams and lower back...

    I agree that squats are a better exercise for adding muscle, but the
    deadlift is much less technical and I think more people would squat
    better and with less injury if they'd learn to deadlift well, probably
    for a couple of years, before they ever tried a squat. And certainly a
    deadlift stresses the glutes, hamstrings, and lower back, if not the
    quads as much as squatting, but those are generalizations - what gets
    the work largely has to do with one's form - sumo provides different
    stresses than conventional DL, same goes for PL-style squats versus
    high-bar, narrow stance.

    This person is new to lifting and I believe deadlifting is a better
    choice for a while and until he gets to something at least a little bit
    heavy.

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

  18. Eat a lot. Lift heavy. Get info from the web. Try bodybuilding.com for
    specific exercises. Be determined and willing to spend time and put
    forth effort.

    Good luck

  19. Brahma said:

    Eat a lot. Lift heavy. Get info from the web. Try bodybuilding.com for
    specific exercises.

    Bodybuilding.com has a lot of poseurs who are short on clues and don't
    know it. There are better places to seek training programs and better
    sites for learning the proper execution of movements.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.